Colorsound wah-wah pedal... I have a question...

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by S. Hawk Ltd., Feb 17, 2006.

1. S. Hawk Ltd.

S. Hawk Ltd. Member

I had one many years ago that was destroyed. Foolishly, I never did replace that pedal...

But, I think I have some sense these days to realize it would be difficult to acquire one, if not locate one... I'm sure that they are rare now a days and for good reason...

I felt Colorsound made one the best wah pedals that I've heard and played through, (subjectively speaking of course)... Those who owns one these cool pedals may feel as I do and are reluctant to let them go... I don't blame them, I definitely wouldn't either...

Recently, I've posted around that I am looking for one after all these years... And, not just for nostalgic reasons! As I mentioned, the Colorsound wahs were nice

At any rate, I am asking if anyone who knows the Colorsound wah tone and mechanism of the pedal... ARE there companies out there that builds wah pedals similar to the Colorsound? Or better yet, replicate them?

Thanks in adavnce and thanks for listening.

2. drolling

drolling Member

A Coloursound Fuzzwah was the first effect I ever owned. I would have preferred a Vox or a Crybaby like my heroes Jimi & Eric played, but they weren't available in my town at that time. I'll never forget those countless nights spent wailing on my bolt-neck Les Paul copy, pumping away at that pedal - and how shocked I was when I finally got an amp to plug it into.

Unlike the more commomplace cast metal designs, the Coloursound had a thin, lightweight casing that was prone to constantly flipping over and the uniquely voiced fuzz circuit's major strength lay in picking up radio stations - often two or three at a time.

I was forever tightening the screws of the treadle, in a fruitless attempt to get those "parked" tones that many players use, but due to its futuristic *less-is-more* design, my efforts proved inevitably futile.

The wah's tone itself - described by those in the know as "vowelly" - sounded simply "vomity" to my young & untrained ears, perhaps a function of the circuit board's highly sought after 'tropical fish' resistors. At the time, these parts were only available at select 'Mom & Pop' electronic shops for around a buck a bucketfull - but you've gotta remember that a dollar went a lot farther in those days.

It sat in my closet for many years, till one day when I finally traded it in for a couple of sets of strings. The kid at the counter said he was only taking it because of the psychedelic paintjob I did to cover up the original dayglo orange.

I can't even begin to describe the astonishment I feel when I see these going for hundreds of dollars today, as I felt really lucky to get the strings, and laughed all the way home...

3. g3rmanium

g3rmanium Member

Well, the show up on e*ay fairly often. Check ebay.co.uk.

4. JLee

JLee Supporting Member

They do show up regularly on Ebay. Or try Teese's Wheels of Fire Wah which is modeled after the Colorsound Wah/Fuzz/Straight. At least tonewise.

5. S. Hawk Ltd.

S. Hawk Ltd. Member

Right on, Drolling! Mine was a deep purple color. I thought it was sturdy enough. Nice tone that I liked a lot! Kind of in the middle. Got commented often about the tone... Used it more than the Cry Baby, or the Vox that I owned, (they were destroyed too in the fire). I especially liked that particular one because it had a long throw.

Anyway, that was quite a piece of history there, son. And, a fine story at that!
    I never had the problems you described about your fuzz wah-wah thing. But man... Sorry that you did!

And, sorry I paraphrased your tale of woe... (Honestly, it was a little on the windy side). LOL!

At any rate, thanks for the comments guy!

Thanks for helping out, G3 & Abbe. Actually, I'm not looking for the fuzz/ wah. It was just a straight up wah-wah 30+ years ago... There is a photo of it in Analog Mike's book of vitage effects.
    Thanks!

6. gururyan

gururyan Member

7. todd richman

todd richman Senior Member

The Teese Wheels of Fire is a replica of the Colorsound Fuzz Wah Straight without the fuzz. Go to www.realmccoy.com for info and call Geoffrey Teese to discuss it too.

8. Grap

Grap Member

Those old Colorsound pedals. I had a Wah and an Overdriver. The Overdriver was sold along with a transistor amp and a bolt-neck Les Paul copy to a mate at University for a hundred quid in about 1980. The Wah I left at a mate's place while I did a company relocation back in '85 and I never got around to claiming it back. He's also holding a coupleof my guitars and my Vinyl LP collection while I'm expatriate. Anyhow, I checked his band's web site a few months ago and it appears he's using the thing live, dodgy pot and all ;)

- Steve

9. woude

woude Member

I *think* that link is not the right one ;-D

try this one
    http://www.realmccoycustom.com/