Cocaine - Gone but not forgotten or still dominant in the industry?

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by Dasein, May 21, 2019.

1. Dasein

Dasein Member

Man I just finished Noel Monk's audio book on VH and it made me think about cocaine. We know a whole lot of 70's and 80's & 90's music was fuel by cocaine.... Is it the same now? Are Bands like Imagine Dragons or big mixer producer guys still swimming in the powder? Does cocaine have a sound? And can we still hear that sound? I mean is there a big pile of coke on the mixing desk in a Taylor Swift session? Is bro country "snow" country? Is it a scourge today -- what gives? What's cocaine's place in the industry today vs what it was back in the day? Or is it still the day?

I have no idea beyond the thought that DRUGS are still as prevalent in the industry today, but like the cable TV universe, there's a proliferation of alternatives so there's no singular dominant drug anymore.... that cocaine used to be NBC, but now it's like bravo or the history channel...... but that's never been my scene so I'm only guessing.

2. tnvol

tnvol Ufologist Silver Supporting Member

I'm lucky enough to have never even seen the stuff in person. Let alone use it.

3. 27sauce

27sauce Supporting Member

It's still around, but it seems to be aging out a bit, IME. The sweet spot is definitely over/around 35.
    I don't think it's going anywhere.

Last edited: May 21, 2019
    saltydogg, Gasp100 and WornFrets like this.
  4. Thinline_slim

Thinline_slim Supporting Member

Nothing is more dated to me than 80s music production. Since we’ve cleared that obstacle hopefully the culprit is gone too.

5. Cody

Cody Well, look who’s undead! Silver Supporting Member

If that’s true, you need to change your avatar.

;)

6. 27sauce

27sauce Supporting Member

That’s interesting. SA is a pretty old school, coke town.

7. FPFL

FPFL Member

less drugs now, same amount of booze though.
    industry has changed.
    and
    we have technology for some of what drugs used to do.

BlueRiff likes this.
  8. Litterick

Litterick Member

A nasty drug enjoyed by horrible people.

9. Tony Foran

Tony Foran Supporting Member

You call that lucky ? ;)

10. Fishyfishfish

Fishyfishfish Member

It’s called Adderall now.

11. HesNot

HesNot Supporting Member

I have never tried the stuff - I've had friends who have and it mostly scared the you know what out of them because it was so immediately addictive. And very very expensive.

I can't imagine it's as popular in music as it was during the heyday of the 70s and 80s. But what do I know? With the normalization and in some cases legalization of weed, along with edibles, various strains, etc... I think it dominates all aspects of culture at the moment including music. I haven't heard much about ecstasy either but at my age I don't know how well my finger is on the pulse of young america anymore...

12. misterturtlehead

misterturtlehead Member

A casual cocaine user I know told me that he only snorts other people's cocaine.

Twelve or thirteen years ago I went to a party at the bass player's house after a gig. He had some cocaine. All of us did at least a couple lines. But after that some of us had enough of that and went to another side of the room to hang out and probably smoke some weed. But there were four or five people still sitting at the cocaine table. They all were talking. Later there were two or three people still at the cocaine table. They were all talking. But they did not appear to be talking to each other. They were just talking. Eventually there were only a couple people at the cocaine table. They were still talking. When they ran out of words they kept talking but in gibberish. By that time it was time for me and most of us to go. When we left the two folks at the cocaine table were still there talking gibberish.

13. RUSHFANnLV

RUSHFANnLV Member

I think pills are more prevalent today than coke.

14. soundchaser59

soundchaser59 Silver Supporting Member

You forgot to include "asking for a friend."

15. cragginshred

cragginshred Member

OP -great book, but sad for sure.
    I had a drummer in the days of 'Beepers' or pagers circa 1987 and there was plenty around for free.

These days I think designer drugs have taken over the way we saw it used recreationally in the 80's, as far as what the stars are doing, who knows?

16. Jonathan31

Jonathan31 Member

I highly doubt it is still dominant in the industry.

17. DrainBamage

DrainBamage Member

That's the only drug I would do if it was offered to me. What a rush!

gretschplayer, FbIsNotE and matt1969 like this.
  18. Dasein

Dasein Member

Like the ability to speed up the tempos?

19. Seth L

Seth L Silver Supporting Member

I rank it right next to Heroin in destructive powers.

20. Rockledge

Rockledge Member

In the 60s my generation was a lot more ignorant about drugs than society in general is now. Then we all thought coke was like pot, relatively safe.
    And of course, given the reefer madness mindset and the fact that "the system" and "the establishment" had lied to use about pot, we kind of figured they lied about all drug "enjoyment.
    Granted drugs weren't nearly as prevalent in schools among musicians as much as in sports
    ( when I was in high school you didn't go to the musicians for good drugs, the musicians and everyone else who imbibed went to the guys on the football team for the good stuff), there was a mindset among musicians and young people in general that drugs were "cool" and acceptable.

Now of course having had the experiences ourselves of what drugs REALLY can do to our lives, we know the truth about what various drugs are capable of , especial the negative effects such as addiction, withdrawals ( which are horror) and internal organ destruction.
    And as a result , we were the self appointed guinea pigs who gave society that knowledge and quite unintentionally put the reality of the nightmare that we thought was the path to Utopia into common knowledge.

I would think that coke , which when I was young we had no idea how destructive it was, is far more avoided now given that musicians now often know the history of the rock era and the devastation that drugs have had on the entertainment industry at large, including the music industry.

Logic would tell me that being far more educated now about drugs and that truthful and far more reliable information exists, that serious drugs like cocaine, heroin, alcohol, speed, and tobacco are probably not nearly as attractive as they were before we knew or trusted the truth about their evils.
    Hopefully young people have learned from our mistakes.
    You don't see nearly as many people getting their tobacco fixes on in public as you once did, I assume that the same thing applies to drugs that are done behind closed doors.
    The difference now is that the drugs people are taking seem to be far more deadly and dangerous.

Last edited: May 21, 2019
    mbenigni, uab9253, e??? and 6 others like this.