College laptop with good durability?

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by zekmoe, Jul 11, 2019.

1. zekmoe

zekmoe Member

Getting a laptop for a son, who like his father at the same age, was less than careful with “stuff”. It’s a thing I learned over time, but he hasn’t yet accepted the care and feeding of items in the way I have.
    So he needs a laptop for school, used as expected for homework and various assignments, not going for IT so he won’t need one to set up servers on it etc. Are there any that are more durable? I’m thinking of getting him a protective backpack but want to get one that’s less apt to bend or crack with casual carelessness.
    No need to inform me “he has to learn “. No kidding. But for now I want to err on the side of prevention. Suggestions? Preferably under $2000, OS not a concern as he uses both windows and macOS here.

2. TheGuildedAge

TheGuildedAge Supporting Member

I’d go apple MacBook Air w a good case

bsacamano and ckfoxtrot like this.
  3. mark norwine

mark norwine Member

I know there are Apple haters here, but I have to say: I was the "IT Manager" of our house, Dell laptops & desktops galore....and it was always 'something'...

I switched over and bought my MBP in 2008 (and it lasted until 2016)...first daughter converted in 2013...second daughter in 2015...wife last year. I have zero issues. None. Nada. Zip. The darn things "just work".

MBP or MBA would be my suggestion. Additionally, Macs abound on college campuses, Mac IT support is everywhere, and depending on the college, there's likely to be an Apple store within an arm's reach.

Personally, I'd lean towards the MBP over the Air simply because of the strength of the lid hinge. Airs are very very light, but IMO it's at the cost of structural integrity.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2019
    bsacamano, ckfoxtrot and Vintage_ like this.
  4. bluwoodsman

bluwoodsman Member

Regarding help on college campuses you have no worries with non-apple systems. Three different colleges, three great experiences with knowledgeable help--mostly from students themselves.

IMO there's nothing to compare in computers with what seems to be a ruggedized phone request. You can get otter boxes or the like for tablets so I assume something similar is made for laptops.

5. Mayo5

Mayo5 Member

Buy a cheaper laptop. ASUS/ACER/DELL for ~$500. Absolutely no need for a higher performance laptop/PC for college. Most decent school have amazing labs with powerful computers and there are always the cloud services.

6. TopJimmy5150

TopJimmy5150 Member

My daughter's college offered Dells and Macbooks for sale..prices were about the same as if I bought them myself. The Dells came with 3 years no-questions asked repair/replacement warranty that could be handled right at the college bookstore. The Macbooks only came with factory warranty. Went with the Dell and had to get the LCD replaced at year 3 at no charge..

FFOGG likes this.
  7. twoheadedboy

twoheadedboy Member

I'd focus more on the warranty than on the durability of the device itself. I've had wonderful experiences with Dell Precision's warranty service. They do same day on site service, no questions asked. As long you're in reasonable proximity to a city, they'll send a Dell tech to wherever you are to service your computer, for free (excluding the initial cost of the warranty, of course). I would call them from work or home, and within a few hours a tech would show up. He or she would sit with me and fix my computer. No standing in line at a service center, no waiting for parts to come in, no bill.

8. sahhas

sahhas Supporting Member

my son starts in the fall, we got him some mac laptop, not sure the brand, he does get a discount when ordered through the university bookstore, i think my wife has one for work and she loves it....

FFOGG likes this.
  9. Old Possum

Old Possum Member

Endless laptops out there under 300 that will do.

Drew68 and Mayo5 like this.
  10. mdrake34

mdrake34 Member

I've got this one, it's in the top 10 best seller's for laptops on Amazon and does everything I need (I use it to remotely log into my desktop at the office while I'm at home).

Can't imagine a college student needing more than that. Super long battery life, which was a big selling point for me.

11. bsacamano

bsacamano Member

Another Mac vote. I don't want to like them but man, they just work and they freaking work forever. My company Dell's crap out way before my wife's company's macs. The constant updates and increasing time to just boot up kill me with the Dell.

FFOGG likes this.
  12. Old Possum

Old Possum Member

I'm not a fan of Dell, but A solid state drive would fix the booting issue, don't Mac's come with them?

13. Sawarow

Sawarow Gold Supporting Member

My daughter is notorious for destroying devices and I couldn't see a normal laptop surviving long. Her college does everything on Google drive so the $200 Asus c202sa chromebook works great. It's small, lightweight, rugged enough to be dropped and can make it through the day on a charge with no issues. I'm sure it has saved me some serious money

14. Drew68

Drew68 Supporting Member

I bought a cheap-ass Lenovo from Best Buy when my 8-year old MacBook Pro finally went Tango Uniform and I needed a laptop right now for travel.

Under $300, Windows 10. It's perfect for what I need and fast enough to surf the internet and watch YouTube videos without lagging. Durable as well. My two year old swatted it off the kitchen table and I picked it up without a scratch.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/lenovo...Vyf_jBx3hEAbnEAQYASABEgJzZvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Old Possum likes this.
  15. Old Possum

Old Possum Member

I bought the same brand last year for my sweetie, she doesn't need a lot anyway. first thing I did was change the hard drive to a solid state drive. it was alright the way it was, but talk about booting very quick and general PC use.….was really worth it. nothing wrong with the Lenovo brand IMO.

16. FFOGG

FFOGG Fat Frustated Old Guy w/ Gut Gold Supporting Member

Both my sons did this with good results

17. RJLII

RJLII Member

When my kid was doing her undergrad I got her a Dell laptop. It’s the Telecaster of laptops. Ubiquitous, easy to work on, does what it’s supposed to, reasonably priced. Upon graduation she bought a MacBook, the Suhr of laptops. More money, cooler, plays the same notes. Her cash. FWIW, I’m a Mac convert since.

18. Vanilla Latte

Vanilla Latte Supporting Member

19. karmadave

karmadave Member

20. Dr. Tweedbucket

Dr. Tweedbucket Deluxe model available !!!11

Gamma Ray detection station on Mt. Kwakkleberry
    My HP envy has been great for ... it's been probably 3 years or so. Pretty fast and robust for only $1,100. I love the SS drive and the OS is great once you swat MS greasy fingers off your pictures.