Collings 290 with P90 or Humbuckers

Discussion in 'The Small Company Luthiers' started by reggieband, May 31, 2008.

1. reggieband

reggieband Member

Hi all,

A friend recently turned me on to Collings and their 290 guitar. It looks sweet and I am raring to try one (which is proving hard in London since there aren't any about). I'm partial to the tobacco sunburst option but since I'll likely have to order one into a shop or buy one online and have it shipped from the US I want opinions on P90 vs. Humbuckers.

Have you tried both and have an opinion on their sound? I play louder heavier rock and also dabble with jazz. Mostly rhythm guitar (sometimes colorful chords) but moving into lead (especially chord harmonization) as well.

Once that decision is made, I just have to find a way to get my hands on one!

2. amc

amc Member

My 2 cents.......

I originally got my 290 specifically to have an incredible P90 guitar.
    With the stock Lollar P90's, it is one of the best sounding, slab bodied
    set-neck guitars I've ever played. If you love playing P90's, this is as good as it gets.

Unfortunately for me, I'm just not a P90 player.
    The versatility of splittable humbuckers just work better for me.
    A set of Jason Lollar minihums and 2 push-pull switching tone pots later...

[​IMG]

For me, this is a far more usable set-up

Obviously, this is IMHO, YMMV

3. DavidH

DavidH Member

I like the stock P90s,i find it an extremely versatile guitar,so much so that the plan is to keep these two as my only two electrics,once i get everything else sold.Mine came with modern wiring of the tone control and wasn't much use with the vol rolled back,so i moved the cap wire over on the vol pot (50s wiring-they come this way now from the factory i believe) and now i find it extremely versatile,great snappy single coil tones with the volume rolled back.You can even approximate a strat tone in the neck position,and it's got all the angry tele/esquire and bridge p90 tones you could want in the bridge position.I strongly recommend the stock p90s anyway,and the 290 in general,to me it's perfect,i love this guitar.
    [​IMG]

4. FFTT

FFTT Member

I've had the Collings 290 with P-90's on my GAS radar, but really would prefer
    the guitar with a fully bound body and neck.

No clue how much of an up charge that would be if it's even an option.

Without being able to try them side by side, I'd have a difficult time
    deciding between the Collings 290 and an Anderson Cobra Special.

5. amc

amc Member

6. AaeCee

AaeCee Member

The Collings 290 appears slightly larger than the Gibson LP Special it's modeled after. Anyone know if the body truly is a bit larger?

7. dewman

dewman Gold Supporting Member

I think the 290 sounds great with P90s. Very versatile indeed.

8. mep

mep Supporting Member

I have not played a 290 with humbuckers but I love the way mine sounds with the P90s. As others have said, it is very versitile. It can rock or be very sweet with jazz like tones and has some spank if you want it. The neck is pretty beefy and feels great to me. Fine guitar.

9. GuitarNorton

GuitarNorton Member

Love the P-90's Never heard one with bucker's but guessing would sound more like an SG type tone with humbuckers.

10. slopeshoulder

slopeshoulder Senior Member

yes. Larger. Curvy lower bout.
    Also more versatile (usable clean sounds, a bit twangy).
    The CL is my favortie guitar of all time (although I won I-35 and 290. CL is next.