• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Coil-split question

NoahL

This guitar has a humbucker with three leads, not four. The two "inner" leads have been joined inside and a single jumper wire emerges. The pickup splits fine with a simple switch, but the coil that is active with the split, the one closest to the bridge, is kinda shrill. I would just flip the pickup around but it's a zebra, and, you know, it would look funny. I've tried different combinations of schemes with these three wires, and I'm getting various out-of-phase tones, at various settings on this pickup and in the middle position, and reversing the wires on the other pickup doesn't help or another type of out-of-phase emerges. The current "ground" wire, which is the end of one of the coils, is also grounding the baseplate. Is getting the inner coil to activate in the split position just a matter of flipping the right wires on one or both pickups, or do I possibly need to ground the baseplate to the other (non-jumper) lead -- I.e., open the whole pickup up? That's what this diagram seems to imply:
http://proguitarshop.com/andyscorner/ez-mods-coil-splitting

I feel like I should be able to figure this out logically but I guess I'm too old or too dumb :). Thank you!!

Last edited:

cardinal

So with that middle wire floating, the pickup is a full power humbucker and grounded it activates only the screw coil?

Tying that wire to hot (leaving the other two wires connected as before) should short the screw coil and leave the slug coil active. Seems strange that it's killing the output completely.

NoahL

Let's make sure I'm not getting something wrong. Here's the wires. https://flic.kr/p/y9EyF7

Bare wire also carries the ground of the base. Bare + white = 9.4k. Bare/red 4.7k. White/red 4.7k. When I had bare connected to the pot belly, red to the split switch and white to the input lug, everything worked but I got the outer bridge coil in the split position, and it's too trebly. What should I do to get the inner coil the be active in the split position?

cardinal

Try:
Bare to the pot belly
Red to the split switch
White to the input lug

Have the split switch toggle between float and hot (the input lug).

walterw

Platinum Supporting Member
When I had bare connected to the pot belly, red to the split switch and white to the input lug, everything worked but I got the outer bridge coil in the split position, and it's too trebly.
leave all that where it is, but have the other connection on the split switch not go to ground, instead have it go to the same place the white pickup wire goes. that should leave the polarity the same but switch off the other coil instead.