College Amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Andrew Galletti, Mar 15, 2015.

1. Andrew Galletti

Andrew Galletti Member

I'm going to be heading off to college next year, so I thought I would start saving up some money and researching amps that I could bring with me. I'm looking for an amp -either combo or head and cab- that I can use both to play quietly in a dorm and crank up to play with a drummer. I'm really only looking at tube amps right now, but as I said before when it comes to combo vs. head and cab, I'm still up in the air. I like to play blues, classic rock, alternative rock, and a little bit of jazz. Also, I'm not quite sure if I want an amp with a nice clean tone that can act as a canvas for pedals (like something from the Fender hot rod series), or if I want an amp that can get its own crunch without me having to bring a big pedal board (like an Orange). If I were to go the "clean canvas" route I think (without having done too much research) I would go with a Fender Blues Junior 15W, and if I were to take a "self-crunching" path I would get an Orange Tiny Terror or OR15 and then the cheapest Orange cab I could find. Any input is much appreciated!

2. burntumbers

burntumbers Member

ZT lunch box

little box with a 5inch speaker
    and 200watts

has a headphone jack with its own volume

and you can use any cab at 8ohms or more.

3. ELmiguel

ELmiguel Member

Peavey Classic 30 . You can find them used all the time for less than $300

4. FrankieSixxxgun

FrankieSixxxgun Member

In my research for a light amp I played a Vox AC4. That little thing has some serious tone, and at the 1/4 watt setting shouldn't even bother your roommate. I think you can pick one up from Musicians Friend for $200 currently.

5. burntumbers

burntumbers Member

as much as I like the Peavey 30 and Vox amps...and Blues cubes, ect

they're great for dorm and bedroom levels, but can they be loud enough for keeping up with a drummer?

6. guitargeezer

guitargeezer Silver Supporting Member

The Peavey Classic 30 has been used by countless folks playing in bar bands for years. Unless the drummer is the reincarnation of John Bonham or Keith Moon, you should be OK

7. BacchusPlateau

BacchusPlateau Member

Roland Cube. Not expensive, no one will want to steal it, has pretty good clean to light breakup, can get heavier when needed and has some nice built in effects.I've used an older Cube 30 to jam with a drummer, second guitarist and bassist and while it was close to max on the volume knob, it was still usable

Edit: I missed that you were looking for tube amp only. I'd go with the Blues Junior I think. Its a really nice sounding amp.

8. Beam Tetrode

Beam Tetrode Member

9. Hulakatt

Hulakatt Supporting Member

I had a SF Bassman 50 in HS that I ran through a beat Marshall 1960b, it was glorious but when I was getting ready to go to college, I sold it off and got something much smaller and, in the end, crappier. Even at the time I kicked myself for getting rid of that rig. Rightly so, it was stupid of me. Dude down the hall had a half stack in his room and never had issues but he was good about only playing during certain times of the day or using some kind of headphone amp after hours.

Just get an amp you love and want that you can use with a full band. You most likely will use it with a band and it won't be that big of an issue unless you're hauling a SuperLead or Marshall Major into your dorm room.

Edit: I started college in the fall of 2000 so I'm not one of those old dudes remembering college through a haze of drugs, groupies and Marshall stacks.

10. GEN DAWG

GEN DAWG Silver Supporting Member

I would find yourself something like a Princeton and a 1x12 extension cab. That and a good OD pedal, and you are there.

11. GEN DAWG

GEN DAWG Silver Supporting Member

or....a Fender Super Champ from back in the Rivera era (80s). Great sounding, plenty of cleans and OD.

12. lostpoet2

lostpoet2 Supporting Member

The new Peavey Classic 20 head sound like it would fit your needs. I would look for something that you can use with headphones.

13. jimbugg

jimbugg Supporting Member

I laughed out loud at this.

14. Green Pro Am

Green Pro Am Member

Used Mark V or Mark IV combo should cover your needs. They are bit heavy but come with casters.

15. stratzrus

stratzrus Philadelphia Jazz, Funk, and R&B Supporting Member

Quilter MicroPro 200 Mach 2. It comes in 8", 10", and 12" versions.

The MicroPro 200 Mach 2-8 is pictured below.

[​IMG]

Elantric likes this.
  16. Promit

Promit Member

My one friend brought a 2203 half stack to his double. I... don't recommend that approach.

17. Prince

Prince Supporting Member

This is what I would suggest as well. Especially for having the headphone out for dorm noodling.

Also OP, if you have an iPad/iPhone, I suggest checking out Bias & JamUp apps for headphone practice.

18. playguitar6789

playguitar6789 Supporting Member

I'm surprised there aren't more recommendations for a Blues Jr III.

I'm just finishing up college and I had one in my dorm room. Overall, I highly recommend it...master volume, plenty of EQ control, decent break-up tone and solid cleans. I would however, recommend swapping the stock speaker for an Eminence Cannabis Rex. It only costs $80 or so, is a bit louder, smooths out the highs, and really makes the Blues Jr. sound a lot better. I did several side by side comparisons between stock and the Blues Jr. with the CREX, and the one with the CREX was worlds better to my ears.

In response to those suggesting an amp with a headphone output, I would say you're better off running through your computer if you really can't turn your amp on just enough to hear it. I think you'll want to invest in an amp that can hold its own for awhile...even though I have two more expensive amps now, I'm keeping by Blues Jr. because it's the perfect amp for smaller gigs, running in stereo, loaning out, and using in my living room.

19. NielsM

NielsM Member

Agreeing with Blues Jr III.
    Maybe the Vox Nighttrain series? Selfcrunch, nice cleans, similar to Orange Tiny Terror.

20. rotlung

rotlung Member

You want something insanely cheap in a dorm. Theft is rampant at college.