Colossus and Muff Usage In General

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Guitarbrett, Feb 3, 2012.

1. Guitarbrett

Guitarbrett Supporting Member

I just got a Mojo Hand Colossus in yesterday. Only got to play it for about 5-10 minutes, but it's huge and versatile. Compared to my Little Big Muff, it sounds ALOT bigger and more harmonically pleasing (though the LBM is a great pedal, especially considering price).

Now, the thing is, when I turn on the Colossus, it's massive. It really sounds great, but even in the bass cut mode it's way bigger sounding than any of my other pedals. If I turn it off, and turn on the Plimsoul or Screwdriver, they sound small and boxy by comparison. It's hard to to imagine using all these pedals live together.

So for all you muff users, do you find it hard to balance out your sound when using a muff with other overdrives and/or fuzzes?

2. david(j)

david(j) Supporting Member

i had that issue with the way huge swollen pickle. the low end was hard to tame. other than that i thought it was an awesome fuzz.

i've been really interested in the colossus, so i'll look forward to the responses here.

3. FuzzGazer

FuzzGazer Member

A lot of that hugeness disappears in a band context @ full volume.

4. muffinman

muffinman Member

I always run my Colossus in the middle toggle position; when it's in the up or down positions it sounds ginormous but it's just too much bass in my rig, esp. compared to other dirt pedals.

5. strombie

strombie Member

Same here. I have the Way Huge Swollen Pickle on my board and it is MASSIVE to say the least. When my ears start to bleed, I'll switch over to any of my Fulltone overdrives (PS, OCD, FD2) and they feel so small - great tone - but small in comparison the Pickle. Doesn't really bother me, but I concur with your experience.