Collings 290

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Hank Linderman, Apr 20, 2008.

1. Hank Linderman

Hank Linderman Supporting Member

I just finished a gig with a bunch of other players - it was a charity; no rehearsal, songs are called on the spot and if you know it, you play it. Anyway, I brought a Crook Tele tuned for Stones songs, my beloved '86 PRS Standard, and my Collings 290. They all sounded great, but the Collings ended up being the hero for me - it isn't the most inspiring instrument to play without an amp, but plug it in and it changes night into day. It sounded so much bigger and more solid - shocked me.

A very under-rated guitar imo. It's moved to the front of the pack for me.

Best....H

2. Jujo

Jujo Supporting Member

I'm there with you! I love my 290- in fact it was my only guitar for a while. I tried to sell it for about a week and then decided that was a bad idea. It's just unreal. Someday I may sell it, if so I think I'll miss it. I've never sold a guitar that I miss...

3. dewman

dewman Gold Supporting Member

fantastic guitars. I stupidly sold mine then had a chance to buy it back and jumped on it. I'd like to experiment with pups since the construction and tone is A+. Pickups just add flavor. Anyone swap the stock pups for anything?

4. Jujo

Jujo Supporting Member

There's a guy here that put in mini hums. You could find that thread pretty quick with a search. Might be some guys that made a change and posted on the Collings forum as well. I lurk over there sometimes...

5. Hank Linderman

Hank Linderman Supporting Member

Mine's red (my wife's preference), but now I'm wanting the black one. I think I could get by with only 2-290's....

I am happy with the Lollars - even with an overdrive pedal, the guitar's tone rings through more powerfully than humbuckers or single coils do. I'm reminded of Pete Townshend's P-90 SG period (Live At Leeds, etc...).

I occasionally have trouble keeping the "G" string in tune, don't know if it's the tuner or the nut, but there seems to be a little slop in the tuners.

....H

6. dewman

i have the original styled open tuners on mine. the 290 was one of the first run in 2006. no problem with tuning at all.

7. GregoryL

GregoryL Supporting Member

I have an early one as well in crimson red - just a fantastic guitar. The Lollars turned me onto his pups and since then, I've bought his vintage tele set and his blonde strat set.

Fit and finish are excellent, but I've had similar issues with the tuners - you just need to tighten 'em up a bit, but they do seem to work themselves loose again after a while.

8. dewman

killer guitar....resonant, cleans up nicely if you want with the stock Lollars...neck carve is identical to the CL Deluxe, feels like a nice 59 Gibson neck. just a great guitar. I am tempted to experiment with other less clean pups in order to make it more late 50s LP Jr like. Maybe some Wolfetones? The Lollars hold together real well though when the amp is driven hard and the highs are sweet.