Colorsound overdriver and its clones...anyone played/heard one??

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by riffpowers, Oct 9, 2005.

1. riffpowers

riffpowers Member

I'm toying with the idea of getting a colorsound overdriver clone, I'm told it gives a nice fat meaty boost that sounds like a 70's tube amp and transparent too.
    I'll be running it into a matamp in an attempt to get that cranked up tone at reasonable volumes as well as using it as a solo boost at band practice.
    Anyone played one??

2. theelectic

theelectic Guest

They're very transparent. Used to use one with my Twin until I realized how stupidly loud the combination was!! Don't know if they sound like a '70s tube amp that much, but when you crank the gain, the last 10% or so gets real fuzzy and distorted. Below that, it's clean clean clean. Make sure you get one with four knobs - gain, treble, bass, and a master volume. The master is ESSENTIAL if you want to use it distorted - otherwise it's just too friggin' loud. Don't worry about the master killing tone or anything, provided it's put in the right place, when you turn it up to full it's just like not having one at all. Also, the better clones tweak the tone stack values somewhat to get a more musical midrange... but the stock values sound fine as well.

3. DANOCASTER

DANOCASTER Supporting Member

riffpower -

Get a Pro Analog Power Driver !! Its the best clone I've tried - actually it may not be a clone but rather Scotty's take on a Colorsound Overdriver

Either way - its a KILLER

4. riffpowers

riffpowers Member

I saw them on my travels on th eweb, unfortunately no soundclips though.
    So what do you think??Will it give my big fat bassy 70's stoner/blues matamp a nice thick solo boost, as well as giving a small cleanish amp a heavy slab of sludgy fat riffage??!!

5. e-flat

e-flat Supporting Member

Riffpowers:
    I owned a Reissue Colorsound Powerboost back when I still had my 120 watt Matamp 2X12. (The Powerboost is the same as an Overdriver, as far as i know...Just different packaging) I tried that amp with a Hotcake, Everman Fuzz Drive, Menatone Blue Collar, a few different fuzzes, and on and on.....It absolutely hated everything except the Colorsound. Go figure.
    I think you'd do well with that OD circuit + your Matamp. My old Matamp was absolutely STUBBORN with pedals...I'm sure yours isn't that hard to match up.
    FWIW, I'd go with the Power Driver if I were you. I don't own one, but I do have one of Scotty's Dual Drives and it is awesome. If I can get the $ together, I'm definitely going to check out one of his PDs. I think they're $250 ?
    Good luck.

6. Non-Digital Tom

Non-Digital Tom Member

Hi Riff, I know you've already seen it...

But here's a nice description of an original Colorsound Overdriver,

Right Here

7. DANOCASTER

DANOCASTER Supporting Member

OH YEAH !! Scotty asked me to do some clips like I did for the Dual Drive - but I was just TOO busy. I believe Mark Williams is doing some now

I think you would LOVE it !!:dude

8. riffpowers

riffpowers Member

THanks for that, my matamp is very stubborn and unforgiving too, sounds like you've had the same kind of hunt that I've been having for pedals that go with it.
    So can you describe the sounds you can get with it???Do you think I;ll get a thick fat creamy lead boost as well as a sludgy rythm sound???

9. e-flat

e-flat Supporting Member

Keep in mind that my Colorsound was a reissue, and also that Scotty's PD is BASED on the original Colorsound circuit. I'm sure he's made a lot of improvements / refinements.
    Having said that, I wouldn't describe the Colorsound PB that I owned as "creamy" at all. The thing I loved most about it was that it was a very "open" sounding, uncompressed overdrive. Perhaps that is why it worked well with my Matamp. It has a lot of boost available, but the Gain knob (this was the 4 knobber) allows you to dial in quite a bit of grit even at unity level. As mentioned in some other threads, this circuit has a change of character on the gain knob once you get past about 3:00. It starts to get a slightly fuzzier OD tone here...really nice.
    So, I think this type of pedal willdefinitely work to bump the Matamp up a notch for solo work, or could be used to get great overdriven rhythm tones with plenty of clarity. Sludgy and Creamy though...I don't think the Colorsound is what you want. Clear, Open, "British", plenty of boost, flexible EQ and very natural sounding before 3:00 on the gain. After 3:00 on the gain, you get some heavily overdriven , kinda fuzzy tones that are still very dynamic and not very compressed. Hope this helps.

