Combining Les Paul and Strat wiring?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by leftyvic, Dec 17, 2009.

1. leftyvic

leftyvic Member

I want to combine the flexibility of a Les Paul bridge-neck system with the convenience of the Strat-style wiring (master volume) on a three pickup guitar. The goal is to have independent volume and tone on neck and bridge pickups, so it can be set clean on the neck and flipped over for serious overdrive on the bridge pickup without having to grab the selector and the volume control.

I was looking at the Bob Weir Ibanez Cowboy guitar, and it occurred to me that it might be interesting to do three smaller knobs as volumes for each individual pickup, then have the larger knobs be a master volume, bridge-middle tone and neck tone. Wire all three pickups to a 5-way switch; two toggles for single-coil or double-coil pickups (gang the neck and bridge).

Does that sound feasible?

[​IMG]

2. EADGBE

EADGBE Member

It can be done.

3. rick13

rick13 Member

It can be done easily. I have a 6 way rotary switch setup in my HSH PRS ( 6 different pickup setting/configs) with a master volume,tone control, and split coils.
    Rick

4. leftyvic

leftyvic Member

Thanks ... what (if any) sort of adverse tone effect might it have to have an individual volume pot on each pickup before the master volume?

5. RvChevron

RvChevron Member

With a standard volume control, once you turn it down, you'd start loosing some high end, even when turned full up, it still "bleeds" some high frequency to ground, how much depends on the value of the pot.

Now wire two volume controls in series, as what you like to have here, you're gonna have even more of that high end loss effect.

Nevertheless, depends on the pickups and the amp, you might not find it to be a problem at all, some do, some don't.

There's the treble retention circuit which you can put on each volume pot to rectify the problem if you don't like the high end loss.