Collings SoCo Deluxe

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by trwigg, Apr 9, 2008.

1. trwigg

trwigg Member

Well, I have finally received my SoCo Deluxe and I must say I am very impressed with it. It is everything I had hoped it would be and more. It has a feel that it has been with you for a while and the tone ranges from flat out rock -n- roll to more clean jazz tones. I personaly didn't think it would do the jazz stuff very well because it isn't too deep, but I was very wrong about that. I got rid of my City Limits because I thought the P/U's were lame but this guy more than makes up for it. The P/U's in the SoCo are just labeled "Jason Lollar Custom Wound" so I am not sure of the exact differences; however, one thing I am sure about is these p/u's are hot and have butter tone. I played it through a Swart 6V6se and a Divided by 13 CJ11 and the results were the same - stunning. If you are thinking about buying one of these, just do it you will not be disappointed. If you play metal, I don't have a clue if you will like it for that type of music but most likely not. I will probably be listing my 335 on the Emporium since this purchase.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Sorry for not posting the pics earlier. I borrowed the pics from Stu at Fat Sound where I do all my business. Enjoy.

2. Dave Orban

Dave Orban Gold Supporting Member

This post is worthless without PICTURES!!!

3. The bear

The bear Member

Thanks for the review!
    Did you ever compare it to a 1-35?
    My impression is that the Soco is a little deeper sounding. I am wondering if the pcikups are the same in these two guitars...

4. trwigg

trwigg Member

I did not personaly compare it to the i-35 but have been told that is is more rock -n- roll than the I-35. I don't think the p/u's are the same and yes the tone is not overly treblely very mellow if you want it to be or it will flat out rock - very versatile in my opinion.

5. trwigg

trwigg Member

Sorry Dave - posted pics just for you ;-) Enjoy!!

6. Dave Orban

7. fretnot

fretnot Gold Supporting Member

1st off, congrats on the new beast! Secondly, did you say you got rid of the City Limits because you didn't like the pickups? Did you ever consider changing them?

8. trwigg

trwigg Member

You know, I did think about changing them but I guess I am just not a Les Paul player. I actually had hoped I could spec a p/u before I bought it but that was not an option. I hadn't had any dealings with Lollar p/u's so I went with it and was disappointed with what they were. On the other hand, the Lollars in the SoCo are just amazing - really is night and day from the CL.

9. Dave Orban

Do you know if the SoCo's pickups are a different wind, from what he uses in the City Limits...?

10. trwigg

trwigg Member

Dave, I would have to guess they are from the tone. The CL p/u's just sounded weak to me and the SoCo p/u's seem to have more output and an organic bloom to them - very nice for the style of music you play.

11. AD

AD Supporting Member

"I got rid of my City Limits because I thought the P/U's were lame"

I respect your thoughts and wanted to add that my experience was polar opposite...I thought the Lollars in my two CL's were stellar....

Nice looking guitar btw.

12. sqadan

sqadan Member

I tried a Collings 290 recently and was blown away by both the sound and playability... Collings makes great guitars. Their acoustics aren't half bad either ;-)

13. The bear

The bear Member

Beautiful guitar!

How's the weight of your Soco, and does it balance well on the strap?
    I noticed you have the bigger headstcok.

So it can be jazzy also, right?

Enjoy the axe, I am seriously considering one!

14. trwigg

trwigg Member

I think it weighs around 7lbs, I didn't put it on a scale but is considerably lighter than my 335. The balance is is also spot on. It can do jazz very well, you'll be having that "Wes" thing happening! I opted for the flared headstock because I thought it gave it a more distinct look, pure vanity but what the heck you only go around once! You will not be disappointed if you decide to get one and you can't go wrong if you get it from Stu at Fat Sound Guitars, great guitar and a great shop.

15. The bear

The bear Member

Hey, thanks for the info!
    I tried one for 10 minutes and was very impressed as well. Unfortunately I couldn't try it with a strap, or through different amps. Only with a swr solidstate, played clean. Still I loved the way it sounded.
    Enjoy it!

16. lazymonday

lazymonday Member

Ditto on CL pickups being stellar.

and

Ditto +50 on "Nice looking guitar btw."

17. The bear

The bear Member

How's the Soco?
    Any new impressions?

18. bforest4

bforest4 Supporting Member

I am pretty sure the pickups are the same, you just heard the semi hollow add more of a 3D effect and bloom. I wouldn't think they would put hotter pickups in a semihollow vs. a solidbody. Maybe the pickups were lower in the soco deluxe. I played them back to back, and heard the same thing, I like the soco better.

19. trwigg

trwigg Member

If I remember correctly the pickups in the CL are Imperials and the ones in the SoCo are labled "Jason Lollar Custom Wind", as far as the difference anybody's guess!! I just know I am blown away byt the SoCo tone and playability.

EDIT: After checking on this p/u issue the CL p/u's are labled Jason Lollar Humbuckers 8.3K Bridge and 7.5K Neck and the SoCo p/u's are just labled "Jason Lollar Custom Wind". To me they sound totally different regardless of the SoCo being semi hollow.

20. The bear

The bear Member

My guess is that Collings/Lollar develops different pickups for each model.
    They show amazing attention to detail, and that's why they are able to produce such amazing and great sounding instruments!