Collings 290 Follow Up...from July!

Discussion in 'The Small Company Luthiers' started by Steve L, Jan 16, 2008.

1. Steve L

Steve L Supporting Member

Back in July, I started this thread:
    http://thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=267123

In the meantime, I have since received my 290--got it at the end of October. I got it from Martin Music in Memphis....here's a picture of a guitar equipped like mine (from their website):
    http://www.martinmusicguitar.com/products/electricguitars/products.php?pcid=19324&pid=1936

My impressions are simple and direct--I am totally happy with the instrument. Every single aspect. First of all, it looks cool! Feels great. Etc., etc.
    The thing I was concerned about was the pickup configuration since I had no previous experience with P-90's. I have now learned how to setup the pickups to get the sounds I like and I am totally pleased. Nice clean sounds and also does a great job with grit. Distinctive....with its own character.
    I really appreciate all the input I got back in July--it helped with my decision making. And, absolutely NO buyers' remorse! This guitar is worth every penny.
    Thanks.

2. ford

ford Member

Nice looking guitars!!!! I still haven't picked up one of their electrics but I've played several of their acoustics and they are great.

rock

bford

3. Jim Soloway

Jim Soloway Supporting Member

The pictures aren't showing on the Martin page. Which color did you get? (I was especially partial to the blue with the pearloid peghead veneer myself).

BTW, from my experience with them at NAMM last year, I'm certainly not surprised to hear that you're happy. I thought they were just killer guitars.

4. Steve L

Steve L Supporting Member

I got the black with white grainfill. Also, a pearloid pickguard and pearloid headstock.

5. Jim Soloway

Jim Soloway Supporting Member

Great looking guitar. I love that peghead and I though they did just a great job of pulling the whole thing together.