Collings Electrics!

Discussion in 'The Small Company Luthiers' started by 6thstringmusic, Jul 21, 2006.

1. 6thstringmusic

6thstringmusic Member

I am absolutely loving these new pictures so I thought I would share with all of you. I unfortunately was unable to make it out to summer NAMM this year, and seeing these pictures makes me that much more sad haha.

Hopefully I will be an owner of one or two in the future as they look stunning and already have rave reviews from friends of mine at the show.

Enjoy- http://fretboardjournal.com/blog/2006/07/15/austin-2006-summer-namm-collings/

I am wondering if his LP style guitar is aiming for the '59 tone... maybe some new competition for JG??? Realistically I do think it will be a bit more unique rather than "new vintage", but we will see.

The top 10 dealers are all getting a single guitar from the NAMM show and then the current production orders should start shipping soon. I'd love to hear other reviews as well if you've played 'em.

The junior is reasonable, I believe retailing at $2500. Considering the pups are all Lollars and Collings craftsmanship is always top-notch, looks like there are definitely some new killer guitars on the market.

2. Fuchsaudio

Fuchsaudio Member

Saw them (I was very impressed), didn't get a chance to play them, but hope to. Collings craftsmenship is outstanding. I think he'll do well with them

3. kingsleyd

kingsleyd Frikkin genyus Gold Supporting Member

The 335-style sure looks cool. Wish I'd been @ NAMM this summer...

4. jjhboots

jjhboots Member

I was able to make it to the NAMM show and was able to play a few. The 335 is particularly impressive. There was an archtop jazz guitar as well that got rave reviews. I know that the Collings guys have had a few of the local guitar slingers play the LP-type guitars and the buzz has been very positive.

5. Dave Orban

Dave Orban Gold Supporting Member

I dunno... in a smoky bar, they look just like Fenders...

LOL! The look cool, and I'll bet the 335 is WAY cool!

6. cnardone

cnardone Supporting Member

Perfect, more guitars for me to lust after. Just what i need.

They sure do like nice. The 335 must be MY-T-Fine

cmn

7. JoeB63

JoeB63 Supporting Member

I played them at NAMM. Nice, but hard to justify how expensive they were. I liked the 335-style guitar the most - the mahogany back was hollowed out like a PRS Hollowbody. It's not frame-type guitar like a Gibson 335.

The LP-style guitars were chambered. Nice, but no nicer than other guitars of that type (Baker, Hamer, etc.). I couldn't see paying the bucks for that one.

The Jr. Style one was very nice - I forgot how much the price was supposed to be on that one.

Like i said, they very nice, but is wasn't like WOW! I've never seen or heard anything this nice, or this good, before.

8. MJR

MJR Member

[​IMG]

I'm really digging the amber/orangish Jr. with the white 'guard. Veeery nice. :)

9. Bryan T

Bryan T Guitar Owner Silver Supporting Member

Has anyone seen a price list on these yet? I talked to the Collings folks about these at winter NAMM and remember that they were astronomically expensive. I don't remember exact figures, but I seem to recall that the 335 style was about $5K.

Bryan

10. tonedaddy

tonedaddy Member

I am here as you are here as you are me and we are
    After the last NAMM, Collings dealer Gryphon Strings said to expect the electric line to start at over $3k. I'd assume that means the Jr. will start there, and the rest to go higher.

11. pluto

pluto Member

you can already get a price quote for them on the fatsound website. I think the Les Paul looking one was quoted at about 3500.

12. 6thstringmusic

6thstringmusic Member

I was quoted $2200 for a junior, sounds like a good deal to me. I think the LPs are going to be around $4800 and the 335s over 5k.

13. Matt F

Matt F Member

Wow, I bet those instruments are nothing less than spectacular..

14. Rocktrans formed

Rocktrans formed Member

Why doesn't the Collings website have anything about the electrics?

15. beNsteR

beNsteR Member

Hmm my first thoughts are that those prices seem pretty high for what the guitars are.

I love their acoustic guitars, but even though they are established acoustic makers, they are new to the electric guitar market. (and i'm not saying that a good acoustic maker can't build a good electric.)

For that kind of money, ($3500-5000) i can choose between killer small builders like Thorn, Driskill, Huber, *maybe* J.G.. etc, and get a whole range of custom options, personalized service, and am assured of killer craftsmanship.

I wonder if Collings going to offer that level of customization and personalized service at the same price range, or are they basically production line instruments with limited options like their acoustics?

just my thoughts..

16. 6thstringmusic

6thstringmusic Member

Talked to another one of my buddies who was at the show and played the guitars- he said the LPs were awesome- right weight, great sound, etc etc - "easily competes with the gustavsson"...

With a statement like that I could (somewhat) justify their pricetags. Of course I'd like it to be cheaper as a consumer but people who know Collings know that their build quality (components, detail etc) is second to none. God Bless the USA.

I'd imagine Collings will have info up soon on their site but since it's so new, I guess they're just not caught up. I could be very wrong, but I do not think they will have any trouble moving their new line- thus, advertising isn't as big of a priority.

17. kingsleyd

kingsleyd Frikkin genyus Gold Supporting Member

Good points, but it does depend on what you're after. Your custom builders (and JG is a different kettle o'fish here) build guitars that have more unique and idiosyncratic sounds. If that's what you're after, great (and how nice to have someone like Thorn or Huber around to provide that) but if you're after a guitar that nails a more traditional Les Paul sort of tone, feel, and look, you don't necessarily want to be messing around with options. Standard models built by someone such as JG involve every bit as much time and material cost as custom guitars, especially when the builder involved isn't tooled up at the level of a bigger company.

18. 6thstringmusic

6thstringmusic Member

+1!

19. phoenix 7

phoenix 7 Silver Supporting Member

I've owned a bunch of Collings acoustics over the years, and still have two, including a Brazilian/Adirondack OM-3 cutaway. (I moderated the Collings forum for a long time, too.) I've gotten to know some of the guys at Collings and they know their stuff. They give 110% percent to every guitar they make, and no compromises. They are pricey, but, if the electrics are in the same league as the acoustics -- which are superb with amazingly consistent quality -- the electrics will be worth every penny.

20. enr1co

enr1co Member

Here are a few pics from gryphonstrings.com visit to the Collings factory during summer NAMM

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]