• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Collings CL jazz demo

57gold

Gold Supporting Member
Seems like it's a part of you!

Warm yet articulate.

And agree, they are fun to play plugged in or acoustically.

Amazing how much tone is generated by that carved top with such a shallow sound box.

Believe that these are Collings' most original/unique instruments.

The bear

Seems like it's a part of you!

Warm yet articulate.

And agree, they are fun to play plugged in or acoustically.

Amazing how much tone is generated by that carved top with such a shallow sound box.

Thanks guys, I believe that these are Collings' most original/unique instruments.
True. Unplugged it sounds almost like an acoustic guitar. I have to say I felt like I was fighting this guitar while playing it, the combination of 12's with a 25.5 and medium to high action is not easy. I like 12-50 Thomastiks on my Eastside(24 7/8 scale) and 11-48's on my Soco'c(24 7/8 scale too). On my 360st(25.5 scale with floating trem) I use 10-46, but put a 10.5 on top.

57gold

Gold Supporting Member
Have mine set up with pretty low action, lower than from Collings, slightly higher than an electric, but not much. The neck is arrow straight, the fretwork fantastic and it rings cleanly on every fret all the way up the neck. Plays like the best acoustic I have ever played, much easier to play than the Super 400 and ES 175 I own.

Have set of Newtone Jazz strings on it, 12-52. Use 10-46s or 11-48s on electrics. I am cool with heavier gauge because of increase acoustic volume and because I'm reminded not to bend.

Most folks don't know about Newtones, which I get from Juststrings.com. Extremely high quality, even the plain strings have a heavier coat of silver making them smoother feeling. Much sweeter, more balanced and musical than mass market, which sound shrill by comparison. Their jazz strings are of an alternative construction which is accurately described on just strings.com site:

Newtone's Archtop Nickel Wound strings have a unique construction which gives them a distinctive feel and sound. Unlike typical electric guitar strings, the archtop wound strings have a double wrapping of nickel over a round core. This gives a warm tone but without the finger squeal of single wrapped strings. Guitarists report better intonation than flat wounds and more comfortable playing than round wound strings.

FWIW, Newtone electrics come in round and hex core. The round core strings are warmer and very easy on the fingers, have them on JG with Throbaks. Use hex on guitars with warmer pick up like the Bartlett with OX4s, gives a bit more snap and edge to tone.

They are more expensive, but last like 3+ times longer than D'As.

Trending Topics