• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Collings I35 LC Vintage made it to me, and I am "happy happy happy"

Groberts

Gold Supporting Member
How different sounging is the Collings I-35LC "Vintage" from a Collings I-35L with Throbak PU's? Has anyone compared the two?

beckstriad

I'm frosting a cake with a paper knife
Double Platinum Member
such amazingly beautiful guitars that play smoothly. Love rolling the tone off a bit on the bridge and neck. Mine has Throbak pickups. Sublime. Enjoy your new guitar!

The bear

How different sounging is the Collings I-35LC "Vintage" from a Collings I-35L with Throbak PU's? Has anyone compared the two?
I have both the regular I-35lc with Throbak SLE101+ and the new vintage(which has a lower out put set called the ESG 102). Very different sounding guitars. Different laminate, center block, electronics, truss rod carve, neck shape etc. Even with the identical pickup model they would sound different. The vintage has a dried, more woody and slightly nasal sound. he regular one is a little more neutral and compressed sounding. Can get into LP land a bit too while still having a semi hollow sound. The vintage is very much like a great old 335, just a bit smaller and a little more dynamic.

I have both the regular I-35lc with Throbak SLE101+ and the new vintage(which has a lower out put set called the ESG 102). Very different sounding guitars. Different laminate, center block, electronics, truss rod carve, neck shape etc. Even with the identical pickup model they would sound different. The vintage has a dried, more woody and slightly nasal sound. he regular one is a little more neutral and compressed sounding. Can get into LP land a bit too while still having a semi hollow sound. The vintage is very much like a great old 335, just a bit smaller and a little more dynamic.
What color is this one of yours below? It is the closest to my dream spec from Collings.

foiFL14.jpg

The bear

What color is this one of yours below? It is the closest to my dream spec from Collings.
Hi, the color is lemon drop. I custom ordered the guitar through Collings. I had seen a lemon drop Collings CL that I liked and thought it would look cool on an I-35lc. Not sure if they have made other I-35's in that color. It's a really great guitar, super light(only 6.5lbs).

100% Zulu Boy

Gold Supporting Member
I have both the regular I-35lc with Throbak SLE101+ and the new vintage(which has a lower out put set called the ESG 102). Very different sounding guitars. Different laminate, center block, electronics, truss rod carve, neck shape etc. Even with the identical pickup model they would sound different.

Hi Bear,

I have an I-35 LC, and I DM’d you a couple of weeks ago asking about how much you thought the different Throbak pickups used in the LC and the LC Vintage contributed to the difference in tone between the two models.

I had a chance to find out for myself last weekend; I found a pair of Collings LC Vintage spec ESG-102b’s on this forum. They transformed my guitar — there was nothing wrong at all with the SLE 101+ but I wanted to hear more of that sharp, funky woody sound I associate with vintage 335’s, and the ESG’s brought all that and more.

I also changed the stop tailpiece to a lightweight Faber unit and raised it up a little, and the feel loosened up in a good way and the acoustic tone/overtones got livelier. All up it’s not an LC nor is it an LC Vintage, but it’s it’s like a child of two parents — it’s got a little bit of both but some of its own thing, too.

in any case I’m really happy with where the guitar is now, it was excellent before, but it’s great now for what I like to hear.

Viva the I-35 in all its incarnations!

~j

The bear

Hi Bear,

I have an I-35 LC, and I DM’d you a couple of weeks ago asking about how much you thought the different Throbak pickups used in the LC and the LC Vintage contributed to the difference in tone between the two models.

I had a chance to find out for myself last weekend; I found a pair of Collings LC Vintage spec ESG-102b’s on this forum. They transformed my guitar — there was nothing wrong at all with the SLE 101+ but I wanted to hear more of that sharp, funky woody sound I associate with vintage 335’s, and the ESG’s brought all that and more.

I also changed the stop tailpiece to a lightweight Faber unit and raised it up a little, and the feel loosened up in a good way and the acoustic tone/overtones got livelier. All up it’s not an LC nor is it an LC Vintage, but it’s it’s like a child of two parents — it’s got a little bit of both but some of its own thing, too.

in any case I’m really happy with where the guitar is now, it was excellent before, but it’s great now for what I like to hear.

~j
Ah, that is great! Sometimes a little tweak is what it takes. I have those SLE 101+ in my old I-35lc and also in my spruce top Soco. They defiantly seem like they have higher output than the 102 ESG's. I am more used to those SLE's frankly but I like the vintage model a lot with the 102's.

Bach88s

Double Platinum Member
Hi Bear,

~j
I did the same thing with my I35LC vintage after I first bought it. I changed the heavier tailpiece out for a lightweight vintage type. It totally transformed the guitar and made it more open sounding.

The bear

I did the same thing with my I35LC vintage after I first bought it. I changed the heavier tailpiece out for a lightweight vintage type. It totally transformed the guitar and made it more open sounding.
I remember you mentioned that.

