Collings singlecut 290 v. Doublecut 290 -sustain?

Discussion in 'The Small Company Luthiers' started by NBlair930, Feb 5, 2012.

1. NBlair930

NBlair930 Silver Supporting Member

Curious if the singlecut 290 sustains more than doublecut 290 due to more wood at the neck connection to the body. I guess this same comparison woulld hold true to a Gibson LP Special singlecutaway v. Double cutaway.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2012
  2. NBlair930

NBlair930 Silver Supporting Member

No one has any experience SC v. DC? An educated guess?

I ask becuase i was recently schocked by the perceived difference in sustain that my SG had when picked up immediatly after playing my Les Paul. In that case thicker body slab also plays a factor. In my example in the OP, the main difference is body type & neck attachment, but body thickness remains the same/similar.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2012
  3. No.9

No.9 Member

I want to say the DC version might have a bit more sustain with that single wraptail bridge. Tough to be sure about that, but I prefer the DC's feel and tone. Both have what you want, both are excellent guitars.

4. dead of night

dead of night Member

I'd like to revive this thread just to ask, all things being equal, what are the tonal differences between the single cut and the double cut body?

5. The bear

The bear Member

I have played both, but hasn't spent a whole lot of time with the double cut.
    I am mot sure if there is any difference in the sustain, probably nothing too noticeable. The singlecut might be a little mor fatter and deeper sounding, while the double cut is a bit more focused. Keep in mind that both models can be has with that wraparound bridge, which is actually designed and made in-house by Collings. Maybe shoot Mark at Collings an email and ask about the differences, he will give you an open and honest answer. Really a pleasant guy to deal with.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2014
  6. Samba

Samba Member

Wood varies, and so does sustain - the biggest factor when amplified is that the neck pickup on the DC is moved a little further away from the neck to facilitate the join to the body. Makes for a slightly different tone (a hint more middle pickup sounding.)

Which ever you go for, I'd opt for the Collings bell bronze wraptail. I've found them to be consistently warmer/bigger sounding than the two-piece.

You can see the gap to the fingerboard below:

[​IMG][​IMG]

7. dead of night

dead of night Member

That's a big difference about where the neck pickup is located. I imagine that would make for a different sound both in the neck pickup, but also in the middle position.

If I remember correctly, K Line said he deliberately moves both pickups closer to the bridge on his guitars that are styled this way. I can't remember why, but he may have said it makes for a clearer, less muddy sound?

8. Samba

Samba Member

Yes, the wound strings amplify a little more percussive/snappy from my experience. Though that might also have something to do with the different neck joints too. I like them both.