Collection stolen. UK guys please help me out.

Discussion in 'Stolen or Lost Gear Registry' started by Clyde Billt, Apr 7, 2019.

1. Clyde Billt

Clyde Billt Silver Supporting Member

Had 12 guitars taken from my house in south London yesterday while my wife and daughter were out.

I'm working abroad just now but I have had the pleasure of watching the stinking wretch steal my gear on cctv that I installed.

Looks like he knew what he was after. He didn't take much else apart from the daughters ipad and 3 leather jackets.

Could anybody in the UK keep an eye out? A couple of them are the kind that don't come up too often.

The list is.

• Gibson Custom Shop Aged '58 Explorer. Natural one piece Mahogany. Huge neck.
    • Gibson Les Paul 1989 Standard Gold Top. With P90s and a ES295 style pickguard and Bigsby.
    • Orville Les Paul Custom. With gold Bigsby.
    • Gretsch 6120. A 6120-60 with silver Bigsby.
    • Fender MIJ Jerry Donahue Telecaster. Double bound sunburst with maple neck. Swapped the pickguard from black to white.
    • Rickenbacker 330/6 in Fireglo.
    • Rickenbacker 360/12 in Jetglo.
    • Fender Stratocaster '62 Hot Rod. Sunburst. Had it a month.
    • Fender Stratocaster Classic Player. Sonic blue. Swapped the neck for an aged maple from Warmoth.
    • Epiphone Firebird VII. Cardinal red.
    • National Resophonic Duolian. Tobacco sunburst. Serial number 006
    • Fender MIM Telecaster. Lake Placid Blue. Has a Scottish flag on the pickguard like the one Stuart Braithwaite of Mogwai has. This was my brothers guitar. He was a big Mogwai fan. We lost him to cancer in 2012. All the other guitars are just things, but this one is much more than that. I'm gutted about this one.
    Naturally there will be "a drink" in it for any of good people that help these come home. Especially the LPB Tele.

Thanks all.

ljs likes this.
  2. 84superchamp

84superchamp Silver Supporting Member

Good luck man, hope you get 'em all back and the jacka$$ goes to jail.

3. pbmw

pbmw Member

Man I hate thieves.
    Hope you get your gear back

84superchamp and Clyde Billt like this.
  4. Tootone

Tootone Member

Could you have been "cased" by the burglar when you got your 62 Hot Rod...

Delivery Guy, Sales Receipt with your address etc.. ..

jvin248 and Clyde Billt like this.
  5. Tahitijack

Tahitijack Member

Anyone that has been in your place recently....workman...is a suspect.

jvin248 and Clyde Billt like this.
  6. Jayyj

Jayyj Supporting Member

I've forwarded a copy of the list to a couple of guitar reps I know so hopefully it will circulate around at least the shops up this way - I take it you'll be doing a round of London dealers to let them know?

I've also just messaged someone I know at Fender and asked if he'd mind letting all the Fender reps know about the Scottish flag Tele - it's the sort of thing they'd notice as soon as they walked in a shop so you never know, it might help.

Also, set up a saved search for 'fender scottish' on Ebay - that way there's a chance it'll pop up on your radar if anyone lists it. Unlikely the thieves would list it but you might get a chance of it filtering to the market at some point.

7. Jayyj

Jayyj Supporting Member

Fender rep says he'll get onto the other reps in the morning and get everyone looking out for the Tele.

8. drewl

drewl Member

Sounds like an inside job.

Definitely someone that's been there.

9. Pointy Headstock

Pointy Headstock Member

Really hope they turn back up very soon :(.

Probably not a comfortable time, but still an appropriate time to call out that for awhile people often don't need to even set foot in your home to get visibility to your possessions. Virtually every digital camera and phone inserts at least one geotag (down to the street address level by default) in every picture taken. As with most digital privacy concerns these days, even explicitly trying to opt out or manually remove these geotags is often not successful. Be very very very thoughtful about this not only in the pictures that you share publicly (e.g. NGD pics), but in the pictures that your family members and guests take in your home share and may post publicly.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2019
    Clyde Billt likes this.
  10. Clyde Billt

@Tootone , @Tahitijack , @drewl
    I've had a few guys in the house recently doing some work and there is building work being done next door.
    Could have been any number of people.
    CCTV show the wife and daughter going out at 1058 and the scumbag at the door on his phone at 1102.

