Collectible Only? NO thanks.

Pietro

2-Voice Guitar Junkie and All-Around Awesome Guy
A few months back I happened into a guitar store and there was a guy who I got talking to who was hemming and hawing about buying a particular guitar. It was a collectible (but not custom shop) Strat that was just... absolutely... beautiful... He said it was used (it looked and was, imho, brand new, totally mint) and he wasn't sure if he should save a few hundred or wait for a new one (which was coming in).

I asked, well how does it play, how does it sound? "Oh, I don't know... I don't play, I just collect these. Would you mind playing it and telling me."

It was without a doubt one of the 2 or 3 or 4 loveliest strat-style guitars I've ever put my hands on. It was WAY better than the under 2 grand it cost. (and I am a boutique guitar snob. 7 of the 10 guitars I've gotten over the past 15 years, not all of which I still have) were boutique... 5 Andersons, a Soloway, a Suhr... I have 2 Andersons currently, and a Mexican Fender so I have something not so "dear" when I need to play outside or in some nasty environment or something...)

I almost bought it just to spite the collector and see to it that it got played. (I couldn't afford it, I got a kid in college).

Does it break your heart, just a little, to think of the guitars that get collected but never played? (I'm not talking vintage guitars that are literal investments here... but new guitars that are purchased only to be looked at).

Benz2112

Memba?
Gold Supporting Member
Nah, it is just a material possession. Maybe when the guy cashes out, it will go to a killer player in the future. Think about all the vintage guitars that are super clean, we are thankful for those people who were either non players/gave it up/quit playing.

edward

Silver Supporting Member
Best not to judge folks for how they enjoy the hobby.

Plus not everyone is comfortable playing in front of other people. Easy to forget that some folks' enjoyment of guitars may outpace their skill playing them and it is actually hard for many people to put themselves out there.
Agreed.
And fwiw, I used to harbor that same "why" thought, but then realized it just isn't fair to the other guy, truly. We all enjoy things we enjoy in our own ways that derive fulfillment ...more power to him! :)

And on that second note, it's dang near terrifying to play a single chord in front of others! You see this everywhere. At least I do, perhaps because I was one of them, and it took me yeeeaaars to get over that. Been playing out now for some time, and it still "hits me" at times to the point where I have to talk myself out of the self-doubt. Just sayin... :D

Edward

I get it. I get that internal twinge of "You're just gonna...hang it on your wall and leave it there?" I get that same twinge when folks collect high performance cars and just park them. It's not really a feeling of judgment. It's more a bit of grief that it's not being used the way it should and nobody will get any enjoyment out of it the way it was designed other than to fill someone's collection. It's a bummer but at the end of the day, oh well. I don't derive enjoyment that way and I don't get people who do, but it's their hobby and their money. Just a drag that it'll be nothing more than a pretty conversation piece.

Tone_Terrific

Silver Supporting Member
It's too bad guitars don't get segregated by performance.
The collectors could then buy the 'lookers' and players could thumb through the 'players' without either group having to compete with one another.

Yam the BOMB

Blues Dentist
Platinum Supporting Member
I have some real nice one and I play them but I play poorly. But I don’t feel guilty. people like me help keep these companies profitable for you real players.
Plus just think of the rummage sale my wife will have someday.

NSDQRKR

Its a free country so whatever makes people happy.
GAS when it gets out of control can be like collecting and some guitars will not get played if it gets out if hand.
But again there are plenty of guitars for everyone…

mschafft

The real problem is deforestation. And eventhough I play there's no way I can justify owning 20 guitars in that respect.

AaeCee

Silver Supporting Member
I almost bought it just to spite the collector and see to it that it got played. (I couldn't afford it, I got a kid in college).
I only wish you woulda bought it so we could see this lovely Strat.

Riffi

Courtney DIDN’T Kill Kurt!
Silver Supporting Member
A few months back I happened into a guitar store and there was a guy who I got talking to who was hemming and hawing about buying a particular guitar. It was a collectible (but not custom shop) Strat that was just... absolutely... beautiful... He said it was used (it looked and was, imho, brand new, totally mint) and he wasn't sure if he should save a few hundred or wait for a new one (which was coming in).

I asked, well how does it play, how does it sound? "Oh, I don't know... I don't play, I just collect these. Would you mind playing it and telling me."

It was without a doubt one of the 2 or 3 or 4 loveliest strat-style guitars I've ever put my hands on. It was WAY better than the under 2 grand it cost. (and I am a boutique guitar snob. 7 of the 10 guitars I've gotten over the past 15 years, not all of which I still have) were boutique... 5 Andersons, a Soloway, a Suhr... I have 2 Andersons currently, and a Mexican Fender so I have something not so "dear" when I need to play outside or in some nasty environment or something...)

Does it break your heart, just a little, to think of the guitars that get collected but never played? (I'm not talking vintage guitars that are literal investments here... but new guitars that are purchased only to be looked at).
New guitars no. Vintage guitars yes.

AlexMalaska

Collector types only bother me when they drive the prices up in the used market across the board for one of my hobbies. For example: All of my hobbies :p

Trending Topics

Top Bottom