collaborations?

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by Melodic Dreamer, Aug 8, 2018.

1. Melodic Dreamer

Melodic Dreamer Member

I'm in my usual brain-fart stage. lol
    Busy with life and having writers block. It got me thinking of ways to break out of my normal box.

With everyone having recording equipment today, collaborating with others would be a breeze. Just curious if anyone on here is interested in recording a tune together (for fun). I thought it would be cool to maybe collaborate with someone. If nothing else throw the idea out and possibly spark a cool conversation.

2. bt2513

bt2513 Member

There is a group on the interwebs that does a song/challenge per week - its mostly experimental type stuff and a lot of synths but even if that's not your thing, its a great way to force yourself to try something different. No special tools required. PM me if you are interested - I'm not sure if its appropriate to direct link to other forums here.

Also, not to high-jack your thread, but I've been interested in a similar idea. I'm not sure anyone would even consider this, but I would love the opportunity to practice my mixing skills on a variety of material and instruments. If the group did collaborate and create some new tracks, I think it would be cool if a few projects were offered up as fodder to play around with (on some sort of licensing agreement that the tracks could otherwise not be disseminated in any other way for any other use). The songwriters get a copy of their mixed track back to do with what they want.

NeedmoreCrunch and scotth like this.
  3. Teal_66

Teal_66 Member

With so many different styles of music and genres, etc. It would really help to know what sort of music you want to do. For example, with me, it's just about impossible to find anyone in my area who does the sort of material that I do (Alternative, Indie, Rock). If there was someone - now that would be great.

I know that for Protools users, Avid has a collaboration infrastructure set up (I've never looked into it, but it's there)

scotth likes this.
  4. Melodic Dreamer

Melodic Dreamer Member

As long as it’s not rap or heavy rock/metal I’m good. I like indie, jazz, folk, blues and garage rock.

5. Crowder

Crowder Dang Twangler Silver Supporting Member

It’s a great idea. I have a backlog of my own stuff I need to record. I wish I had more time, but we still have two kids at home so I rarely get to focus on recording for very long.

I’m hoping this winter will provide me more time.

Melodic Dreamer likes this.
  6. Melodic Dreamer

Melodic Dreamer Member

I have 3 little girls at home so I know how you feel. lol
    I'm thinking more demo stuff. Just recording with others for the camaraderie of it. Being proactive and just doing something.

7. Stokely

Stokely Member

That is a good idea. I end up with a ton of song fragments that never actually get finished, as I lose inspiration and another one pops in my head :)

In the process of moving and renovating (involving 3 houses, 2 being renovated, 1 while our stuff was still in it....:p), all my stuff (music and other) is in boxes and I am out of energy. I think I'll be back up and running in a few months, the process has aged me 10 years....otherwise I might be personally interested. Regardless, a great idea.

And yes I love the song challenges. I'm only familiar with the synth ones on KVR, where they give everyone a particular plugin and say "only use this, see what you can do with it!" Fantastic way to evaluate an instrument, as 30 people are going to use it 30 ways.

8. _____

_____ Supporting Member

Great idea

If yur wanting to spread your wings a little check out the kompoze website

Lot of different styles and abilities on there. Some good, others not so much. Constantly new material to look through

It's kinda fun to work on different material/styles

Its free to upload mp3 but wav upload has fees involved.

Melodic Dreamer likes this.
  9. Melodic Dreamer

Melodic Dreamer Member

I signed up and browsed a little. At first glance not a whole lot going on.
    Will look at it more a little later.
    Thanks for the reply.

Anyone else interested?

10. Melodic Dreamer

Melodic Dreamer Member

Here is a small goofy idea I did. This is actually all in the box. Logic amp sims.

Just looking to create some stuff, doesn't have to be big epic pieces.

scotth likes this.