Collings I-35 LC - ThroBaks ER Custom or PG102?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Guspin, Dec 2, 2017.

1. Guspin

Guspin Member

Hi!
    I would like to order a Collings I-35 LC and I not sure what pickups to choose.
    I want to get a warm Jazz tone
    Mark from Collings told me that Either the ER Custom or the PG102 models would be great for Jazz!
    I know that the Collings came now with Lollar Low Wind Imperial that I think it can be work too.
    What do you think?
    Thanks

2. FiestaRed

FiestaRed Gold Supporting Member

I've had Lollar Low Winds in a Collings 360 and Throbaks in LPs and a 335. I'd stick with the Lollars

dead of night and Guspin like this.
  3. River Hill

River Hill Supporting Member

I would reach out to @The bear and get his suggestion. He plays amazing Jazz Tones with his Collings.

The bear likes this.
  4. The bear

The bear Member

Thanks! I have the Throbak SLE 101's in my I-35lc and spruce top soco, love them. I have limited experiences with the PG's and ER Customs.

5. joel

joel Member

A different guitar and all, but... I have a Collings CLD with ER Custom MXVs. I always hear a bit of crunch, you might say 'snarl' or 'growl' in its voice unless turned way down. Perfect for an LP type instrument, but a little less smooth than I imagine someone might choose for jazz. Definitely warm and fat though, and somehow clear in spite of its thicker tone. That's how it sounds to my ears, anyway. I have not tried any other Throbacks or Lollars. Don't forget to ask at the Collings Forum. Good luck, and I'm sure you'll end up with a fantastic guitar!

Guspin likes this.
  6. Chris Piekutowski

Chris Piekutowski clpski Silver Supporting Member

I wanted a similar tone as you, and ordered the low winds. Fits the bill, and I love the guitar, it is a keeper.

Guspin likes this.
  7. Guspin

Guspin Member

Thanks to all for your imputs!
    I have heard that the Lollar sound a little a bit "Sterile"
    What do you think Chris?
    On the other hand Mark from Collins say:

"The primary difference between these two pickup makers is as follows -

ThroBaks generally have more harmonic content as well as clarity and detail. As such, they tend to sound more lively when playing unaccompanied. Conversely, Lollars tend to sound more beefy and thick than ThroBaks, and they seem to be voiced particularly for handling overdrive and high volume settings. In this context, ThroBaks can send less "controlled" than ThroBaks. Does that make sense? "

8. dnrohr

dnrohr Member

PG102's are my favorite for I-35 LC's. Look up Anthony DaCosta on youtube if you want to hear what they sound like. But it really just comes down to personal taste.

9. beorn

beorn Member

Not to me...

GuitarNorton and Trebor Renkluaf like this.
  10. The bear

The bear Member

What pickups do you have in your spruce top I-35? Da Costa is great but not really a jazz player?
    It's weird, up until recently it seems like the Throbak SLE-101's have been the recommended pickups for jazz. Isn't the PG more suitable for blues?
    I have the lollars in my old soco deluxe, they work well too. They have a lot less output than the Throbaks. There is definitely more than one choice out there.

11. The bear

The bear Member

Actually the statement "Throbaks can sound "less controlled" than Throbaks", doesn't make any sense.

12. django49

django49 Member

To me, the low winds (in an I35-LC) have a great clarity that I have seldom heard in a semi-hollow. That includes my favorite (all time) ES-335 (Duncan Antiquities) and Huber Reitbergen (with Haussell 59s). I would hardly call them "sterile". They are a good platform IF a person wants to add gain.

13. The Opera Panther

The Opera Panther Supporting Member

My I35lc came with the low wind Lollars. Love them. Of course, this is the guitar I bought after playing it in the shop for an hour, so it’s not like I ever intended on changing anything. Loved the guitar, bought it. Continue to play it a lot.

14. Guspin

Guspin Member

Mark from Collings wanted to say that Throbaks can sound less controlled than Lollar...

15. Guspin

Guspin Member

Which is the main difference between PG102 and SLE-101?
    I guess that now for Coillings the ER-custom is your favorite for I-35

16. Guspin

Guspin Member

Customer Service from Collings says:
    Either the ER Custom or the PG102 models would be great for Jazz! The PG's would have a slightly looser feel compared to the ER's which are tighter and more focused.

17. joesnewmatch

joesnewmatch Music Is My Soul Food Supporting Member

I have Lollars in mine, with flatwounds, volume rolled back, tone rolled back more, through a blackface with Reverb. Sounds fat, clear, and beautiful.

The bear likes this.
  18. The bear

The bear Member

Cool, which maker and gauge do you use for your flats? I have Thomastik 12-50 swing Series(flatwounds on my Eastside. TI 12-50 rounds on my Eastside jazz(15" version of the Eastside. For my soco's and I-35lc, I use Curt Mangan 11-48(rounds).

19. bearbike137

bearbike137 Supporting Member

In this A/B comparison video - in the same guitar - I prefer the Lollars over the Throbaks:

20. dnrohr

dnrohr Member

You're totally right. I only half read the OP. If he's going warm and jazzy the low-winds aren't a bad choice. That's what's in the spruce top. I'd definitely go A2 in the neck and not too hot.

The bear likes this.