Collings Electric at Gryphon Music

Discussion in 'The Small Company Luthiers' started by 58gasman, Sep 1, 2006.

1. 58gasman

58gasman Member

If any of you in the Bay Area get a chance, check out the new Collings Electric guitar at Gryphon Stringed Instruments in Palo Alto (CA). They have the Les Paul style, Tobacco Sunburst, Brazilian Board, Lollar pu's.

This guitar smokes.... If you like Gibsons and can afford a new Historic you should definitely check one of these out.

Oh yeah, they're about $4800.
    Have a great Labor Day weekend everybody.:dude

2. RAD

RAD Member

Is it just me or does anybody else think those white knobs on these guitars just look "wrong"?

3. 58gasman

58gasman Member

I kind of thought the same thing at first. However, once I saw the guitar in person they actually looked pretty cool.

4. JiMB

JiMB Member

LOL- I love this place!

5. RAD

RAD Member

Why can't we talk about the knobs? The overall aestetics of an instrument plays an important role for many people who contribute to this forum. And I was just express my opinion: given that these are high dollar instruments the plastic knobs just put me off, that's all.

6. whoismarykelly

whoismarykelly Oh look! This is a thing I can change!

I agree. Especially on an instrument of this caliber. The customer should be 100% satisfied, even down to the knobs. Id prolly put some THG wood ones on.

7. 58gasman

58gasman Member

I would estimate the weight of the one I played at approximately 8 lbs- maybe lighter. Smooth fretwork -- no issues. Very nice sparkle to sound acoustically and electrically. I played it briefly-- and I suck, but in my humble opinion this instrument is a cut above. Of course YMMV, but it seems that they at least paid attention to those basic quality issues one should expect from an instrument at this price point.

Disclaimer: I have no affiliation with Collings, or Gryphon Music. And frankly, I'm not all that much of a Les Paul guy ( like the looks and sound) just not for me.

Collings seems to be doing it right it will be interesting to see how the market treats these instruments.

Peace

8. karmadave

karmadave Member

If they are anywhere near the quality of Collings acoustics, these are nice guitars. I was at Gryphon a couple days ago and saw the semi-hollow hanging on the wall. I didn't see the Lester-type, so maybe it's on display now. I'd love to hear how they sound thru one of their Carr Amps.

-KD

9. billyguitar

billyguitar Member

the knobs are carved out of layered ivoroid. Extremely cool!

10. Trandy

Trandy Supporting Member

Exactly.

Photos do not do the knobs justice. Go see one in person...the knobs look absolutely luxurious.

The guys at Collings say that all of the City Limits will weigh between 7.75 and 8.25 lbs. and no more.

The first City Limts Deluxe we received was 8 lbs. on the nose.

The build quality was amazing...and the tone was to die for.

11. JoeB63

JoeB63 Supporting Member

I took the Collings factory tour 2 weeks ago and watched them making some of those. Pretty cool, but I have to say that it seemed like they were still figuring out what works on those models. Maybe not, but it's the feeling I got. I saw one guy sanding off the stain on a couple of LP-style guitars and I watched Bill Collings training some new guys how to do fretwork on one of the 335 types.

On the other hand, I got to play a few of them at NAMM and they sure seemed very, very nice. And I really liked the knobs!

12. dewman

dewman Gold Supporting Member

played Stu's at Fatsound...holy god. wonderful guitar....

13. Guitar James

Guitar James Member

Those Collings look real nice, can anybody tell me the neck profile/shape on these guitars? I like a pretty fat neck.

14. BIGGERSTAFF

BIGGERSTAFF Member

+1

That guitar sings.

15. Ken Swanson

Ken Swanson Member

I played Stu's also. It really is an incredible guitar. Weight was around 7.5 pounds. I also agree about the knobs. Looked pretty cheesy in the photos, but when you see them in person, they really belong on the guitar. They match the tuners and the truss rod cover. Pretty darn classy!

16. GAT

GAT Gold Supporting Member

Tim,

Do you have any on order now?

17. Frater B

Frater B Member

This is the biggest picture I could find.

http://www.collingsguitars.com/pop_CL_knob.htm

http://www.collingsguitars.com/pop_CL_sb_hardware.htm

Custom-made grained ivoroid knobs and pickup rings.

Nice cut out on the bottom when sitting, and a slight tummy cut, nice touch. Any other companies do this bottom cut out?

18. GAT

GAT Gold Supporting Member

Thanks for posting those pics, now it looks good to me.

19. strat222

strat222 Silver Supporting Member

I played one of the Collins electrics at Lidgett Music in Council Bluffs, IA and it was incredible. It had that Robben Ford tone and the build quality was absolutely unbelievable. Everything, including the knobs, are hand made or carved. The guitar I played was #2 also. Really cool!!!

20. JeffD

JeffD Very slow but persistent Supporting Member

California Central Coast between LA and the Bay