Coil split HB and P90

Discussion in 'The Small Company Luthiers' started by stan p, May 6, 2008.

1. stan p

stan p Member

Dear forum members,

Please advise if somebody had a custom guitar with the following pickups and wiring:

(1) Neck p90
    (2) Bridge HB - coil split + Neck p90 - fat tele kind of idea
    (3) Bridge HB - coil split
    (4) Bridge ful on HB

What pickups did you use for that? How did it work out? Any considerations?

I know Matte combined p90s with Buckers on his many guitars.

Thank you in advance to all who will respond;
    Stan

2. goof1073

goof1073 Member

I have one like that and utilized a maste volume, master tone (with push/pull pot) and a 3-way...works out really well for my needs. P'ups wise I have a S/D Phat Cat in the neck and my bridge was a custom wound p'up that's a cross bread between a PRS Artist and PRS #10...fat gritty tone.

3. stan p

stan p Member

Did it balance well? Were the HB coils balanced? Thank you for reply, Stan

4. jads57

jads57 Supporting Member

Didn`t Seymour Duncan just come out w/ a new p/up that`s both a P 90 and a Humbucker in one!

5. Austinrocks

Austinrocks Member

i have several guitars with split coil pickups actually most of my humbuckers are split coils, none with P-90s, but my fat strat with the single coils and split coil humbucker,

I use a dimarzio 500K push pull pot as my tone controls, works very easy that way,

on the strat it was easy since the middle pickup is noise cancelling, so I wired the humbucker in phase, on my dual humbucker guitars I have both of those in phase, and just use the humbucker for noise cancelling, you probably want the reverse phase on the humbucker so you can get noise cancelling on the P-90, it up to you if your concerned about noise.

As far as which pickups to use, the humbucker has to be 4 conductor.

the pickups I use are

Rio Grande Texas BBQs in both my Les Pauls, neck and bridge split on one of them, other I kept the original wiring

Rio Grande Fat Bottom Dual Calibrated set in my fat strat, the pick ups in a dual calibrated are matched for volume so you don't get a change in volume when switching pups, the Humbucker is split coil.

http://www.riograndepickups.com/

Amalfitano pups in my Epi Sheraton, those are also split coils neck and bridge, really great sounding pups.

http://mysite.verizon.net/res8n7ad/amalfitanopickups/id2.html

I had a LP special 57-77 which had P-90s but I never changed the original gibson pups.

6. rnib2u

rnib2u Member

I've got a Grosh Setneck that has 2 Fralin Unbuckers. The neck sounds awesome when it's split. Lindy wires the single coil extra in his Unbuckers so there will not be a big drop in volume when it's split. The bridge pup is very bright and trebly (?) when it's split. Both of the pups are the bomb. I'd do it again, if I had to do it over.:rolleyes:

7. stan p

stan p Member

Unbuckers... sounds like step in the right direction, but i thought in single coil mode they are voiced like strat singles?

8. eleanor296

eleanor296 Member

+1 Fralin's the way to go!
    Shoot him a mail, he'll wind you a custom set for a pretty reasonable price.
    I'd say a P-92 with an Unbucker will get you there.
    Go check his website, really nice guy, talked to him on the phone before.