Colleges/Universities with Good Recording Arts/Engineering Programs

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by JLaps, Oct 13, 2008.

1. JLaps

JLaps Member

Can anyone help me out with this? I've looked online but so far my search has narrowed down to:

University of Michigan - Performance Arts Technology major would be nice and convenient since I'm already at the university, however, on their website they don't offer guitar as a principle instrument (I will inquire about this sometime next week)
    Berklee College of Music - Music Production and Engineering
    Peabody Conservatory - Recording Arts major and a required performance major (Jazz for me) - most likely a 5 year program
    NYU Steinhardt School - Music Technologies

I would like a university/college, not a trade school, preferably one with good liberal arts/sciences programs as well. Also, which is more applicable to the real world, a music production/engineering degree or a music business degree (Berklee and NYU offer this)? I don't know if this will help but my SAT scores were 620 reading, 780 math, 740 writing, and my ACT was 32 composite. Thanks for all the help.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2008
  2. saucyjack

saucyjack Member

MTSU.
    Middle Tennesse St University outside of Nashville.

3. Rockinrob86

Rockinrob86 Supporting Member

an engineering degree will prepare you for a year or so of making coffee for free, and then several years of minimum wage micing, with the occassional bone thrown your way, if you can even get into a studio in the first place. I would go with music business for a degree. Invest the money you would spend on going to engineering school on getting gear and setting up your own studio, and then record anyone and anything. You will know more than a student of any of those schools by having done it many times in the real world. You can read about how to mike a snare drum, or you can actually mike a snare drum. I would also recommend buying and reading books by famous engineers and looking for any information you can get. Also, subscribe to tape op. it is free and amazing.

4. Clrtxf

Clrtxf Member

Aha good sir! I have stumbled upon a good thread for myself. I was looking into doing this. So you also have: Miami Univeristy (FL), Indiana University, Full Sail (2 year full year program in Miami or LA), Ithaca University (New York), Columbia College Chicago (I almost went here...)
    And also I can think of a couple of other schools that offer some recording classes but I'm not sure if they have degree programs, however you could easily get a job doing music business at Belmont (Nashville) or Syracuse's Settner (I think that's the name) School of Music.

Good luck!

5. louderock

louderock Member

I graduated from the School of Music at Georgia State University with a degree in Recording/ Production. I certainly don't regret getting a college degree but I can honestly say that it wasn't necessary for doing what I do. I engineer and mix records for a living and got my start by interning at a studio. I learned the ropes and was eventually hired on and moved up from there. I think Belmont in nashville has a program as well as University of Miami and Arizona.

6. Bryan T

Bryan T Guitar Owner Silver Supporting Member

Stanford? One of the UC schools?

7. Jaradc

Jaradc Member

I go to SAE Nashville, its a 9 month straight forward professional music engineering course. I've been there so far for 3 weeks and I've learned a TON, and i have been interning for a few years. Definitely give it a look!

The gear there is EXTREMELY impressive, our main studios are comprised of Neve's and SSL's.

8. JLaps

JLaps Member

Well, my initial plan is to go to a university for one of the two (or preferably both) and then go for an MBA. Would getting a music business degree be somewhat redundant in this case?

9. guitarslinger21

guitarslinger21 Member

The Indiana University Recording School is difficult, and none of those guys ever had a problem finding production/engineering jobs at decent studios. I ended up not making it in to the program. Now, I'm a tie-wearing Kelley school of Business grad.:BEER:drool:horse

10. harvestmark

harvestmark Member

Do you have the talent? Be honest. It's a talent driven business. If you do have the talent, attend any of the schools mentioned and you will get work in this business. In fact, you may get work without attending them. But I wouldn't want to bet an entire career on it. I have hired many engineers. We have an internship program with Michigan State University, but we've also had at least one intern from U of M. Sounds like they have wonderful facilities. Whatever the case is, work on your engineering skills, your people skills, your writing skills, essentially all the things you didn't think you'd need for a long career in this business. You will need those skills. Anyway, my recommendation is to get the education, get experience through interning, etc., but have a talent for this. If you are not positively certain you have the talent, look for another line of work. Life will be much easier.

Mark Miller

11. DOMINIC

DOMINIC Member

berklee berklee berklee!

12. JRenn

JRenn Member

Belmont has great resources in Nashville, with Oceanway and Studio B. MTSU is good too. I only know this area, can't say anything about the other places mentioned.

13. Mayflower

Mayflower Supporting Member

+1
    I played on a couple of cuts that were "The Best Of" out of Belmont selected by The CMA.
    They were compilation CD's.