College Bribery Scandal

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by Ampedusa, Mar 12, 2019.

1. Timcito

Timcito Member

Well, how else would a person know if they'd been accepted on a university course? Osmosis? ;)

smiert spionam likes this.
  2. A-Bone

A-Bone Montonero, MOY, Multitudes Gold Supporting Member

They undoubtedly received correspondence concerning their admission to the university, but the athletics weren't their courses of study. It is my understanding that these students were not granted athletic scholarships to attend the universities. I have no idea what they might have received directly from the athletic department or any specific sport.

Okra and Peteyvee like this.
  3. Sidney Vicious

Sidney Vicious Member

Re Loughlin - we don't know what her attorney is telling her - I suspect he is giving her very good advice - what he can't do is make her take it.

4. A-Bone

She certainly has pedigreed representation, including Sean M. Berkowitz.

Sidney Vicious likes this.
  5. Peteyvee

Peteyvee Premium Platinum Member

Exactly. I'm sure she was presented with her acceptance letter, but I highly doubt whether it mentioned being a coxswain* on the woman's crew team as a condition of enrollment.

*For anyone who may not know this, the coxswain is the most experienced member of the crew, sits in the stern, steers the racing shell, determines speed and course, gives the orders and is captain of the team. They're basically a coach in the boat. There's no way someone like her, who has never rowed period, is remotely qualified to be a coxswain on a NCAA Div 1 crew.

A-Bone likes this.
  6. smiert spionam

smiert spionam Member

There is reportedly documentation that they were specifically instructed by Singer (and/or the willing participant on the school's coaching staff) to ignore the athlete-specific orientation and pre-semester training that they would otherwise have participated in. Even apart from the obvious matter of athletic training, no one joins a college athletic team (with or without a scholarship) without a pretty extensive NCAA-mandated orientation (including things like ethics rules about gambling, bribery, academic honesty, and fraud!). Student-athletes are not introduced to the university as part of the general student population.

FWIW, Olivia Jade Giannulli turned 18 early in her senior year of high school, so she had plenty of time to participate in a criminal conspiracy as a legal adult. Her application to USC (including the staged rowing photos) was prepared when she was an adult.

There are conflicting reports about whether she and her sister have received DOJ target letters, but at least two other students have.

Last edited: May 15, 2019
    art_z, Peteyvee and A-Bone like this.
  7. A-Bone

I'm sure more will. It isn't as if the DOJ has to charge everyone at once, but, equally, I imagine federal prosecutors still have reasons not to charge students who benefited from the conspiracy -- based on the statutory charges brought -- regardless of whether or not those students had reached the age of majority. It's likely to be on a case by case basis. If I was either of the Giannulli kids, I'd definitely want legal representation.

And, if only to dispel the possibility of misinterpretation, I'm not suggesting what any of the affected students might or might not have known or been a part of. I simply don't know, and am uncomfortable making assumptions of that sort based on the information I've read -- and I haven't gone out of my way to stay abreast of the case as it has developed.

Last edited: May 15, 2019
    NewLeaf09 and smiert spionam like this.
  8. tonyhay

tonyhay Member

There is no dispute about whether she got accepted. It’s the circumstances of her application that are less clear.

A-Bone likes this.
  9. smiert spionam

smiert spionam Member

Sure. But it's not remotely speculative to point out that there is plenty of evidence that a number of them were in on it, to some degree.

The last refuge of privilege for these so-called "kids": childhood.

A-Bone likes this.
  10. tonyhay

tonyhay Member

The ‘evidence’ that they posed for a photo and they didn’t join the rowing team, does not tell us whether they conspired in the briberies, etc. Far from it.

11. Metalflange

Metalflange Supporting Member

She went right from a full house to the BIG HOUSE!

MatchFive likes this.
  12. Okra

Okra Member

A kind word to the admissions office.

Athletics circumvents admission policy by routine, and no one bats an eye. That’s the problem, along with the fact they are accountable to no one in the Administration.

A-Bone likes this.
  13. Bluesful

Bluesful Supporting Member

Anyone been sent to jail yet?

14. 2HBStrat

2HBStrat Member

I keep hearing that things are happening but nothing happens

15. stevieboy

stevieboy Clouds yell at me Silver Supporting Member

The only one to be sentenced so far is a Stanford sailing coach, who got no prison time. Six months home detention plus longer probation, 10 grand fine. But it’s likely he will be the one with the lightest sentence, because as the judge explained he took what money he was given and spent it on the sailing program.

16. MatchFive

MatchFive Silver Supporting Member

She went from Fuller House to the Big House..

17. tms13pin

tms13pin Supporting Member

Lotta fluff about nothing. Nothing to see here. Next silly celebrity scandal....