Collings Eastside LC questions

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Jim-Dandy, Feb 15, 2015.

1. Jim-Dandy

Jim-Dandy Member

Does anyone know when Collings changes the top bracing from x-braced to parallel braced? How much of a difference in tone will this make amplified and acoustically?

2. The bear

The bear Member

Not sure when exactly, but they have been doing that for a while now.
    Mine is a 2012 model(nr.51 ever made) and I am almost certain that it has X-bracing.I tried to put my fingers inside of the s-hole to feel and it doesn't seem to have any parallel braciing. It is very acoustic sounding but not overly bright. Mine also has the humbucker which warms it up plugged in. The newer ones with the parallel bracing.mainly have the Charlie Christian pickup which adds a bit of definition. I have a feeling that the X-braced one sounds better with a humbucker than a CC-pickup. Not sure if they where making both X and parallel braced ones at the same time around the time I got mine.
    Shoot Mark Althans from Collings an email( mark@collingsguitars.com), he will fill you in more.

3. Jim-Dandy

Jim-Dandy Member

Thanks for the fast reply and information! I just sent a request to the general customer service address. I'll reach out to Mark if I don't hear back. In your opinion, is there a noticeable difference in sound between the two patterns on an Eastside (if you've had the chance to play each, that is)?

This is the first I've heard about the bracing change and I want to get better educated before pulling the trigger on one.

4. The bear

The bear Member

Hi, anytime. I might talk to Mark as well soon.
    I have played a bunch of eastsides, but when I played them I wasn't sure about the bracing in the actual guitar I was playing. Still until recently I wasn't sure if mine was X-braced or not. I do think mine is the most acoustic sounding out of the ones I have played though. It is very loud acoustically and sounds very sweet plugged in as well. I have even used it with OD and it works. I believe the parallel braced ones are slightly less acoustic sounding, maybe a bit less volume acoustically. Slightly more 175-sounding I think, yet more acoustic sounding than a real 175.

5. The bear

The bear Member

Hi, I think Mark might have been in touch with you regarding the differences with the bracing?

6. Jim-Dandy

Jim-Dandy Member

Thanks again bear! Mark has been in touch with me and was very helpful! All my interactions with the Collings guitar company have been stellar. I am looking forward to finding the right Eastside more than ever!

7. The bear

The bear Member

Great! It is a top notch company on every level.
    Which version of the eastside are you leaving towards? I used mine on a 5 hour duo jazz gig the other day and it sounded beautiful. I have a fair amount of youtube and soundcloud clips of the guitar in various settings if you are interested. I have mine strung up with thomastik 12-50. It is extremely easy to play.