Coloursound Overdriver clones?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by shakti, Jun 17, 2006.

1. shakti

shakti Member

Besides the Prescription Electronics RX Overdriver, which ones are out there?

2. Goldstrat

Goldstrat Supporting Member

The Throbak ODB is nice!

3. shakti

shakti Member

Wow, that looks really nice! I'm a sucker for good looks, and I like how it mimics the original...perfect size too! Thanks for the tip! Anyone here tried it? Which other ones are out there?

4. carlygtr56

carlygtr56 Senior Member

Vintage FX Colordrive

5. todd richman

todd richman Senior Member

1. Pro Analog Power Driver
    2. I have a DA*M Riffdriver en route from the U.K.-previousl owned for a very brief time by riffpowers of this forum-looks, sounds and feels exactly like an original down to the guts-unfortunately the D*A*M custom shop is temporarily closed so David can focus on the production models but an email wouldn't hurt-www.stompboxes.co.uk

6. shakti

shakti Member

D*A*M would be perfect - I have a custom Tonebender from back in the "good old days" when the custom shop was still open...;-) But I won't hassle him with requests at this stage.

How well does this kind of pedal do clean (and I mean *clean*) boost? It's not what I'd get it for, but nice if it would cover even more ground.

7. shakti

shakti Member

One more thing...how does it react to having a buffered/low impedance out pedal in front of it? Treble boosters sound like crap that way, as do most vintage-style fuzzes.

8. sanhozay

sanhozay klon free since 2009 Silver Supporting Member

I spent a wee bit of time with the Throbak ODB and fell hard for it. So...I ordered one for...Father's Day. Yeah, that's it. I ordered it to honor Father's Day. Anyway, lots of switches & knobs that at first made me want to go poopie, but once I caught on how to dial things in I started smiling. Wider and wider.

9. Ned

Ned Member

+1 on the Pro Analog Power Driver :dude so versatile

10. todd richman

todd richman Senior Member

Amazing clean boost and these pedals can be extremely loud. I do not think a buffered pedal in front would bother it as the trannies are silicon not germanium. Wish Scotty or David Main would chime in on this?

11. shakti

shakti Member

I'm not sure if you can say "silicon - OK" and "germanium - trouble". I think it's more an in/out impedance thing. My Wyllie Rising Sun (Superfuzz clone) doesn't have any problems being fed by a buffer, neither does the Octave in my CC2, but both silicon and germanium fuzzfaces as well as treble booster (Rangemaster clones) sound like crap that way.

12. jgyn

jgyn Member

I have a Prescription RX Overdriver that I like. But I'm also curious about the Throbak.

13. shakti

shakti Member

Still curious about driving this with a buffered signal. Anyone care to tell me about that? I just received my D*A*M Ram Head, and was kind of surprised to find that it didn't like to be run after my VHT Valvulator. I don't recall my old black Russian Big Muff reacting like that. It doesn't sound as bad as running a fuzzface after the Valvulator, but it does make it a little more brittle/harsh, and a little noisier. Running it before the Valvulator sounds *great* though, even fuller than the Ram Head just straight into the amp. Beautiful, beautiful pedal, and much more diverse than I expected...

But I digress...is there any tonal change *at all* from running a Throbak Overdrive Boost (or other Coloursound Overdriver clone) after a buffer?

14. teleblaster

teleblaster Member

Ive got one. My best pedal buy this year. Just a fantastic pedal! It gives the overdriver and alot more. The germ. switch is way cool. Also, it kicked my tim to the sell page. - mike

15. carltonh

carltonh Member

I've got the Throbak ODB too. I think it is the only fuzz I need. Besides a great clean boost, and Colorsound Overdriver tones, the germanium, pregain, master volume, and EQs let me get as close to a germanium fuzz face and Rangemaster as I need.

Teleblaster, I've still never got to play the Tim/Timmy. Does the ODB get the tones of those? I didn't think they would ... maybe except being similar in low compression warm clean boost settings.

16. shakti

shakti Member

Wow, I am feeling a GAS attack comin' up...but I just don't know how many more pedals I need in the boost/OD/distortion/fuzz dept...already have D*A*M Tonebender, NKT Sunface, Wyllie Rising Sun (Superfuzz), D*A*M Ram Head, Time Machine Boost, CC2 Hot Silicon fuzz, ZIM, Gainster......

If it can do clean boost and appraoch Rangemaster territory as well...hmm...but I do need to know how it reacts to buffers in front of it!

17. chrisgraff

chrisgraff Member

I've got an original, if anyone's interested. :AOK

18. teleblaster

teleblaster Member

What i used the tim for was a light grit big fat boost. The throbak does this very well in silicon mode. The EQ on the throbak is just as good as the tim. Although the tim is a fantastic pedal, i could'nt see keeping both and i choose the throbak.

19. shakti

shakti Member

Come on folks...*someone* must have put a buffered pedal in front of this thing!?

20. carltonh

carltonh Member

I've run a wah in front of the Throbak ODB and when the pre-gain switch is set to on, I think it works fine. Supposedly it isn't likely to work with the pregain switch set to the Colorsound standard circuit, so I haven't tried that yet.