Collings: finish

Discussion in 'Acoustic Instruments' started by Reyybarra, May 8, 2016.

1. Reyybarra

Reyybarra Supporting Member

so I posted a questions about the Collings I recently bought earlier, but, today I think I majorly screwed up.

I went and bought a "nice" cloth for the case, I sweat a lil bit on my forearm when I play and of course I spit a lil when I sing, so I spent 15$ on a nice cloth and came home and sprayed a pump of Dunlop 65 on the back and began to wipe down with the cloth.

Now I have this weird haze in weird spots on the back. Wtf is going on!? Has anyone experienced this? I tried with silk to buff it out, but it's in there, I have no idea what to do. Anyone?

They said it was a varnish finish but one spray and this? Any insight is appreciated.

Rey

2. bayAreaDude

bayAreaDude Member

I'd call or email the factory directly - they've always been super cool the couple of times I've called.

3. Reyybarra

Reyybarra Supporting Member

I did...
    They kinda gave me the "well you should have known." Which I'm not mad at them or feel offended, I'm just not an acoustic player. I got this cause it spoke to me, but I own an Artinger and I don't beat it, but I do play it hard. So was just surprised I guess you would say.

4. dead of night

dead of night Member

I emailed Collings about the varnish finish and they said it's better to just use water on a damp microfiber cloth. A polish or cleaner will take the varnish off, they said.

5. guitararmy

guitararmy Member

I don't have a Collings with the varnish finish. It would make sense for them to include a tip sheet with the guitar describing how to care for it, since it sounds like it doesn't behave like other finishes.....

Many of us are aware of the risks of guitar straps and bug repellent with a nitrocellulose finish, but varnish sounds like a different kettle of fish...

I found this in the FAQ section of the Collings website:

How is the varnish finish option different from the standard lacquer finish?
    Varnish is a softer and therefore more flexible finish material. While there are subtle tonal advantages to the varnish finish, this option is not for everyone. Unlike lacquer, the process for applying varnish is not conducive to "finish touch-ups", meaning that we cannot repair some minor imperfections such as small pinholes, bubbles, or sinks. While we've always taken pride in our high standard for fit and finish, we cannot produce varnish instruments to the level of cosmetic "perfection" as we can with our lacquer finish instruments. The varnish finish has a beautiful, rich luster, but may include very small imperfections when put under close examination.

Additionally, the softer finish is not as protective as the harder lacquer finish. The alkyd resin-based varnish finish is very slow to cure and can be relatively soft on new instruments. The finish will continue to harden as the instrument ages, but new varnish instruments can be vulnerable to scratches, dings, and imprinting. By its very nature, varnish can shrink, wrinkle, and/or dull over time and is not likely to maintain a "new" appearance as well as lacquer instruments. With that said, the varnish finish allows the instrument to vibrate more freely and can produce a more responsive instrument with a greater depth of tone.

6. Mc-K

Mc-K Gold Supporting Member

If you bought the guitar new it would have had a tip sheet in the case, at least the two I bought had a special care sheet in the case on delivery.