coil splitting on an SG!?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by comet baby, Feb 29, 2012.

1. comet baby

comet baby Member

I have a Gibson les paul standard thats in the shop. I have been playing a friends sg and I am thinking about getting one. I have been trying out one that has the coil splitting and it is pretty cool, but i think i doesnt really make a significant difference. Also i might be up for adding them to my Les paul.
    Any info on any of this would be awesome. Thanks

2. Windup 43

Windup 43 Supporting Member

I use the coils splits for cleans w/ my SG (very useful IMO), but not w/ dirt.

3. robertkoa

robertkoa Member

I like the different flavors Coil Cuts bring to any guitar.

Some Humbuckers split more dramatically than others of course.

For me -it does not have to go all the way to Strat or Tele - because there are LOTs of cool single coil tones in between the extremes.

4. Gnarlly

Gnarlly Member

+1
    I have one of the newer coil-splitting SGs (in white ;) and it is a great feature for clean tones. I switch to humbuckers for dirt usually though.

5. dspellman

dspellman Senior Member

Folks have been coil splitting humbuckers since the '70's. If you've got a 4-wire two-coil pickup, you can set it to serial (standardhumbucking), parallel or single coil mode. And that's each, individually. Parallel mode is a thinner-sounding humbucking mode, single coil (you can leave either of the two coils active, by the way) is not humbucking, but will give you a result more like a strat-type pickup. How CLOSE it is to a strat-type pickup depends to a large degree on how it's wound. Generally, hotter pickups split better.

While you're going this, you may consider switching around your control setup. I have a couple of guitars that have a master volume and master tone (or two tones), with a Blend knob to combine the front and back pickups without losing volume on either. If you don't use two tones, you might consider converting one of them to a Chandler Tone-X (google it -- it's an active sweepable mids boost). And finally, you might consider adding a phase switch (or rather an "out of phase" switch). This puts the pickups out of phase (only when both are selected). In conjunction with a Blend knob and coil splits, you can get some really interesting sounds out of your guitar.

Also worth looking at are the new and old Gibson L6S guitars. The new one has a master volume, master tone (treble roll-off) and a master bass roll-off. The OLD one had a master volume, master tone (treble roll-off) and a master MIDS roll-off.

And finally, just to really confuse things, you might go back to last year's April Guitar Player and check out the schematics of Gary Brawer's passive but *sweepable* mids-cut. In this case the amount of cut is fixed, but the frequency is selectable. Very cool.

6. RobJ

RobJ Gold Supporting Member

Saw this on another forum. I havne't done ths yet, but might give it a try after I recover from shoulder surgery. Lot's of tone options.
    http://www.jimmypagewiring.com/

7. HoboMan

HoboMan Silver Supporting Member

I have coil splitting on my Les Paul Standard DC.
    I used Duncan Triple shot mounting rings. Made the installation very easy.
    I think it gives me around 21 different combinations when you have them on both PUs.
    I'm in a cover band and use lots of different combinations of the split coils.

[​IMG]

8. comet baby

comet baby Member

Yeah im considering having it done because my guitar is being repaired right now. My les paul is a 1997 standard the one without the pickgurard. does anyone know what kinda pick ups they used as the standard, and or if they are hot enough to get a nice clean split. Or, would i have to buy a whole new set of pickups that are for splitting. Thanks for all your help so far.

p.s. just got a graphite bridge installed for better tone and to decrease the amount of broken strings i get every week haha. I would recommend them to anyone.

9. HoboMan

HoboMan Silver Supporting Member

Mine is a 1998 Standard and it came with 498T & 490R PUs but they were two conductor and couldn't be split.
    I replaced them four conductor versions of the same PUs.