Cocobolo neck for Paisley telecaster

Discussion in 'The Small Company Luthiers' started by tdukes, Apr 17, 2015.

1. tdukes

tdukes Member

Chris Forshage is making me a neck for my paisley telecaster out of the same piece of wood as the neck of the Neo-H he made me last year. It's gonna be pretty cool!

[​IMG]

pima1234 likes this.
  2. derekd

derekd Supporting Member

Beautiful. Chris does great work.

Cocobolo is some heavy wood. Any concerns about the guitar becoming neck heavy?

3. tdukes

tdukes Member

I have worried a bit, but the balance on the Neo turned out so good I decided to give it a chance. Should know how it turns out next week!

4. derekd

derekd Supporting Member

Chris is repairing a Neo for me as we speak. I hope to get it back soon.

Looking forward to seeing the finished product on your tele.

5. graedb

graedb Member

That really suits the tele!
    I have a cocobolo neck on one of my guitars. The luthier said it's really nasty stuff to work with (the dust causes rashes on the skin etc). Once it's clear coated its a really nice looking wood

6. Quarter

Quarter Member

Nice Paisley! I like that a lot.

I love cocobolo, its a wonderful rosewood, but it can be very nasty to work with. I recently built one of my P6 lap steels out of solid cocobolo and even with taking care to minimise dust exposure, I ended up with some nasty rashes where the dust snuck in. I've got another to do, so I bought some Tyvek jump suits to try for this go around. Its such a beautiful and great sounding rosewood that I just don't want to give up on.

7. mwhy

mwhy Supporting Member

Hey, Chris will make it nice for ya!

8. Jon Silberman

Jon Silberman 10Q Jerry & Dickey Gold Supporting Member

I also love cocobolo - the body on one of my guitars is cocobolo front and back - but for a Tele neck, I guess I'm just not getting why. Why? Thanks.

9. tdukes

tdukes Member

I wanted a new neck for the tele because I've been using 1 7/8" nut width necks since I bought David Myka's #6 a couple of years ago. I had Chris make me a Neo-H with a cocobolo body and neck last year and really like the way the wood feels. The neck is very hard and stiff. The piece we got for the neck was quarter-sawn pretty nicely, seem light, and was big enough for two necks. When the Neo came out so great, I thought I would like the tele neck out of the same piece of wood.

10. jamess

jamess Silver Supporting Member

Cocobolo is one of my favorite woods. Should be great!

11. derekd

derekd Supporting Member

Cocobolo is nasty to work with. Mask required.

Since it is in the species of rosewood, I would guess you'd get the same sort of vibe you'd get if you had a rosie neck for your tele. Will be interesting to hear and see when it comes in.

12. tdukes

tdukes Member

Got this today. Wonderful neck. I love the way it plays and sounds. The raw unfinished cocobolo feels great. I guess I'll know by tomorrow if I have severe contact allergies to cocobolo.

[​IMG]

13. tdukes

tdukes Member

[​IMG]

The wood blank was a little thin so Chris added this ebony layer. I think it adds a cool accent. This is a 1 7/8" wide neck, so the fretboard hangs over the neck a little at the neck pocket.

The balance had been a concern, but it sits well in my lap and hangs where I put it on a strap without fighting or pulling. I don't know why, its got to be heavier than the old neck.

Todd D.

derekd likes this.
  14. stevieboy

stevieboy Clouds yell at me Gold Supporting Member

Just on the subject of looks, I've had a rosewood neck on a paisley body, which I liked. The dark headstock has a lot more affect on the overall look than I would have expected, and is different in a very interesting way. I like it.

15. PW214

PW214 Member

Beautiful! I wondered what I'd think with it on that tele but it's just beautiful. I have a custom being built (different luthier), it also has a cocobolo neck, front & back. It's only in the rough stages right now, so it's fun for me to see finished pieces in the same wood.

16. graydane

graydane Member

I had a cocobolo neck made for a guitar about 15 years ago and I love it. Love the color contrast and sound. Mine is lightly oiled and I love the feel of it too.

I think it really adds to the paisley tele great job and I think you will dig the feel and sound as well

17. chrisforshage

chrisforshage Supporting Member

Love the way this turned out! Wasn't too hard to work with as long as you wear a respirator. Trashed one belt sander belt, but that was about the only casualty

18. veinbuster

veinbuster Member

I didn't find a cocobolo neck had a noticable impact on the balance of the guitar. And I don't have anything that looks better.[​IMG]

19. tdukes

tdukes Member

Is that a PRS with a cocobolo neck?

20. PW214

PW214 Member

Beautiful. What guitar is this?