Collings OM shootout

gear007

I presently have a pair on OMs under my roof. A '04 OM1A and OM3MRA varnish from 2010. :banana. I did a short shootout of the 2 with my phone. I'm not used to the 1 11/16" nut width on the '10, but regardless, here is the shootout. Let me know if you can hear major differences.
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=aJic7m2kT00

DanR

While I can definitely hear a difference between the two guitars, I don't think a video (not just your video, I wouldn't trust any video/audio clip through my little computer speakers) brings out the specific nuances which would allow me to decide which I like best. The vast majority of the time, I prefer rosewood back and sides to mahogany, everything else being equal.

How did the '10 OM come with the 1 11/16" nut? Was it a custom order?

gear007

While I can definitely hear a difference between the two guitars, I don't think a video (not just your video, I wouldn't trust any video/audio clip through my little computer speakers) brings out the specific nuances which would allow me to decide which I like best. The vast majority of the time, I prefer rosewood back and sides to mahogany, everything else being equal.

How did the '10 OM come with the 1 11/16" nut? Was it a custom order?
I believe the 1 11/16 is standard.

DanR

I believe the 1 11/16 is standard.
I'll be darned, you're right. I assumed that because Martin OMs are usually 1 3/4" and the 000s were 1 11/16", that Collings followed suit. I played a few Collings OMs at Elderly Instruments a few years ago and they were 1 3/4" but they must have been custom ordered that way.

mep

Silver Supporting Member
To me the varnish guitar sounds more mature, warmer and not as boxey in the mid-range. There is nothing wrong with the 04 OM1 but I like the OM3 varnish better. I do have a tendency to choose rosewood over mahogany. BTW I did this as a blind test using headphones before I looked to see which guitar was which.

gear007

To me the varnish guitar sounds more mature, warmer and not as boxey in the mid-range. There is nothing wrong with the 04 OM1 but I like the OM3 varnish better. I do have a tendency to choose rosewood over mahogany. BTW I did this as a blind test using headphones before I looked to see which guitar was which.
In person, there is a substantial difference in the "thickness" in tone, i.e. The rosewood has more of it. The rosewood seems to have more of everything in person as a matter of fact. That said, I think the 'hog records pretty well. FWIW, I need to get the neck angle adjusted by a pro on the OM3. It's a bit off.

riffmeister

OM3.....more mid-scooped.
OM1.....more midrange grunt.

Just as it should be. :)

Nice comparison, thanks for posting!

mudster

High Prairie Wrangler
Gold Supporting Member
The Varnish has a much more open timbre. I don't think the mids are scooped, I just think they are more pronounced on the guitar w/out varnish. That one has the typical "collings" tone.

kevmin

I prefer the tone of the OM3 slightly, but from watching the video, you seem to connect with the OM1 better. You seem more comfortable with it. Is that the one you like the best?

gear007

I prefer the tone of the OM3 slightly, but from watching the video, you seem to connect with the OM1 better. You seem more comfortable with it. Is that the one you like the best?
Absolutely. I've played the OM1 for about ten years. The other just arrived. I'm just beginning to get familiar with it. The neck angle is off as well = high action = hard to play. That will be addressed soon by a luthier. I like them both the same.

Mc-K

Platinum Supporting Member
The Collings price list lists the 1 3/4" nut width as a $50 option.