Combination of Fender and Marshall... apples and apples?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by BigSB, Mar 10, 2015.

1. BigSB

BigSB Member

When someone says they want Fender clean and Marshall drive, don't they usually mean VINTAGE Marshall drive, which is essentially a loud cranked Bassman?

Or are they trying to have blackface clean and jcm800 drive, which would be an ugly two-headed monster not fit to live?

2. Optimus Rhyme

Optimus Rhyme Member

I don't really think the VINTAGE Marshall sound is really just a loud cranked Bassman. But I do agree that Fender blackface clean doesn't live sonically near the Plexi or jcm800/900 sound spectrum. They generally sound awful together, say if you had two amps and were A/B-ing at a gig. So to have them in the same channel switching boutique type amp, I just think you'd have to compromise one or the other to make them work together.

3. e???

e??? Member

I think they mean the monster. But it's a rare monster that some say doesn't really exist... (like the Centaur, but not the Klon, or wait maybe...)

4. buzzp

buzzp Member

I don't know... those vintage JTM45 cleans are something to behold. At the end of the day, a lot of us just want **** that doesn't exist.

5. garret

garret Member

I have a JTM45/50 clone and a friend has a vintage bassman. At times they do sound good together, other times not so much. Depends on the song and what pedals we are using.

The JTM has grit that the bassman cannot achieve. The bassman has huge presence and cleans that the JTM does not.

The bassman surrounds you in warmth. The JTM roars in your face. Both are great in there own right.

To verify it wasn't the cab and speakers we swapped the heads. The character of the amps remains the same.

6. jbraun002

jbraun002 Member

I think Bogner often gets this more right than wrong. I had a Duende that did this beautifully. And, while the cleans on the el34 shiva aren't quite Fender, they're really, really good and unify with the drive channel nicely imo. YMMV.

7. keepingitweird

keepingitweird Member

Would agree. My 20th Shiva has a fenderish clean, but it pairs well with the roar of the dirty channel.

8. Crimson Queen

Crimson Queen Member

9. kinmike

kinmike Supporting Member

SRV liked Fenders for leads and Marshalls for rhythm, kind opposite what most people would think.

10. tochiro

tochiro Member

I think Fargen makes a 2 channel amp that's Fender or Marshall.

11. bigtone23

bigtone23 Member

This is a rudimentary musing, so please excuse me: seems the desired Fender cleans are indeed the post tweed variety with the tone stack up front before the gain and the Marshall dirts are the cranked vintage to JCM800 style with the tone stack further down the line.
    I'm not sure I hear the disparity of these tones clashing when used together. I often use my Bassman Ten on an ABY with my DSL50 and it sounds good. Perhaps I'm missing some detail in my hearing..? Look at any of the modeling amps and go from a "Fender Twin" to "JCM800" and the tones are not oil and water.
    Lots of amp companies try to mix these worlds--90s Rivera comes to mind with a Fender-y and Marshall-y channel on many models. Played a Duende and liked it, too. To really build this beast would require a pretty extensive amp with very different signal paths-down to the power amp being reconfigured for the channel in use. It is an ugly monster.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2015