11. Clyde Billt

@Jayyj
    Thanks man, that is very very good of you. I am very touched.

I'm off the coast of Ghana and cant get away for a week yet.
    I'll be emailing some of the reps at GAK and GuitarGuitar that I have dealt with.
    I've got some friends that are on a buying mission at the moment and I've given them a shout to keep their eyes open.
    We'll see what happens.

Jayyj likes this.
  12. Pointy Headstock

Pointy Headstock Member

This can be a winning strategy. My old local Gibson rep was in the right place and right time to find a few lost, stolen, and/or long sold guitars. Most famously this one.

Clyde Billt likes this.
  13. Jayyj

Jayyj Supporting Member

No bother, it's what communities are for!

I'd probably do a quick recon of email addresses for the London era shops and send a general email out to them - shops get regular emails like this and usually keep them on file. Do at least a couple of the Denmark St dealers (Wunjos and Macaris would be good options, they're both pretty straight up), Luckyfret in Shorditch, the Camden Guitar Guitar. Ideally cash converter type shops as well but I don't know how you go about that - the police might be better able to advise.

Thinking along the sales reps line, I'd maybe try to tap up whoever the Gibson rep is - if the Gibsons are rare it's the sort of thing a dealer might phone up and say 'I'm being offered one of these, what is it?' I've no contacts at all at Gibson but if you have a regular contact at GAK or GG perhaps they could do something for you?

Clyde Billt likes this.
  14. Clyde Billt

Great advice Jayyj. Thanks.

15. Pointy Headstock

Pointy Headstock Member

I would email Gibson customer service and see you if they can blacklist the guitars and help with contacts in country.

Clyde Billt likes this.
  16. jvin248

jvin248 Member

Check your phone call records, if you have an answering machine or a VOIP phone /etc all calls are logged. That guy on the phone may have been calling the house number, listening to it ring and ring at the door to ensure no one else was in the house. Reverse phone look up you might track a suspect down.

Canvas any local pawn shops. If a nearby person looking for quick cash, they will try dumping at anything within a short jaunt as quick as they can. These types are not very sophisticated nor very industrious to travel to the other end of the island to unload their catch, or go on ebay/reverb.

Depending on the age of your daughter, it could be friends of a friend, could even have been daughter/wife at the hair salon complaining about 'that room full of darn guitars' that someone overheard and got the thing started. Neighbors of mine got their house robbed when away for vacation because the wife had been telling everyone at the salon about their big trip and when they would be away. Facebook blabbing about a trip has gotten people robbed because all the data is there for when there or away. Other social platforms could have had your daughter/wife 'checking in' at a restaurant/movie/etc which pinged the guy that came there. NGDs can be a risk, especially if years worth of posts. Social media is a tricky wicket.

Hopefully you have good home insurance for the gear, and pictures of all the gear. One thing you need to be wary of ... sophisticated thieves know about insurance and people's penchant for replacing favorite stuff and will wait an appropriate time and then hit your place again. Improve your cctv system, maybe buy Epiphone instead of Gibson (and not worry about headstock breakage). Change locks in case they grabbed a spare set of keys, make sure deadbolts are used.

Clyde Billt likes this.
  17. MountainCraft

MountainCraft Member

Oh man, thieves SUCK!
    Praying you get your guitars back, and the jerks are put out of business for a long time..
    :FM

Clyde Billt likes this.
  18. RicOkc

RicOkc Member

My house was burgled once and the thieves stole my stereo gear.

The police that showed up told me that it's usually someone who has previously been in your house.

Tahitijack and Clyde Billt like this.
  19. ctreitzell

ctreitzell Member

Very sorry to hear this.

I agree, sounds like an inside job.

London thievery is notorious, no doubt about that!

I hope you get justice and our your instruments returned. Yeah, Cash Converters...how to tackle that one?

Clyde Billt likes this.