Collectable guitars under $1000

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by wrxplayer, Jan 21, 2008.

1. wrxplayer

wrxplayer Supporting Member

There was an interesting thread on guitar values a day or two ago. Got me thinking about picking up a couple of guitars as collectables if I can find them cheap enough.

I think I missed the boat on the obvious choices from Gibson and Fender. I don't think the market will sustain the appreciation on those going forward, especially with the constant introduction of new relic and/or historic models.

So do you think there are any "good bets" on guitars in the <$1000 price category now?

2. Leonardo

Leonardo Member

Considering the going price for early production PRS guitars, I'm thinking one of the first 24 frets Suhr. Especially if they're a limited edition or something.
    Don't think they'll cost under $1000, though. :D

3. FloridaSam

FloridaSam Member

American made Kramers, Charvels and Jacksons from the early-mid 80's though these are going up.

Aluminum neck Kramers.

4. GrecoVee

GrecoVee Member

You can add to that some of the early to mid`80's American made Dean, B.C. Rich and Hamer guitars
    For guitars made in Japan, you can add`70's and`80's Ibanez, Greco, Burny and Tokai.

5. re-animator

re-animator Senior Member

MIJ lawsuit guitars, but also the quirky american makes from the 60s/70s like supro, national, kay, airline, silvertone, dano, etc.

and don't forget MIJ gems like this:

[​IMG]

6. treeofpain

treeofpain Supporting Member

My rules for guitar investing:

1. Buy what you really like.
    2. Buy only clean and original pieces with no mods.
    3. Buy american - yes, I like the MIJ stuff too, but I don't think it will hold up compared to USA stuff.
    4. Buy the best example you can of whatever you choose. For instance, if you set your sights on a 70's BC Rich, then go ahead and get one with cloud inlays extc. If you want a 70's Hamer, get crowned and bound.
    5. When in doubt, see rule #1.

In your case, I would buy one cool guitar for $2k rather than two $1k guitars.

7. Gasp100

Gasp100 Silver Supporting Member

Early G&L's with the 3 bolt neck? Probably just wishing - I got what I consider to be a great deal on a mint one and it's on it's way as we speak. I'm hoping I don't ever want to sell it but stuff hasn't been lasting too long in my hands as of late...
    :jo

8. wornoutwords

wornoutwords Member

You can still pick up 80s and 90s heritages for under a grand. 150CMs and H157s are the most gibsonlike, whether that helps in appreciation or not i dont know. I dont have any experience with the semi hollow and hollow body guitars that they sell (or their prices) so can't comment on them.

G&L as well.. maybe, the early 80s ones can still be had fairly cheaply (well under 1k) and the leo fender history may help. Take a look at musicman though, that had the fender association in the 70s (?) too and it hasn't seemed to make them worth more than similar era/build/style guitars. G&L have a done a better job @ marketing the fender name though (it's on the headstock!) and all over the website etc.

Does being a 'copy' help or hinder though? (heritage=gibson/g&l=fender)
    Are heritage and g&l seen as guitars you buy when you dont want to spend the $ the equivalent gibson/fender? And will that affect their value in 10-20 years time or will they become recognised manufacturers in their own right?
    "i play a h157"
    "?"
    "it's an lp copy"
    "oh"
    vs
    "i play a h157"
    "sweet, SDs or HRWs?"

9. wrxplayer

wrxplayer Supporting Member

I took your advice with my first major guitar purchase in 25 years when I bought my PRS "pre-lawsuit" 2001 singlecut. Cost around $2K. It's absolutely mint and doesn't leave my house. And I really like playing it. If only Gibson had won the suit! Still, it's a guitar that won't lose value as long as I keep it nice and may appreciate.

[​IMG]

10. mlongano

mlongano Member

Depends on how long you live...if you can see your way clear to another 200 years, just about any guitar made out of wood will do. :rotflmao

11. The Eristic

The Eristic Member

I've seen '70s Guild solidbodies appreciate a bit over the last year or so, and I'd imagine they'll go up more as the Gibsons, Fenders, etc, become more and more difficult/expensive to acquire (and mags like VG dig them up more often).

Damned cool guitars, to boot.

12. Paul Conway

Paul Conway Member

US built Reverends, maybe? Prices are going up.

13. Riscchip

Riscchip Member

I concur on Kramers. The early pacers and most of the ESP made models seem to keep people's interest and are entirely decent guitars.

You can get some very nice early 80s USA Hamer guitars for well under $1000. Those are quite nice guitars, in my opinion.

14. wsaraceni

wsaraceni Member

great guitar, but dont get caught up in that "pre-lawsuit" singlecut stuff. they arent any more valuable than "post-lawsuit" ones.

15. johneeeveee

johneeeveee Member

That's what I was thinking. They're cool guitars and I'm guessing they will continue to increase in value.

Peace - jv

16. brentrocks

brentrocks Guitar Hack/Player Gold Supporting Member

there are some EVH guitars out there that can be had for deals....i would think they would go up in value after he is dead and gone??? (it may not be that long...lol)

17. tkozal

tkozal Supporting Member

Under $1000, I would also recommend looking at Pedals. But thats a different subject....

18. pcutt

pcutt Member

80's Guild Liberator - a superstrat with a set neck, Schallers, EMGs. I had one that I foolishly let go and regret it to this day. Not too many were made but it was a top notch instrument.

19. stratotonedude

stratotonedude Senior Member

Supro
    National
    Harmony
    Danelectro

20. Gasp100

Gasp100 Silver Supporting Member

I third the USA Reverends. Only about 5K made and they are very unique in design and sound... I have one on the way, I'm really just trying to pump this up so I can make a profit
    :moon (just kidding)