Coil tap noiseless p-90's or series /parallel?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by bluesking55, Feb 27, 2012.

1. bluesking55

bluesking55 Supporting Member

:munchGot a chance to get a set of noiseless p-90's, is it better and possible to wire split coil or series parallel?
    Pickups are 4 wire and guitar has 1 volume and 1 tone

2. dspellman

dspellman Senior Member

I don't think you split coil or series/parallel those. You can wire them to be out of phase with each other when "both" are chosen.

3. magicaxeman

magicaxeman Member

If you reverse the polarity of the neck pup it will cancel out the hum in the center position.
    To be honest I've never had a problem with the stock P90's in my PRS..

4. Jamie_Mitchell

Jamie_Mitchell Member

5. slugworth

slugworth Supporting Member

There are some different designs out there for noiseless P90s, but none (to my knowledge) that will do a coil split.

Kent Armstrong makes a dual sound P90 but it's not noiseless. I haven't used it.

You don't need 4 conductors to wire pickups out of phase. But you do need 2 conductors and a ground. If you tried to go out of phase with vintage-style braided shield one conductor wiring, you'd be making the braid hot, and that's not good. Even still, I've never been a fan of P90s out of phase. Not the best sound IMO, but if you need something different for the sake of being different then I suppose it could be worth doing.

One thing you could do is wire up your guitar for a high-pass filter, something like you'd find in most Reverend or some Hagstrom models. That doesn't involve altering your pickup's signal per se.

6. brianr0131

brianr0131 Member

noiseless P90s are actually humbuckers in most cases.....for example with Gibson P100's you can split them into real (pretty much) P90s.

I vote split if you can live with the hum.....if not parallel

7. just_one_more

just_one_more Member

Depending on the design, some can make it so you can kill off the hum canceling portion (like the SD stack types as well as others) of the coil yielding a true single coil P90 (or start pickup or what ever). In some cases removing the noise cancelling coil (often but not always below the other coil) makes it sound pretty different and some top end and chime comes in. On others it sounds almost identical except it hums. The way I like to do this and any pickup wiring experiments is to just use a clip wires and try it as long as it has easy access to the guts it is pretty basic work. Find what you like and don't like for that rig and then solder it up. As long as your just connecting the wires in different ways on passive pickups, there really isn't anything to fear. Try it and see if you like it.
    Just flipping the phase of one pickup doesn't make it hum canceling. It makes it out of phase (a sound some like but never really did anything for me) unless you flip the magnet as well. That is why it is call RWRP Reverse Wind and Reverse Polarity for hum canceling.

8. vortexxxx

vortexxxx Member

I have a P-90/P-180 pickup from Curtis Novak. It's tapped and you can either use part of the coil in tapped mode or the whole coil in P-180 mode. They aren't noiseless though. He can make these in P-90s or Jazzmaster pickups.

9. robertkoa

robertkoa Member

I used to have my Tech take a Stacked Single like a DiMarzio HS-2 and use a mini toggle that would be Series-off -Parallel.

With it's 2 coils in Parallel to each other it got brighter,very transparent , less mids, and would quack like crazy in almost any combination with the other 2 pickups, and was still Hum cancelling in Parallel, as most pickups are.

Depending on the amount of windings on the Hum cancelling coil of the P90 ( some modern stacked noiseless pickups have very asymmetric coils- where there's very few windings on the Hum cancelling coil ) - you might get a really bright transparent sound in Parallel with less bass and low mids.