Collings City Limits Jazz

Discussion in 'The Small Company Luthiers' started by jazzgtrl4, Feb 29, 2012.

1. jazzgtrl4

jazzgtrl4 Supporting Member

Anyone own one of these? i played one at the Namm show in January and it was killlller. It was the "merlot" finish. Wish i could own one, someday, wish i could find one used? heres a link

this is the one i played

http://www.acousticmusicworks.com/CLJ11057.html

2. gpro34

gpro34 Member

I own two of them, superb guitars! They are hard to get, but well worth the wait.

3. jazzgtrl4

Wow, yeah they are hard to get. I wated to buy the one right off the Namm floor but it was sold. Sell me one of yours.......:)

4. gpro34

gpro34 Member

Yea, they take about 2 years to get. I bought a second one off of a guy that needed cash bad. Bill said I was the only one he knew of with two of them, lol. Anyway, I've been through many of Jazz boxes, but this is the best. It is extremely lightweight, resonant, and lush. It sounds very 3d, made me sell off all the others, so it actually saved me money.

5. jbd3

jbd3 Please Don't Sell Me Any More Gear Silver Supporting Member

Wow! What a stunner. I've never laid eyes on one of those, but I've got three Collings solidbodies, and they are all phenomenal instruments. Their quality is through the roof.

6. gpro34

gpro34 Member

I am quite a perfectionist. Anyway, when I get a guitar, I really inspect for minor flaws or misses that many builders are guilty of overlooking. All I can say is, Bill is an extremely picky perfectionist too. Both of the guitars I own are absolutely flawless! You have to respect a guy like that. I've owned guitars that cost more, but still was able to find issues or imperfections, not much or many, but granted, they were there. I believe Bill is currently making some of the best guitars in the world right now. They are on a different level than most. I don't know how he does it.

7. gpro34

gpro34 Member

Another side story about Collings guitars. My brother owned about 4 Suhr guitars. He thought they were the best guitars he'd ever played, and they are terrific. Anyway, he played my Collings after I got it, and soon after, he sold off one of his Suhrs to get his first Collings. He now owns four Collings and no Suhrs!
    He sold every other guitar. This is not meant as any disrespect for Suhr, as I believe he has amazing guitars too, but that's the Collings bug. If you get one (your first) I guarantee you'll soon own more.

8. jazzgtrl4

Cool stories, i want to find one of these but they are priceyyy. love to find one used, but doubt thats going to happen. Ya they weigh nothing and sound AMAZING! I have a Sadowsky semi hollow and its great two pickup smaller body 335 style but im looking for a single pickup like this Collings. Im thinking i might have to sell some guitars to get one. How do these Collings compare to say a Benedetto Bambino Deluxe? I was looking at these as well.

9. gpro34

gpro34 Member

Yea, a HUmbucker at the bridge on a pure Jazz guitar is worthless, IMO. I owned a Benedetto, but not the Bambino. I have played the Bambino. It does not have the sound, or depth of the Collings. It would be better for fusion, but for pure Jazz, there's no comparison.

10. jazzgtrl4

Gottcha, thanks for the info, i just signed up on collings forum, maybe ill get lucky and find one. Something is bound to pop in this economy, but then again who knows...

11. jads57

jads57 Supporting Member

I think these are actual carved top guitars in the trad. archtop vein vs. laminate guitars (Bambino). They also have a floating Johnny Smith vs a built in humbucking p/up(s) which will sound quite different. I think a more appropriate comparison might be the Collings to a 15" or 16" carved top guitar.

12. The bear

The bear Member

I played a used merlot one at Rudy's(now sold), it was great.
    I would love to own one(it would compliment my soco well).
    I also have the eastside lc hollowbody on my radar, anyone check out one of those?

13. Dave Orban

Dave Orban Gold Supporting Member

Nice. I could enjoy playing that! :)

14. jazzgtrl4

Hey Jostein, i remembered that you had a soco, great playing by the way. I thought you might have had one of these CL Jazz guitars by now:). The one i played at the Namm show sounded so good, it was dumb..And that was downstairs at the namm show with all that noise going on..If he said it was avail right there, i would have figured out a way to leave with it.

15. The bear

The bear Member

Hi, thanks! I guess you are right-I should have one of these by now! I have been buying some Fender custom shops lately-I guess I need to get my priorities straight! I am so happy with the soco that I don't really have the need for anything else, but these guitars are really tempting. Too bad they are so expensive.
    I am very curios to see if the Eastside lc can get into 175 territory. Did you get the chance to play these at NAMM. The price are much more within reach for me as well.

16. mudster

mudster High Prairie Wrangler Silver Supporting Member

You might check Mass St. Music - they had one at one time, not sure if they have another.

17. backdrifter

backdrifter Supporting Member

Gents,

There is one at Eddies Guitars in St. Louis right now:

http://eddiesguitars.com/collings-city-limits-jazz.html

Never played one personally, but I've owned and played many other Collings models and every single one has been superb. I'm sure the CL Jazz is no different!

PS: I live right around the corner - if you want to call and pay for it and then store it at my house until you can make some room at your place, I'd be happy to oblige!

18. treeofpain

treeofpain Silver Supporting Member

Dang. Collings is one of those companies where ALL of their guitars are cool.

19. maplebaby

maplebaby Member

20. jazzgtrl4

Hey, no i didnt try one of the Eastside, didnt see it or?. maybe i missed it, wow thats an option too. I just really dug that CL Jazz

Wow i like that color too, cant decide if i like that or Merlot..thanks for the heads up..