Collings City Limits Pick Up Question

Jason Carter

Gold Supporting Member
Anybody change out the Lollars in their City Limits guitar? I find them a bit loose and squishy in the low end, not a bad thing. I may try a Pearly Gates I have to see what that may sound like.

pgurlea

Shallow Supporting Member
I swapped out the Lollars which are wonderful pickups for a set of Wolfetone legends in my CL and could not be happier. Both are great pickups and it is a matter of personal preference. For me, the Legends are more of the classic Les Paul PAF vibe tone I was chasing. Lots of chatter on this subject on TGP. Good Luck.
Paul

cugel

try adjusting the height. are you talking about the bridge? i have never thought imperials (regular wind) lacked anything. in fact they are damn aggressive and as was pointed out probably too much oomph to be really a paf.

Jason Carter

Gold Supporting Member
Changed to a set of D'addario NYXL 10's, which I normally use, as well as adjusted the pickup height. That made a difference in what I was hearing, enough where I'm not looking to make any changes.

e???

Changed to a set of D'addario NYXL 10's, which I normally use, as well as adjusted the pickup height. That made a difference in what I was hearing, enough where I'm not looking to make any changes.
Yea pickup height can change things completely. Those nyxl's also change the tone a bit. I didn't like them in the end for the p90 sound, but was amazed at how those things NEVER go out of tune. It was crazy, they just never slipped somehow.

ducmike

Gold Supporting Member

Yep, adjusting the height is a huge factor. I have to say that the Imperial standards in my CLD are the tone I have had in my head for years. I can't imagine pulling them out. I need to get a 4 conductor bridge imperial to try in Suhr too.

Jason Carter

Gold Supporting Member
The string change really helped with what I was hearing. I've been playing the NYXL's for about 6 months. Honestly I never thought I would hear a difference in strings. It was mainly the low E and A that was loose, strings could have been dead as well. Overall, post string change, I find the Lollars well balanced and clean up nicely when paired with the CLD. May still try a set of Thornbuckers....its TGP afterall :)!

pgurlea

Shallow Supporting Member
Let me know your thoughts if you swap in a set of Thornbuckers into your CL. I have been thinking about this as well. :JAM
Paul

bikeracr

Silver Supporting Member
I played one this last week that had a set of Throbaks in it & it sounded phenomenal!

Trending Topics