Colt is ending civilian sales of AR-15 rifles

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by Fulldrive-1, Sep 14, 2019.

1. voodoosound

voodoosound Funk & Grooven member Silver Supporting Member

I'll disagree with that. Kimber? Nope, Springfield? Nope, Les Baer?comparable
    Ive shot them all. Colts are the most reliable running just abou any ammo. You don't have to have to buy special. It also shoots dirty much like the AK with no issues. As far as accuracy. The guns only as accurate as the person using it. I've shot at least 40000 rounds through a pair of Colt series 70 gov model before cleaning. No misfires on either.

burner, Lt Dak, fjblair and 2 others like this.
  2. Laelaps

Laelaps Member

As an owner of 3 AR rifles, all I can say is, few people will even notice. And they're all on this thread.

Without getting into politics, the market (in recent memory) was flooded with ARs. I remember (in the glory days) attending the Wanamacher gun show in Tulsa (the largest show in America: 4,000 tables), and hordes of people standing in line to buy ARs. On Gunbroker (picture ebay with guns), ARs were selling for five times their retail price.
    (Why, oh why didn't I divest myself of all my evil black stuff at that time?)

Manufacturers loved it. Smith and Wesson in 2006, cash and cash equivalents totaled ~$700,000. That's not good for a corporation their size. During the height of the panic: C&CE 2007: >$4 million. 2009? C&CE: ~$40 million. In their 10K report 2011, they affirmed their good fortunes were due to the panic.

Then everything changed. After everything calmed down and prices dropped, millions of gun owners realized they'd overpaid. The demand bottomed and gun stores that had opened to meet the demand were stuck with inventory they couldn't move. Locally, a lot of those stores closed. Some have gone to appointment only. I see pages and pages of guys trying to sell their ARs and have been doing so for months. Some of them, for years. They're not going to take less than they paid and nobody's paying those prices today.

Colt is simply responding to the market. If the political scene changes and they realize they can capitalize on panic buying, they'll be back.

DV52, Habou and Vintage_ like this.
  3. Dickie Fredericks

Dickie Fredericks Supporting Member

I'm pretty sure for the price of the Colt you could buy and build maybe 3? from PSA.

I know I built 2 PSA ARs for what I paid for one S&W AR.

I keep a Rancher in my truck.

4. zztomato

zztomato Supporting Member

5. Liquid Quarter

Liquid Quarter Silver Supporting Member

Agree...

My Colt Lightweight Commander S.S. is one of the best pistols I own, and I have many. I've had it 25+ years, no malfunctions, eats all ammo.

burner, Lt Dak and voodoosound like this.
  6. Fred132

Fred132 Member

I seem to recall that Colt announced no more consumer sales of any kind back in the 90s. Not sure what happened to subsequently change things.

7. CRAIG4FSU

CRAIG4FSU Whatever... Silver Supporting Member

I still want a Gold Cup. Always liked the one i shot,,,, that one time a long time ago...

Honestly, the Dan Wesson i just picked up rivals all the Colt 19911's i've shot.

8. Custom Deluxe

Custom Deluxe Member

9. teefus

teefus Silver Supporting Member

after colt's patents on the ar15 expired in 1977 there have been tons of other/better options for an ar15. they filed for bankruptcy in 2015. this probably wont help their bottom line.

Woodenfish, massacre and Floyd Eye like this.
  10. stimpson

stimpson Member

this is just great. what am i gonna do when my property is attacked by yetis ?

ZenArcade and Average Joe like this.
  11. Khromo

Khromo Supporting Member

This makes the most sense to me.

Other manufacturers can spin off a new model every other day, incorporating the newest caliber, barrel manufacturer, fore end and stock style, whatever the current flavor of the week dictates. Colt seemed to rely on less innovative models, even when the rest of the world was stampeding in other directions.

Colt makes excellent revolvers and 1911's. In difficult times, it often makes sense to fall back on what you know you can do really well. How long would new and well-executed Pythons and Detective Specials stay on the dealer's shelf? "I'll have one of each, please!"

I just glanced over the Colt catalog. They have some really attractive 1911's in there at what look to be pretty fair prices. Some good possibilities for the "gunsmith-not-absolutely-necessary" market. This little guy caught my eye as well:

https://www.colt.com/detail-page/night-cobra-38spl-32

Lt Dak likes this.
  12. Vintage_

Vintage_ Member

Call up Yukon Cornelius?? :)

CRAIG4FSU likes this.
  13. urizen

urizen Member

Yeah, but fans still have plenty of resources...I'm still bummed (more bummed, in fact) that Browning has discontinued the Hi-Power---I really like (love) that pistol and have been trying to pick up another (it'd be my 3rd----my first was stolen in a burglary) but I'm having a hell of a time finding one new-in-box anywhere.

Lt Dak and bluwoodsman like this.
  14. CRAIG4FSU

CRAIG4FSU Whatever... Silver Supporting Member

Agreed. Been looking as well. BUDS had a huge selection and they've been out of stock for a while. :(

urizen likes this.
  15. hogy

hogy Member

Sadly, that will never happen. Pythons were carefully hand fitted masterpieces built by a very small group of master gun smiths. I've read that it was as few as 5 people who built Pythons at any given time.

Those guys are all dead and gone. There is nobody to replace them, their skill is a lost art. Like actual vacuum tube engineers.

In fact, there are less than a handful gunsmiths left in the US today who are competent to work on a Python, and they are all in their sixties or beyond. Colt doesn't employ any of them and can't really fix a Python anymore. In fact, they won't even refinish a Python, because they no longer have people who know how to do a Royal Blue. This is not hyperbole, sadly. I've talked to them.

burner, DV52, Tripower455 and 2 others like this.
  16. CheckSix

CheckSix Gold Supporting Member

I've got a early 70's 4" nickel Python that could actually use a tune up... but I've got no idea on who can do a competent job. It's a problem.

burner and Tripower455 like this.
  17. dspellman

dspellman Member

I never really cared for the .223 ARs.
    I much prefer the .308 versions. As for who sells what... I have stock. I don't care.

18. Timcito

Timcito Member

It's a very odd thread given that one obvious interpretation ruffles some very delicate feathers.

19. hogy

hogy Member

Contact Frank Glenn in Arizona.

CheckSix and massacre like this.
  20. Thwap

Thwap Silver Supporting Member

No big, there are so many great makers out there right now.
    It's almost like guitars, you have the standard makers, and then a metric ton of "boutique" guys as well.
    Plenty of options.