• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Collings guitars@ NAMM 2014

57gold

Gold Supporting Member
One intense guy!!!

What did you think of CL Jazz...and Bill's "broken glass" inlays?

Have a CL Jazz from NAMM, may be the first year he introduced that model. Rings forever. Wish I had your jazz chops to do it justice.

Practiced/played with it this morning and my son asked, "how can a skinny guitar like that be so loud?"

The bear

One intense guy!!!

What did you think of CL Jazz...and Bill's "broken glass" inlays?

Have a CL Jazz from NAMM, may be the first year he introduced that model. Rings forever. Wish I had your jazz chops to do it justice.

Practiced/played with it this morning and my son asked, "how can a skinny guitar like that be so loud?"
Hi, this was the first time I met Bill Collings, he is a really cool guy,with nice sense of humor. Seems extremely sharp!
I have seen your CL jazz it is a real beauty.
This is the second one I played, they are incredible guitars. It might take me a while to get used to the 25.5 scale on it, but I wouldn't be too worried about it.
My new soco spruce is like a marriage between a soco and CL jazz. Did you see that guitar?

57gold

Gold Supporting Member
Hi, this was the first time I met Bill Collings, he is a really cool guy,with nice sense of humor. Seems extremely sharp!
I have seen your CL jazz it is a real beauty.
This is the second one I played, they are incredible guitars. It might take me a while to get used to the 25.5 scale on it, but I wouldn't be too worried about it.
My new soco spruce is like a marriage between a soco and CL jazz. Did you see that guitar?
Yes, have seen your spruce Soco with the deep burst finish. Very pretty.

Was working with a Joe Diorio Jazz Blues book yesterday that has some comping samples, and the 4 fret stretch chord voicings on a couple are a bit tough below the 7th fret with the CL Jazz, for me. Much easier on an ES175. But I switch between Gibsons and Fenders at my little blues gigs, so not a huge issue.

Bill is an original. Met him when he had just started in Austin, was just him and Bruce. He is a fanatic about quality, woods and finishes...always looking to improve his art. He is very sharp...mind of an engineer.

When I look at his website and all the instruments he creates today, versus where he started...had a D, a Jumbo (Jim Messina's that he made when he built for Gruhn), an arch top (in process for Lyle Lovette) and a big pile of wood with a messy desk that contained too many orders for him to build when I first visited the shop...Collings Guitars is a pretty amazing success story in a very difficult business.

The bear

Yes, have seen your spruce Soco with the deep burst finish. Very pretty.

Was working with a Joe Diorio Jazz Blues book yesterday that has some comping samples, and the 4 fret stretch chord voicings on a couple are a bit tough below the 7th fret with the CL Jazz, for me. Much easier on an ES175. But I switch between Gibsons and Fenders at my little blues gigs, so not a huge issue.

Bill is an original. Met him when he had just started in Austin, was just him and Bruce. He is a fanatic about quality, woods and finishes...always looking to improve his art. He is very sharp...mind of an engineer.

When I look at his website and all the instruments he creates today, versus where he started...had a D, a Jumbo (Jim Messina's that he made when he built for Gruhn), an arch top (in process for Lyle Lovette) and a big pile of wood with a messy desk that contained too many orders for him to build when I first visited the shop...Collings Guitars is a pretty amazing success story in a very difficult business.
Very cool! I met Bruce, Steve and Mark too. Also a young builder, Aaron Huff, who is super talented. He built two archtops that was at the show. The blonde one isn't on any of the pictures, but you can see it on Collings FB. Stunning guitar. These folks are ultra talented and really nice. They have close to a hundred employees now. A real success-story. They are growing yet maintaining the quality of a one-man shop, both for acoustics, electrics, jazz guitars, mandolins and ukes. Quite impressive.

57gold

Gold Supporting Member
Very cool! I met Bruce, Steve and Mark too. Also a young builder, Aaron Huff, who is super talented. He built two archtops that was at the show. The blonde one isn't on any of the pictures, but you can see it on Collings FB. Stunning guitar. These folks are ultra talented and really nice. They have close to a hundred employees now. A real success-story. They are growing yet maintaining the quality of a one-man shop, both for acoustics, electrics, jazz guitars, mandolins and ukes. Quite impressive.
Yup, that is a beautiful arch top. Have though of ordering/buying a used one when they come up for sale every couple of years...but need to come take some jazz lessons with you to be even close to meritorious of one. Cover the jazz box spectrum with the CL Jazz, a 1957 ES 175D and a 1964 Super 400 (that already is too much guitar for me...and I suspect most normal players).

Funny that Jim Messina is pictured on the FB site playing a Collings at NAMM 25 years later. My first visit to Collings had to be in 1999, took delivery of my first Collings that I ordered on my first visit when we lived in Manhattan and we moved to FL in Dec 2000. So Messina is a loyal/enthusiastic Collings guy, like us.

Also cool to see Dean Fearing, one of America's greatest chefs at the booth. Have loved his food since the Mansion on Turtle Creek days...a southwestern cuisine pioneer. Didn't know he played.

Meet Bill and his team, understand their commitment to excellence and get intimate with one of his guitars (which means playing it in...he builds for posterity), hard not to join the club.

Last edited:

Trending Topics

Top Bottom