Colorsound Overdriver Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by gang twanger, Mar 12, 2008.

1. gang twanger

gang twanger Member

Since I've never seen one of these here, I though I would start one.

I don't care if you have an original Colorsound Overdriver/Power Boost, or one of the more recent clones such as the Pro Analog Power Driver, Throbak Overdrive Boost, Prescription Electronics Rx Overdriver, or any others I have not mentioned. Please submit any sound clip links you know of, or any you recorded yourself. The more the better. I myself own a Throbak OD/Boost and it's the best-sounding, most-enjoyable pedal I've ever had, period.

Side note---I got the news a bit late, but I just found out about Jeff Healey passing away from cancer on March 2. It deeply saddens me to hear that. He was one of the best ever and I will miss him very much. Amazing live performer!

Now lets hear that Overdriver appreciation, people!!
    :dude

2. CWFurst

CWFurst Member

Love my RX. I think there are only a handful of us on this board who actually dig this circuit. Oh well...

3. gang twanger

gang twanger Member

I know!! I had to be sure; that's why I put it out there. It's a real shame. Such a great circuit certainly deserves more respect than this.

It certainly deserves a bump or two. Bump. Bump.
    :jo

4. SonicVI

SonicVI Member

5. gang twanger

gang twanger Member

By the way, I don't know if it was you or someone else, but I love that sound clip of the Rx Overdriver on the Musictoyz website. Great playing, and it really demonstrates that combination of fuzz and bottom-heavy amplike overdrive.

6. gang twanger

gang twanger Member

That's pretty cool. I never saw that page before, just the regular one. I wish that there were more audio clips out there. I can't get enough of that sound. It's like a warm blanket to me.

7. gang twanger

gang twanger Member

I love how, on the Macari's My Space page, 4 out of the first 8 people on the "friends" list are dead.

TEPR likes this.
  8. gang twanger

gang twanger Member

It amazes me how few people are into the Overdriver circuit, considering the amount of reviews on HC (of the clone I have), and the fact that every one gives it 10's across the board. Other clones get 10's as well.

9. jgyn

jgyn Member

Have both the Rx and the Throbak.

10. eastcoast1

eastcoast1 Member

Whats up people. Recently ive developed a substantial interest in this circuit. Besides throbak and Rx does anyone else make an overdriver?

11. dorfmeister

dorfmeister Member

12. dorfmeister

dorfmeister Member

13. carltonh

carltonh Member

I got my ODB new almost exactly two years ago. It was the first pedal I had bought new in a decade. It and the BBD are the only pedals I've ever bought new that I still own.

The Throbak ODB in combination with a MI Audio Blue Boy Deluxe is still the most impressive 2 pedal stack I've ever found. I had both the BJF BBOD and the Jetter GSR, but the combination of ODB and BBD can do everything those can.

Yes, that's right, a Colorsound Overdriverr clone into a super versatile Tubescreamer type pedal can get Dumble sounds that can equal the best of the best of deservedly popular pedals.

Now, you could probably get most of the same tones with slightly different pedals. I can get most of the same combination by using my Tonefactor Hellbilly instead of the ODB, and some other Tubescreamer types could possibly substitute for the BBD.

Just for reference, the Hellbilly can get most of the same tones as the ODB, but with a little more midrange. So another pedal that could probably do similar is the Lovepedal White Dragon. Although I haven't had a COT, the ODB and Hellbilly can get most of the COT sound clip tones.

14. bwc3000

bwc3000 Member

I've had mine for over a year now and it's my favorite overdrive pedal. I've been using it live since last winter and I'm constantly amazed at the range of sounds...clean boost, overdrive, Band-of-Gypsys-like fuzz. It works great with both my Tele and my Les Paul Studio. At first I was using it to get a compressed, Byrds-like clean chime, but lately I've been using it with my Les Paul to get some great, natural-sounding break-up. I've only got two other pedals on my board--an HBE Uno Mos booster and analog delay--and the Colordrive is the centerpiece. The only other overdrive I've liked this much is my old MXR Distortion + which I've had since the early '90s. We're recording our new CD so I should have some clips with the Colorsound up on our website in the next few weeks...
    Dave's a really nice guy and makes great pedals--the Colordrive is definitely worth trying out.

15. mild

mild Member

Just guessing here... but I thought the Skreddy Skrewdriver was loosely based on the Colorsound Overdriver too?

16. gang twanger

gang twanger Member

I heard the same thing somewhere. Like you, I'm not 100% sure.

17. gang twanger

gang twanger Member

Pro Analog makes the Power Driver. I have not tried one myself but according to popular demand, everything Scotty makes is good. Check out GuitarBrent's U-Tube clip with a PRS/Power Driver/Germino Lead 55.
    And as far as my 2 cents on the Throbak is concerned, I had learned of it about a year ago. I had heard of the Colorsound Overdriver probably twenty years ago, but never really knew what it sounded like, or that Jeff Beck had been it's most prominent user. But I have always been a huge Beck fan, so when I learned of the Throbak, I liked the sound of the clips, read all the positive reviews (and there are a lot of them on HC, All 10's), and after some consideration, decided to buy one. And I have never enjoyed a piece of gear as much as I have this. Amazing tones and SO versatile.
    That's what lead me to buy a Fuzz Haze. And I'm loving that as well.

18. todd richman

todd richman Senior Member

One of my favorite OD sounds into a bigger Marshall ever and very versatile as Gang Twanger has said in this and other threads. It can go from a dark or sprakly boost through classic rock OD to silicon fuzz and is very responsive to volume knob adjustment on the guitar. The only other OD pedal I like as much is the Univox Uni-Drive which is similar in many ways and was produced, albeit in limited numbers, around the same time as the Colorsound.

19. gang twanger

gang twanger Member

I agree 100%. I played my Overdrive Boost through some other amps and it loves the old Marshall-style amp circuits. Great for Plexi and JTM 45 heads, and also (from sound clips I've heard) sounds really nice through Germino (vintage Marshall replica) rigs. Voxes too. Not to mention, it sounds like it was designed to be a perfect match for the Fender Custom Vibrolux and I can't wait to part out a few things to raise the money for that one.
    I know I keep bringing up this pedal a lot, but I've never enjoyed one as much as this. It's like, you know if you have a great piece of gear if it makes you play better. And it has definitely made me a better player, in large part because it has me playing so much more.
    :horse Bad horse!!

I wish there were more sound clips of this circuit out there because I love hearing other people use that sound. Whoever played the Rx Overdriver clip on the Musictoyz website can absolutely rip on guitar. I love players that really know how to get inside a note, which really benefits a dirt pedal like this (The Colorsound Overdriver circuit is a very beefy, dynamic, feel'y kind of sound, which is great for someone who knows how to use it).

20. gang twanger

gang twanger Member

Has anyone out there bought or tried the Macari's reissue of the Overdriver? I love the shape of the enclosure and the cartoonish graphics. Very retro and cool, the way many pedals from the '70's looked.