Jimmy MAck

Yes, lightweight SB tails will open a guitar up, and give a looser feel after raising them up a bit, even on Epiphones. But that did not work on a 339 that I own???

100% Zulu Boy

Gold Supporting Member
Ah, that is great! Sometimes a little tweak is what it takes. I have those SLE 101+ in my old I-35lc and also in my spruce top Soco. They defiantly seem like they have higher output than the 102 ESG's. I am more used to those SLE's frankly but I like the vintage model a lot with the 102's.

If I had the luxury or even the inclination to have two I-35s, I would have left the SLE's in my LC and bought an LC Vintage to go with it. I don't feel right about putting that much money into guitars, and as a practical matter I don't want to get to a place where I think I have too many guitars -- at a certain point joy of ownership becomes excess baggage and unnecessary responsibility. So instead, I split the difference between them and landed in a great place -- I effectively traded the SLE's for the ESG's, and I know if I ever want to reverse it that I'll always be able to sell the ESG's for what it would cost to get another set of SLE's, it's sort of like trying new flavors for free.

The bear

If I had the luxury or even the inclination to have two I-35s, I would have left the SLE's in my LC and bought an LC Vintage to go with it. I don't feel right about putting that much money into guitars, and as a practical matter I don't want to get to a place where I think I have too many guitars -- at a certain point joy of ownership becomes excess baggage and unnecessary responsibility. So instead, I split the difference between them and landed in a great place -- I effectively traded the SLE's for the ESG's, and I know if I ever want to reverse it that I'll always be able to sell the ESG's for what it would cost to get another set of SLE's, it's sort of like trying new flavors for free.
One of these is plenty. In fact, if I was forced to only own one guitar it would be an I-35lc of some sorts.

The bear

Hi Bear,

Yes and actually I did the same thing on my Orca 59 as well. I liked the results there too. It just seems to have more of an open feel to it.

Nice, I may have to try it some time, but I like the guitar so much already that I don't want to do much changes on it, if any. The only mod I am considering is changing from the 50's wiring to the modern wiring. I have that on most of my guitars, and custom ordered my I-35lc that way. Not sure how well that would work on the vintage, it has a different set of pots etc. I like the volume knob to be more gradual since I adjust it a lot when I play. I need to get some insight from Collings on the topic. They told me specifically on the I-35lc vintage, the guitar sounds better when the knobs are not all the way on 10, I think I agree on that.

Bach88s

Double Platinum Member
Nice, I may have to try it some time, but I like the guitar so much already that I don't want to do much changes on it, if any. The only mod I am considering is changing from the 50's wiring to the modern wiring. I have that on most of my guitars, and custom ordered my I-35lc that way. Not sure how well that would work on the vintage, it has a different set of pots etc. I like the volume knob to be more gradual since I adjust it a lot when I play. I need to get some insight from Collings on the topic. They told me specifically on the I-35lc vintage, the guitar sounds better when the knobs are not all the way on 10, I think I agree on that.

Thanks, and I totally get it. I jumped down a rabbit hole on my SG. But on that I was trying to find the right pickups. That was a chore. Different capacitors, etc. But I finally lucked out and got a killer combination to work. The wiring scheme, pots, caps, etc are huge. I think thats a great idea to get some insight from them. Thats crazy, I noticed that too on the V model. But never thought about it until I read your post. Thanks for the info.

The bear

Thanks, and I totally get it. I jumped down a rabbit hole on my SG. But on that I was trying to find the right pickups. That was a chore. Different capacitors, etc. But I finally lucked out and got a killer combination to work. The wiring scheme, pots, caps, etc are huge. I think thats a great idea to get some insight from them. Thats crazy, I noticed that too on the V model. But never thought about it until I read your post. Thanks for the info.
I will keep you posted if I go down that route. I usually have very little mods done but every now and then I have some.

100% Zulu Boy

Gold Supporting Member
They told me specifically on the I-35lc vintage, the guitar sounds better when the knobs are not all the way on 10, I think I agree on that.

I get that. I didn't say that when I got the guitar the three way switch felt loose and like it was getting ready to break, so i pulled the electronics and replace the switch with a NOS early '60s Switchcraft example, and while I was at it I replaced the caps with the same Luxe bees that Collings uses on the Vintage. I've used those in a couple of other semi-hollow guitars and the tone colors that are available are great. I kept the 50s wiring but swapped the position of all the the pots so that the bridge volume pot saw the highest resistance, the neck volume next, and the lowest resistance pair became tone pots. There is a lot of treble roll-of between 10 and 8 and then not so much as I roll down, so i set my amp up so that the volume and tone is where I want it at 8, and when I roll it up past 8 it's like kicking on a boost pedal or something. I can lose an hour just playing around with the controls, there are so many cool sounds there.

Congratulations on your new guitar, BTW, it's spectacular!

~j

maplebaby

what tailpiece did you choose?

Trending Topics

Top Bottom