• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Collective Soul

travisvwright

I saw that stupid cat on youtube singing "Shine" and decided to pull out some old Collective Soul CDs. I've got everything from Hints, up to Blender/7YearItch. Then I kinda lost track of them. Listening today reminded me how much I enjoy all the layered guitar work. What album after blender do you like best, that I should explore?

FuzzGazer

Dosage is my fave by Collective Soul, but like you I've lost track of them too. I haven't heard any of their stuff after Blender.

Last edited:

radicool

I was talking to my ex the other day - yeah, go figure - she's a huge Collective Soul fan. She saw them live a month or two ago and said they are better than ever. I've always thought they were a cool band with a unique sound.

The cat video got me thinking about them again too. Does anyone know how they got that cool sound at the beginning of Heavy? They play a track live, but I was always curious how they did it for the record.

Tenacious E

Silver Supporting Member
Silver Supporting Member
Dosage is my fave by Collective Soul, but like you I've lost track of them too. I haven't head any of their stuff after Blender.

+1 for this! I love Dosage. I was kina lost track when Ross Childress left the band (or was fired, whatever happened). He was such a smokin' player.

FuzzGazer

+1 for this! I love Dosage. I was kina lost track when Ross Childress left the band (or was fired, whatever happened). He was such a smokin' player.
I've been listening to their newer stuff because of this thread and they have continued to write some great stuff. Their "new" guitarist Joel Kosche is killer! I'm going to pick up a bunch of their albums.

jrw32

Silver Supporting Member
+1. Ross's playing/tones were a huge part of the band's sound IMO. Great pop songs/melodies with huge riffs/scorching guitars. I lost interest in them after he left the band.

billfoma

+1. Ross's playing/tones were a huge part of the band's sound IMO. Great pop songs/melodies with huge riffs/scorching guitars. I lost interest in them after he left the band.
Jake, you are really missing out! Joel was their guitar tech forever and when Ross left, he stepped in. Just so you know, I too, was very skeptical as to whether Joel could play the solos Ross played. I have seen them twice with Joel, and the guy flat out smokes! On top of that, he is a total gear head like any of us here on TGP. He built a custom amp from an AC30 that the band has been using in the studio for ever called the Sugarfuzz. Joel really loves talking about gear if you get a chance to talk to him.

The albums after Blender are fantastic, I would recommend them to anybody!

(2004) Youth
(2005) From The Ground Up EP (acoustic)
(2006) Home - Live with the Atlanta Youth Symphony Orchestra
(2007) Afterwords
(2009) "Rabbit" (actually self titled, but has a rabbit on the cover, so this is what the fans call it)

The ones in bold are studio albums, and you should go in that order, Youth is probably my favorite album of the last decade.

Reddog

Jake, you are really missing out! Joel was their guitar tech forever and when Ross left, he stepped in. Just so you know, I too, was very skeptical as to whether Joel could play the solos Ross played. I have seen them twice with Joel, and the guy flat out smokes! On top of that, he is a total gear head like any of us here on TGP. He built a custom amp from an AC30 that the band has been using in the studio for ever called the Sugarfuzz. Joel really loves talking about gear if you get a chance to talk to him.
I got just that chance last Saturday when he conducted a workshop at a guitar show I attended. I agree with all points you made about him. He has an impressive knowledge of gear, is a fierce player and a really nice guy, to boot!. He had one of those very amps you mentioned with him. He says it has Marshall-type circuitry in the pre-amp and AC30-type circuitry in the power amp section.

Mangy71

Platinum Supporting Member
Youth is a good album;I don't know where it falls,chronologically.
I really like Collective Soul and own almost all of their stuff. I agree that Youth is a fantastic album front to back - one of their best albums ever in my opinion.