10. riffpowers

riffpowers Member

Sounds really good, could be what I'm looking for.By creamy I meant thick(not thin, shrill or trebly), so if you're saying that its a natural sounding boost thats thick and open and can go from clean to fuzzyish, then it could be the one for me!!If it worked on your matamp, its a good bet it'll sound good with mone.

11. e-flat

e-flat Supporting Member

Forgot to mention...
    I think that a Power Boost/Overdriver type circuit would work great in the roles you describe. They can effectively emulate a "cranked" tone at decent volume. They also have enough output to slam the crap out of an amp at full volume.
    And if the amp is "sludgy" or "creamy" sounding, I'd bet the PB could be dialed in to accentuate thos qualities. Matamps that I've heard, though, have a very tight, dark tone. For a creamy or sludgy sound, you might be better suited with a nice fuzz. Hopefully Muddy will chime in...He has a Pro Analog Power Driver and could probably comment specifically on that pedal. If I remember correctly, he commented that the PD was capable of some sag , so maybe the PD is a bit more "spongy" than the original or reissue Colorsound circuits.

12. riffpowers

riffpowers Member

e-flat, you've described exactly what I wanted from the pedal.
    I've never been very good at describing tones, and matamps do have their own sound, which is hard to match up with a pedal.
    Originally I wanted a pedal to plug into the 2 watt mini matamp I've ordered that would emulate the sound of my cranked up matamp GTL which is a very big dirty amp, whereas the mini will be a cleaner and a lot smaller.
    When the colorsound type od was recomended to me I though that if it could give me a nice fat solo boost on my GTL as well, then it would be definately worth getting,like killing 2 birds with 1 stone. and I could use it instead of my catalinbread spp which is what I use at the moment for boosting leads on my GTL, which is ok but not great.
    It sounds like this might be the way to go, what do you reckon??!!

13. cubba65

cubba65 Member

Hey Blokes....
    My ProAnalog Power Driver just arrived. I haven't had the chance to test it yet but will do so tonight a bit and over this week some more, with a rehearsal later in the week and will let ya's know what I think of it.

14. THROBAK

THROBAK Gold Supporting Member

The treble and bass controls offer allot of adjustment. One of the advantages of the circuit is that you can use it to add body to an otherwise thin sounding amp. It does not squish the low end but you can use it to give a nice full clean or dirty sound.

15. brad235

brad235 Member

http://www.1970tiacarrera.com/

this is the band that originally got me interested in that pedal. they have some soundclips on thier website and i love thier sound. thier guitar players a monster.
    i actually emailed mr throbak about his colorsound clone a month or so ago. any word on how thats coming along? still looking foward to trying that one out! brad

16. THROBAK

THROBAK Gold Supporting Member

brad235,

Not spamming here so I will preface that there are many clones of this circuit out there that are well made and sound great. In fact I think probably many 4 knob boutique boosts out there are some variation on this circuit.

As far as mine goes I just got the final circuit board Gerber files from my layout guy yesterday. If all goes to plan I will have it ready early to mid November. My version has the master volume and I have added a switchable pregain adjustment and switchable Germanium clipping diodes to make it even more flexible. The original circuit is in tact but the pre gain and clipping can be switched in if you want it.

I can tell from the second clip that they are using an Overdriver. A kind of MC Five flavor to the sound.

17. brad235

brad235 Member

nah, i wouldnt consider it spam....im the one who asked you about it :D i like the clips of your other pedals, so ive been keeping an eye on your power boost clone. plus, i like small box pedals. good deal on the november release date.

i was hoping the 30 minute "clip" would be a good example of its sound. im glad that it is. now if i could just play like that :p brad

18. jgyn

jgyn Member

I have the Prescription Electronics Overdriver, which I like alot. Sounds best on an amp that's a tad driven.

19. Patch

Patch Gold Supporting Member

Hi!

Another choice is the Divided by 13 Joyride.
    It is also based on the Colorsound Power Boost (or the Overdriver?)
    I have one that has been lightly modified by Pro Analog and the sound is killer. I'm sure it sounds good coming right from Fred at D13.

Pat

20. Garygtr

Garygtr Almost as good! Silver Supporting Member