Collecting Brand New Gibsons

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by wrxplayer, Feb 1, 2008.

1. wrxplayer

wrxplayer Supporting Member

Last year when the new Gibson Jimmy Page signature doubleneck came out I had some extra money in the bank and thought of buying one as an investment. Turns out I couldn't get to the store opening weekend and decided against it when the guitars were still available at original price weeks later. They remain in stock items at GC.

Two weeks from now the new Jimmy Page signature les paul is being released. It's being promoted heavily by GC. There was a thread here last week (which I can no longer find) in which several people inidicated they were or had already made purchases for collection. One person went as far as predicting they'd be $25K on ebay shortly after being offered for sale.

So I'm wondering, when are these kind of instruments truly collectible and when aren't they? Or why some and not others?

2. GuitarsFromMars

GuitarsFromMars Member

3. ford

ford Member

The problem with the double necks is... they are double necks..... they just aren't as liked or as revered. I imagine the Jimmy Page Les Paul will be much more collectible.

bford

4. markom89

markom89 Senior Member

I can't answer your question, but I think that these will be collectible and people will pay more for them in a few years. A great example of this is the Rossington Sig LP that Gibson released a few years ago. You could of gotten one a few years ago (03/04) for not more than $4k, and now they're going for up to $9k... I really want one, but I just can't pay that much for something that was only $3500-4000 just 4 or 5 years ago... I think the same will happen with the Page sig LP, depending on how many will be made.

5. jeffwith1f

jeffwith1f Member

look at what happened to the reverse V. they turned a tidy profit right away. AND they reissued them almost immediate for $1000 more than they went for in the first place.

that being said there were lots of instruments in GOTW that were "limited" that did not move nearly as quickly and probably have taken a bit of a dive for the time being. Time will tell.

6. XKnight

XKnight Member

Based on the state of the economy right now I doubt those will go up in value right away. However, if they are indeed a limited run of say a few hundred or less, then after a few years I would predict they will go up in value. BTW, my predictions are often wrong.:cool:

7. treeofpain

treeofpain Supporting Member

It's a risky scheme...

8. Pietro

Pietro 2-Voice Guitar Junkie and All-Around Awesome Guy

Don't collect guitars. Play them!

9. markom89

markom89 Senior Member

Is this a joke?

10. BigPapiFan

BigPapiFan Member

I don't believe in "collectible" guitars. The past performance of collectibles - coins, stamps, baseball cards, Beanie Babies, Lionel trains - seems to indicate that collectible markets are volatile and highly unstable. Generally, pricing is more-or-less set by a relatively few interests that control these markets and make huge profits on them, smaller guys like me end up holding the bag with a bunch of items bought at inflated prices.
    Let's face it. There are a relatively few classic vintage guitars. Contemporaneously manufacturing "replica" guitars is just a way to cash in on the collector fad and sell new guitars at collectible prices. :NUTSWith the American economy apparently going down the shitter (Thanks, W!):worried:worried:worried, I'd avoid modern collectible guitars like the plague.

11. deoreo

deoreo Member

^^ I agree with that somewhat, but on the other hand, like markom89 said, if it truly is limited, it will increase in value over time (2 to 10 years.)

Is it worth it to you? That's the question. If you buy it to play occasionally, and admire it, for what it is - a guitar - then sure, go for it.

If you're going to stash it in the closet, well, you may be better off putting the money in savings or the market.

12. MarkAdam

MarkAdam Member

...or go one step further....

Build them for yourself AND play 'em :RoCkIn!

13. twinrider1

twinrider1 Member

Why is anything collectible? Can't be predicted accurately. The first JP LP run is worth a ton, IIRC $75k+.
    If you buy at list price or better, you probably won't get hurt if you can be a patient seller. Just don't do it with money you'll ever need right away.
    But I'd only buy something like that if it turned me on. If you're getting it just for the $$, buy stocks instead.

14. Droptop

Droptop Supporting Member

I can understand the desire to have a replica of the sunburst Les Paul that Page is associated with playing. But this black one with a Bigsby for $25K ??? A fool and his money.

GC near me has one of the new SRV Lenny guitars still in store. The one in Rockville still has an EVH Frankenstrat for $25K. Suddenly the John Lennon Gibson special is reasonably priced.

15. ZosoJJC

ZosoJJC Member

I think comparing the return on investment with the Page model burst (both the run of 25 and the Murphy run) with the speculated ROI on the Page custom is a mistake. What we dealt with in the first instance is a market driven partly by small numbers but mainly by emotion. That emotion exists in an exponentially less amount when dealing with the custom.

16. lukeII

lukeII Member

I can't believe any player would pay over 7 grand for a new Gibson or Fender custom shop guitar let alone the 75-90 k that I have heard the original JP played Murphy Lp's going for. You really need your cranium examined if you are buying one of those to play.

If on the other hand you are a purely speculative investor then it may be more a savvy decision allbeit logic defying, I mean they aren't even old wood or made to the old specs (In the case of the JPLP there is no Braz Rosewood board, Hide glue amongst other missing specs).