Collings I-35 LC - ThroBaks ER Custom or PG102?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Guspin, Dec 2, 2017.

1. joesnewmatch

joesnewmatch Music Is My Soul Food Supporting Member

I like those Curt Mangans. I can't remember which I have on the I-35lc at this point, because I've tried a bunch on several guitars. Never tried the Thomastiks, personally, but hear nothing but praise. I think I have 11-50s, currently.

Can't wait for your review and demo of the I-30lc!!!

The bear likes this.
  2. The bear

The bear Member

I have two soco's, the deluxe has the lollars and the spruce soco has the Throbak SLE 101's.

3. Guspin

Guspin Member

I told with Jerrylefty guitars from Sarasota and told me that the I-35 LC is coming in a few Months and has the Throbak SLE 101

4. Chris Piekutowski

Chris Piekutowski clpski Silver Supporting Member

To me the neck pick up on the Imperials is very mellow with some chime, when played through may Head Strong, when I play it through my Swart it has a warm tone with a little growl. The bridge pickup retains the chime with a little snap one the Head Strong and on the Swart has a super cool Growl. I have a 50s thin line CS tele, a Nocaster CS, a Tom Anderson Start, a Penguin, a 57 Les Paul CS and a K-Line san Bernardino. The sound from my Collings is what i prefer the most and has become the bar by which my other guitars are measured.

jens5 and joesnewmatch like this.
  5. Guspin

Guspin Member

What about the Throbak SLE 101??

6. The bear

The bear Member

What about them?
    As mentioned I have them in both my I-35lc and Soco Spruce and really like them. I am a fulltime jazz player, they work great for jazz.

Guspin likes this.
  7. Guspin

Guspin Member

Thanks for your reply!

The bear likes this.
  8. Guspin

Guspin Member

Mark from Collings says that:

Hey Gustavo,

Either the ER Custom or the PG102 models would be great for Jazz! The PG's would have a slightly looser feel compared to the ER's which are tighter and more focused.

The SLE-101 Plus set is very nice for Jazz playing, but another great set if you'd like your tone to be thicker and darker is the PG-102 set.

It might be good for you to try the guitar as it is though because those SLE's are quite nice. They are our personal favorite set for the I35's.

9. GuitarNorton

GuitarNorton Member

So do I. Sound clearer.

10. moidan

moidan Member

me too - to my ears the Lollars sounds much better

11. duaneallen

duaneallen Supporting Member

I have an I35LC and a Soco 16LC. The I35LC has standard Lollar Imperials and the Soco 16 has Throbak SLE 101s. Both guitars sound amazing. I am a jazz player as well, and both sets sound fantastic for jazz. My Soco cam with the SLE 101+s, and I did not like them at all. Very mid focused and aggressive sounding to me. The regular 101s sound SO much better to me; much softer and warmer sounding. The regular Lollars are also very warm sounding. Its funny because for a while, all the rage was the Lollars, and now its the Throbaks. The Lollars sound just as good, and a bit cheaper too. Then again, I love SD Antiquities, which are even cheaper.....

12. jens5

jens5 Silver Supporting Member

Collings forum is down.

13. Yooper

Yooper Member

No bad choices.

I'm a fan of Duncan Seths in semis. When I got a Heritage H535 it had Duncan '59s. Good, but not enough mids for me. Jon at ThroBak has ER Customs in his 535, so I took a chance. I love them. They are a bit tighter on bass than Seths and have punchier mids than the Duncan '59s. Nice balance with that great un-potted open tone.

Mincer likes this.