Hey a Collective Soul thread!
Even though I wasn't in the band at the time, I was there for all of the "Dosage" tracking as a in-studio guitar tech. The "Dosage" record was a lot of fun to be a part of and it's definitely one of my favorite C.S. records. I remember when the Ross came up with that sound for the intro to "Heavy". Although I am a little fuzzy on the details, I'm almost certain it was his envelope filter or his tremolo or a combination of both that's responsible for that pulsing riff. It was then thrown into ProTools and lined up to the grid. I remember them using a great deal of 5150(given to them by EDDIE!) and the little hot-rodded Vox AC30 I modded(precursor to the SugarFuzz)for all the rhythm guitars. There's a little chorusy guitar line that comes in on the re-intro and that was done with a Korg Pandora's box. Believe it or not, the solo was done in one take on a little tiny solid-state Crate amp!
We actually just wrapped up a tour this summer where we played the entire "Dosage" record (and of course the other jams including the one that cats love so much!)and that was a lot of fun. We played up in Portland and that particular show will eventually be broadcast on the HDNET(AXS) channel.
The comments regarding how the band's sound changed after Ross left aren't entirely unfounded but I'll say this, Ed has always been the primary songwriter and that includes the guitar-riff stuff. As brilliant as Ross was, I think sometimes people forget that most of that stuff was actually written by Ed. The fact is, by the time I joined the band in 2003 (officially) Ed's songwriting had changed. When I joined the band Ed's mind was in a different place than it had been in the 90's. It was in the 80's! The damn new-wave pop 80's! Since then I've seen him write less electric guitar- riff stuff and more and more on the piano and acoustic guitar. As one of the three guitar players in the band, I'm here to help him achieve whatever musical vision he has for his songs even if that means compromising and accepting the direction that Ed wants to go in (It might not be what I'm into musically, but oh well such is life). The only thing that irritates me is that it makes it seem like I'm the one responsible for the change in the band's sound simply because I'm the new factor in the equation. Yes, I guess that's true to a certain extent but you know I'm a guitar guy and I love big fat guitar riffs with harmonies and solos and the whole bit, just check out my solo record "Fight Years" if you want to hear where I'm at.
I dig this forum and browse around here all the time, I'm a hopeless guitar-geek like the rest of you!
I'm glad to hear that someone caught my clinic at the Southeast Guitar and Amp Show, that was really fun even thought I was nervous as hell. Thanks for the props!
-Joel

GearFlipper

after Ross left I quit caring about the band. Ed always struck me as a self important tool bag. I felt they definitely chased trends after their self titled CD, suffering from lack of identity and authentic message. Subsequent CD's would have a decent track or two, but never felt like a real album or artistic expression, just some dude in a shiny suit chasing his next mortgage payment.

FuzzGazer

Hey a Collective Soul thread!
Even though I wasn't in the band at the time, I was there for all of the "Dosage" tracking as a in-studio guitar tech. The "Dosage" record was a lot of fun to be a part of and it's definitely one of my favorite C.S. records. I remember when the Ross came up with that sound for the intro to "Heavy". Although I am a little fuzzy on the details, I'm almost certain it was his envelope filter or his tremolo or a combination of both that's responsible for that pulsing riff. It was then thrown into ProTools and lined up to the grid. I remember them using a great deal of 5150(given to them by EDDIE!) and the little hot-rodded Vox AC30 I modded(precursor to the SugarFuzz)for all the rhythm guitars. There's a little chorusy guitar line that comes in on the re-intro and that was done with a Korg Pandora's box. Believe it or not, the solo was done in one take on a little tiny solid-state Crate amp!
We actually just wrapped up a tour this summer where we played the entire "Dosage" record (and of course the other jams including the one that cats love so much!)and that was a lot of fun. We played up in Portland and that particular show will eventually be broadcast on the HDNET(AXS) channel.
The comments regarding how the band's sound changed after Ross left aren't entirely unfounded but I'll say this, Ed has always been the primary songwriter and that includes the guitar-riff stuff. As brilliant as Ross was, I think sometimes people forget that most of that stuff was actually written by Ed. The fact is, by the time I joined the band in 2003 (officially) Ed's songwriting had changed. When I joined the band Ed's mind was in a different place than it had been in the 90's. It was in the 80's! The damn new-wave pop 80's! Since then I've seen him write less electric guitar- riff stuff and more and more on the piano and acoustic guitar. As one of the three guitar players in the band, I'm here to help him achieve whatever musical vision he has for his songs even if that means compromising and accepting the direction that Ed wants to go in (It might not be what I'm into musically, but oh well such is life). The only thing that irritates me is that it makes it seem like I'm the one responsible for the change in the band's sound simply because I'm the new factor in the equation. Yes, I guess that's true to a certain extent but you know I'm a guitar guy and I love big fat guitar riffs with harmonies and solos and the whole bit, just check out my solo record "Fight Years" if you want to hear where I'm at.
I dig this forum and browse around here all the time, I'm a hopeless guitar-geek like the rest of you!
I'm glad to hear that someone caught my clinic at the Southeast Guitar and Amp Show, that was really fun even thought I was nervous as hell. Thanks for the props!
-Joel
Wow cool! Welcome Joel!

Reddog

Hey Joel! It's GREAT that you logged on - hope to hear more from you! (and thanks for your willingness to share so generously with a few of us geeks after the clinic at SEGAS - that was a blast!)

marshall2288

I've always wondered....are the drums on "Shine" programmed or real? I've always thought they sounded like a drum machine.

Anyways..love the band. "Rabbit" was a great record

Trending Topics