Coco Montoya came and played at the open blues jam last night.

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by stevieboy, May 4, 2016.

1. stevieboy

stevieboy Clouds yell at me Silver Supporting Member

Thought that might be of interest to those who claim no one any good ever goes to blues jams.

Yes, he's friends with the host. And he's friends with most of the guys he played with. But that's often true of many open blues jammers. I'm friends with the host of the jams I go to, too, and many of the other players. And he did get up with the house band rhythm section, but then, so did I.

About the only typical thing he didn't have to do was put his name on the signup sheet. He did get bumped up a bit ahead of people that were there before him, but none of us minded.

He's shown up at a few other jams I've been at over the years. Maybe the fifth or sixth time I've seen him at one.

2. stevieboy

[​IMG]

Carr Viceroy, btw. The other guy was playing one too.

Last edited: May 4, 2016
  3. leonard d rock

leonard d rock Member

fan of coco. great blues phrasing, lots of feel. underrecognized player

lousyatit likes this.
  4. ripple

ripple To keep fresh, keep capped & cold. Silver Supporting Member

Another one of those "upside down" guys. That always freaks me out.

GREAT player and by all accounts a very cool guy.

5. mannish

mannish Member

loved his playing with John Mayall, particularly Mayall's Chicago Line record along with Walter Trout. I have seen his exwife, Debbie Davies tear it slap dab up as well

6. Amplifier Owner

Amplifier Owner Member

i caught a guitar pick he threw at the Ann Arbor blues fest years ago. looks like he found a replacement.

7. stevieboy

Are you sure they were married? I hadn't heard that, though I had heard boyfriend/girlfriend at one point. No matter, I guess.

Anyway, I saw Debbie with AC once, at the Belly Up in the San Diego area. Then later I saw her at small venues in LA a couple of times with her band, which as I recall was a trio, but that was a while ago.

As far as Coco's family goes, his son is a fine guitarist, Mikey Mo he goes by. He comes to this jam fairly often and is friends with the other guitarist in the photo, whose name is Pat McClure. He's pretty good too!

8. mannish

mannish Member

Guess they weren't married, my bad. I have only seen Coco with Mayall mnay years ago and he was fabulous.

9. swiveltung

swiveltung Member

Seen Coco a few times now. Love his playing. My RIP friend played bass for a while when Coco was playing drums with Albert Collins.

10. Jazzandmore

Jazzandmore Gold Supporting Member

What you know about The Belly Up? :). Are you out in the San Diego area?

11. stevieboy

i spent 15 years there, and went to the Belly Up many times. When I first went it was half the size it is now, but went a lot after it expanded too. I've been in LA since the early nineties but that's not far, and have been to the Belly Up since as well, especially when I've been down for work. They don't seem to book quite as many national touring acts though as they used to.

Off the top of my head, I remember seeing there Albert Collins, Albert King, Gatemouth Brown with Duke Robillard opening, Anson Funderburgh, Lazy Lester, NRBQ...

Quite a few more, my CRS prevents me from coming up with them all. They'll randomly pop into my head for a couple of days! A lot of good local acts too.

The jam that this thread is about is in Simi Valley, btw. Not far at all from some parts of LA--the Valley particularly.

12. winterblu

winterblu Supporting Member

13. Jazzandmore

Jazzandmore Gold Supporting Member

I got stationed here 15 years ago, left and was blessed to come back on orders. Totally agree with you, they used to book some national acts, but that seems to have really slimmed down. Saw Robben there some years back.

LA has some great venues I love to see jazz at, Catalina Jazz Club and Royce Hall. Unfortunately even on a Saturday night you all's traffic is so insane I have stopped coming up there for shows. :(

14. DustyRhodesJr

DustyRhodesJr Supporting Member

Coco just referred to her, as bluesmen like to say, as his "old lady".:D:D

15. leonard d rock

leonard d rock Member

i saw an old john mayall concert with coco and walter trout on guitars and i liked coco's solos more. walter was blazing doing that volume swell trick while coco was hitting those bends after the beat and bending it more. wish i could do something like that