Collection for Sale

Discussion in '"How To" Tips for the new Software' started by oldtimer, Nov 7, 2017.

1. oldtimer

oldtimer Member

I am in the beginning process of selling my collection of guitars and amps. There are about 50 guitars and 15 amps... way too many to post individually. I've used the forum for years with questions about guitars, etc. I don't want to step on any toes. Is it acceptable to post a word document that contains the list of the gear in guitar sales and amp sales that has my contact email on it for those that may see something they are interested in?

2. mattjayworker

mattjayworker Supporting Member

With a workload as large as that I'd seriously consider starting up a Reverb account so that you can properly market your collection with some pics and details of the gear. It's free to post there and the platform makes things incredibly easy to use.

Then, after you've gotten things organized you could post a separate post here at TGP featuring multiple guitars and or amps within the "Guitar Emporium" and or the "Amps and Cabs Emporium" with a link to your Reverb page.

The bottomline with a situation like this is that if you truly want to maximize the value of your gear your definitely going to need to do some leg work if you want to avoid an inevitable boatload of headaches.

Hope that helps, Best of luck!

Last edited: Nov 7, 2017
    Rod likes this.
  3. PLX

PLX MENSA member, Astronaut, Dated Your Mom Once Gold Supporting Member

Ditto. Use Reverb.com

Recently unloaded a bunch of gear I don't want/use any longer on the site.

They even let you sell broken gear as "inoperable"... which is kinda cool.

4. oldtimer

oldtimer Member

Thanks all. I don't know all the rules. I will be using reverb.com, ebay, other I-net outlets and local sales outlets as well. I wanted to get the word out to those on this site especially because I keep reading statements like "yeah, I've wanted one of those for years but can't find one". Heh, heh.. I don't quite know how to upload my list yet but I've begun a little research. This will be a learning curve. There are some pretty awesome blackfaces and great guitars. The '74 Gibson LP Custom on my avatar is just one example. Like my TGP name implies, I'm kind of a techno-walrus. The gear needs to get with folks that will use and appreciate them. If it's okay with TGP staff and readers, I'll give it a shot fairly soon.

5. russ

russ Supporting Member

You have to be a 'supporting member' to post on TGP gear for sale section.
    It's like $12 for a year, and listing your stuff here can help move some items.
    I recommend it!

6. mattjayworker

mattjayworker Supporting Member

If you've got or can get yourself a smartphone and a gmail account......you'll already be half way there!

What part of the world do you and your gear call home?

7. oldtimer

oldtimer Member

Thanks for that heads-up.

8. oldtimer

oldtimer Member

How did you know about my old school mentality!! HA! I don't even have a dumb phone much less a smartphone. I do have a yahoo.com account however. I'm in the Tampa Bay area.

9. Laplacian

Laplacian Supporting Member

I'm in a similar boat. Threw some stuff up here and moved 3 out of 9 listed in a few weeks although you have to slash prices to sell here. Procrastinating now, but will go to Reverb and/or eBay. Have about 10-15 more amps and a similar # of guitars and recording equipment.

With this much stuff, it's a bunch of front end work: prepping for sale, photos, write-ups, posting, etc... and then a bunch of patience. I'm realistically think this will take a couple years. Trying to get one a day done as a goal, so far that's been none, but I'm hopeful .... ;).

10. oldtimer

oldtimer Member

Damn, Laplacian... that's almost discouraging.. but I guess I gotta begin somewhere. I know it won't be easy but much of it is stuff that I've seen people lamenting that they couldn't find anywhere else. So..... onward through the fog.

11. sgt_steiner

sgt_steiner Supporting Member

Reverb.com. By far the best sales tool available these days in my humble opinion. I've had nothing but great experiences there. To be honest, I rarely post in TGP Emporium anymore because nothing moves here like it does on Reverb.

The list question is easily solved by either sharing a Dropbox link or asking Reverb customers within your adds to PM you about guitars you'll be listing in the future. Then you could simply cut and paste your list into your replies.

eBay? Reverb permanently obliterated them in the gear dept. by offering a much better interface, lower fees and vastly improved/more friendly customer service -- basically they did everything the OPPOSITE of eBay and have been thriving because of it.

12. BlackbirdVintageMusic

BlackbirdVintageMusic Member

My shop is in Orlando. If you're up for a package deal we'd be happy to come to you.

13. oldtimer

oldtimer Member

Thanks, Blackbirdvintagemusic. Always a possibility.

BlackbirdVintageMusic likes this.
  14. oldtimer

oldtimer Member

I've been checking out Reverb.com for sometime. They seem to be a reasonable outlet and as economical as one can find. I'm not sure how successful they are at selling rates or average time in press before sales but that's something to look into. Right now, oddly enough with the timing, I have some local folks all looking into the collection. Interesting. Anyway, time to "poop or get off the potty" to say it another way. Heh, heh... thanks for all the input. One of the many reasons I've always enjoyed The Gear Page.

BlackbirdVintageMusic likes this.