• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Cold Dry Weather, fret ends sticking out.

LJD

Here in New England this cold spell is threatening some of my gear. My house is dried out from the heat blasting. Today I noticed my newest guitar (2016 Fender Tele) has the fret ends sticking out either sides of the fretboard. It was the only guitar not stored in its case all day for the last week or so. I'm guessing the fretboard dried out and contracted. The fit and finish (frets included) on this guitar was always perfect since I bought it this summer.

My question... Will they (the fret ends) go back to normal once the humidity goes back to normal?

jiml

Silver Supporting Member
Dang, is that what does it? The first fret on my old PRS Custom is now sticking out, it pricks my finger if I hit it just right...

How do you fix it?

cap10kirk

It should go back to normal once the temperature and humidity go back up. But, if you file off the sharp fret ends now, you won't have this problem again next winter.

musical123

Hi,

What is the best way to do this?

I saw a YouTube video where a guy used a finger nail file, but not sure if that would work.

Thanks

mattmccloskey

Silver Supporting Member
This is completely normal and old hat if you've owned lots of guitars over the years. (If you live in a place with 4 seasons).

As Bruce said, some humidity control goes a long way, as does putting the guitars away after use, and keeping them away from heat vents, radiators, fireplaces or open windows, etc.

Jdstrat

I live in Iowa, and we're in a super cold spell right now. We went away for three days over the weekend, my humidifiers ran out of water, and my music room was at 20% humidity this morning when I checked it. My guitars had lost so much humidity they were more than a half step flat. It always amazes me, the difference in guitars between 20 and 45% humidity.

Rob Donovan

Stick it in a plastic trash bag with one of those case humidifiers with the sponge in it and seal it up for a couple days.

If you want to be cheap, buy a couple dollar store plastic travel soap cases and drill some holes in the tops, drop in a wet (not dripping) sponge and voila!

Reactions: LJD

bigtone23

This is common out here in the mountain time zone. We all pretty much give the ends a filing during the low water mark of winter. After doing this, you should never have to do it again.

Mike Duncan

Staff member
All of my Fenders are in fret sprout mode at the moment.

My PRS is holding on...for the right now.

It was 3 degrees here in suburbs of the Nation's Capital.

Michel347

In between -4F and -20F since a week and 24% humidity up here, the ones with maple/maple neck are holding up, the one with mahogany/ebony neck is suffering a little, it always been like that every winter.

LJD

This is completely normal and old hat if you've owned lots of guitars over the years. (If you live in a place with 4 seasons).

As Bruce said, some humidity control goes a long way, as does putting the guitars away after use, and keeping them away from heat vents, radiators, fireplaces or open windows, etc.
Right. Until recently my guitars lived in southern California.

PaisleyWookie

Hi,

What is the best way to do this?

I saw a YouTube video where a guy used a finger nail file, but not sure if that would work.

Thanks

The best thing to do is take it to a qualified tech, and while the guitar is there, go buy a Vornado evap humidifier. Side filing frets isn't a job for beginners on an expensive guitar.

Jeff_G

Silver Supporting Member
This thread prompted me to get a humidifier. Needed one for my dry scratchy throat already but it was my guitars that actually made me get one. What’s good for the guitar is good for the guitarist.

Magnets And Melodies

Silver Supporting Member
If you're not humidity controlling the room, always leave the guitar in it's (hard) case. I have the opposite problem where my climate is dry as hell.. so I have case humidifiers for all of my guitars, including solid bodies.. that's on top of a room humidifier.. (if left unaddressed, it can get just below 20 on the humidstat here in the winter).

Trending Topics

Top Bottom