Colour me Orange

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by steadygarcia, Feb 15, 2008.

1. steadygarcia

steadygarcia Member

Orange 30 Rocker head ... or Vox AC30 TB? Or perhaps Orange Tiny Terror -- although I have my doubts about using this for gigging clubs?

2. VanR

VanR Senior Member

I own an Orange Tiny Terror. I haven't gigged with it yet, and I haven't taken it off the 7 watt setting yet. It's gonna be plenty loud enough for any of the clubs I play around here.

3. steadygarcia

steadygarcia Member

Really?? Wow, that's great to know, thanks! I may have to check one of those out. Looks like you can pick 'em up on eBay for under $500.

4. Gasp100

Gasp100 Silver Supporting Member

I really, really want to buy one of these Tiny Terrors. Between the clips, the size, the wattage and even the look it's pretty cool. Alas, I'm in no man's land for places to try these out and I'd hate to order and send back even MORE GEAR... Muscian's Friend is going to blacklist me soon :crazyguy
    Is it really THAT good? I mean, stock can it give up voxyish clean / edge of breakup - Marshall crunch - AND higher gain as well?

5. Trotter

Trotter Supporting Member

I'd love to try a Tiny Terror but no one sells them around here... how is the clean head room being only 7/15 watts?

6. re-animator

re-animator Senior Member

to me they are not really comparable.

Vox's have their own thing going on.... chime on the top boost channel... sing and crunch on the normal channel.

the Tiny terror is much less complex sounding harmonically. Its sort of a 1-2 trick pony. The cleans are really middy... doesn't have too much range. its got a great sound, but its not gonna cover as much ground. Also you'll have trouble going from clean-crunch in the same setting volume wise.

7. VanR

VanR Senior Member

I think it basically has that Orange sound. Not quite like any other amps, those Oranges. Maybe not as Orangey as some of the full sized amps, but close. I think I need a Vintage 30 in my cab. That's basically the speaker Orange's seem to sound best with. I've been jamming mine with my band on the 7 watt setting and the volume on about 10-11 o'clock. So the little sucker is plenty loud. Of course I did fall in love with the new Orange Thunderverb 50. Wow what a great sounding amp. Seems like I have finally found my sound. Now if I can come up with $2200. :jo

8. vchizzle

vchizzle Supporting Member

Both Oranges have alot of gain compared to an AC30TB. so it depends on what sound you're after. To me the TT is not a band amp if you need much headroom or play with a loud drummer. It may work great for some people, but not in any situation that I've played in unless it was something I'd be playing it wide open most of the time.

I general I would look at it like this - Brighter, jangly, open = Vox...darker, more distortion, more focused = Orange

Oh, I do love the TT btw...its awesome, I just couldn't use it well in a band.

9. John Hurtt

John Hurtt Supporting Member

If you want to go "orange"....ahem....talk to Nick Greer. He'll hook you up with a marvelous Voxy/Marshall 'thang..

[​IMG]

10. CAC

CAC Member

I had a Tiny Terror. Cool amp, but really a one trick pony for live use. It was plenty loud, but for my use would have to be used with another head or amp to get passable cleans. If you just need dirt, or can A/B it with another amp live I would go for it.

11. VanR

VanR Senior Member

I'm thinking about buying another one to run in stereo on stage through my two Framus 1-12 cabs.
    I love mine. I haven't even turned any more of my amps on since I bought the TT.

12. jeffh

jeffh Silver Supporting Member

As someone mentioned at gig volumes, it's pretty tough to get clean tone out of it. You can a early breakup tone my backing the volume off but not a clean tone.

I have gigged with mine in a two amp setup with an AC15HH and the TT through the Vox Heritage 1x12 with a Celestion Blue, using a head bone. Very versatile setup and the two amps really compliment each other.

For situations where I don't need a real clean tone, I have run the TT trough my Bad Cat 2x12 ( G12H and V30). No problem keeping up with a sort of loud drummer playing a 7 piece Ayotte kit.

If you don't mic your amps, I doubt you are going to fill a large room with the TT. The 100 or less seat type places I play are great with the TT.

The only way I don't like the TT is through the cube type 1x12s. Both the Bogner and Orange 1x12 I have sound awful with the TT. Really boxy and radio sounding.

13. Gasp100

Gasp100 Silver Supporting Member

I bought TT last night and it should be here on Thursday. I have a 1x12 for now, but I'm also buying my buddy's (used to actually be mine) 80's Marshall 1965b 4x10 cab... I have high hopes for the TT through this.
    If I ever gig again (small settings) my dual setup would probably be Gries 5 for cleanish Fender, TT w/ Marshall for my drives (A/B/Y) setup.
    Any place louder than that, I'd have to justify a higher wattage amp... heavens no!
    :dude

14. steadygarcia

steadygarcia Member

Ok - so I ended up buying the Orange Rocker 30 head on e-bay! Can't wait to get it. Now I gotta try to find me a suitable cabinet. I know the Orange cabs have 2 V-30's in them - but I'm not sure that's what I want. I hear they;re not as smooth as the G12H30's. Currently, I own an Avatar 4x12 cab with two V30's and two G12H30's. But I want a smaller cabinet - I'm sick of hauling that thing around. Any suggestions? Should I buy a 2x12 cabinet or a 2x10? I could always pick up 2 empty 2x12 cabinets and put the V-30's in one and the G12H30's in the other - hehe!
    Just wondering if anyone has experience with this head and has any suggestions on a cabinet. I'm playing crunchy indie rock/power pop. Not looking for insane distortion, but nice crunch for rhythm playing. Thanks!

15. soulohio

soulohio Member

everybody swears by the Orange cabinets. Not a bad place to start with the V30's and not prohibitively expensive. You can always experiment with speakers. I am interested in Blues, old or purple Fanes, Scumbacks and Celestion G12-65's and G12-H30's. I'll bet the 65's are nice and would do double duty for me VT40.