• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Color Blind Mod for 2-Color LEDs

MomentFX

A few years ago, I helped a color blind guy with a pedal LED problem. I thought I’d share it here, since it’s a cheap solution, and no one would ever find it on my blog. (If you don't feel like reading, see the illustration below.)

I was asked to replace a dual-color LED in a TC Electronics Ditto Looper pedal. The guy has a variation of color blindness that prevents him from distinguishing red from green, and those are the two colors in the Ditto's LED. I was too scared about ruining someone else’s pedal, so I thought a non-invasive solution would be better.

I had some 3-D glasses on hand (Red and Blue) and cut the lenses out. I cut two little squares—one of each color—and stuck them side-by-side on a piece of tape. I placed the tape over the LED so that the line between red and blue was right in the middle of the LED (see illustration below). Green would have been a better choice than blue, obviously, but I went with what I had on hand, and this seems to work well as is -- the guy was pretty excited about it.

Because the red lens makes the red LED brighter and the green darker than it would be ordinarily, and the blue lens makes the red darker and green brighter, when the LED is red, the left half of the lens lights up. When the LED is green, the right half lights up.

There are surely countless ways to make this solution look better, but this quick, cheap and easy solution works in a pinch.

Last edited:

monty

A few years ago, I helped a color blind guy with a pedal LED problem. I thought I’d share it here, since it’s a cheap solution, and no one would ever find it on my blog. (If you don't feel like reading, see the illustration below.)

I was asked to replace a dual-color LED in a TC Electronics Ditto Looper pedal. The guy has a variation of color blindness that prevents him from distinguishing red from green, and those are the two colors in the Ditto's LED. I was too scared about ruining someone else’s pedal, so I thought a non-invasive solution would be better.

I had some 3-D glasses on hand (Red and Blue) and cut the lenses out. I cut two little squares—one of each color—and stuck them side-by-side on a piece of tape. I placed the tape over the LED so that the line between red and blue was right in the middle of the LED (see illustration below). Green would have been a better choice than blue, obviously, but I went with what I had on hand, and this seems to work well as is -- the guy was pretty excited about it.

Because the red lens makes the red LED brighter and the green darker than it would be ordinarily, and the blue lens makes the red darker and green brighter, when the LED is red, the left half of the lens lights up. When the LED is green, the right half lights up.

There are surely countless ways to make this solution look better, but this quick, cheap and easy solution works in a pinch.

p { margin-bottom: 0.1in; line-height: 120%; }
Great idea! Now if you come up with a solution for the tone deaf gimme a call please :)

TheoDog

Silver Supporting Member
That's a novel fix- cool idea! We normally do a free LED swap for anyone that has trouble distinguishing Red/Green on our pedals, changing them to Red/Blue.
I just got returned a MLjr with I refer to as the hi contrast LED solution. There is one mode where, according to my kids, the light is purple (red+blue filament of the dual LeD). But due to its location in the sequence of 4 modes, I think it will be effective for me.

I have sometimes wondered if there was a filter that could be added to eyeglasses to help with this, some sort of variation of polarization. I know there are specialized glasses that are said to compensate for a true color blindness, but the heartstrings videos show them to be very dark lenses.

The thought of lensing the existing LED is very clever. @MomentFX , do you have a video of this in action?

Trending Topics