• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Combo amp vs head & cab

philamag87

Gold Supporting Member
I've been playing an Omega modded Blues Deluxe RI. It started out great but I don't if something has changed but I'm not liking the sound that much any more. It still seems a little bass heavy with some dry treblyness. I put new GT6L6GE power tubes in it. I tried the Cannabis Rex speaker but found it soften the highs too much and keeping that extra bass. I am open to trying a different speaker.

Wondering if it's time to go the head and cab route? I don't need a 4x10 but maybe a 1x12 or 2x10/2x12. What are the benefits of going with the head/cab setup?

Playing classic rock, pop, jam band and country. Currently using a LP Trad with 57/57+ pups.

HoboMan

Gold Supporting Member
The head & cab setup should give you a bigger sound depending on the cab.
I'm a fan of 2x12s.
Perfect blend of portability & big tone.

That being said, I use a 1x12 combo and set it on top of my 2x12 for gigs.
The 1x12 combo is great for going to jams.

JB6464

Silver Supporting Member
A speaker change will make a bigger difference in tone change than tubes.

philamag87

Gold Supporting Member
Do tubes actually make that much of a difference?

I will gladly try a different speaker, it just comes down to what one. I don't really feel the need to spend $200 on a speaker because at that point I would have around $1,100 into this amp.

JB6464

Silver Supporting Member
Do tubes actually make that much of a difference?

I will gladly try a different speaker, it just comes down to what one. I don't really feel the need to spend $200 on a speaker because at that point I would have around $1,100 into this amp.
Depends on the amps design.
I can say that after talking to Mike Soldano and Bill Sundt on the phone at Soldano Amplification , they stated that a speaker change has the most impact to making a tone change with that amp.

vbf

I prefer head/cabs when possible. I have two, Genz Benz George Lynch ported 2x12's and oh my goodness do they sound incredible...and big!!!!

jrjones

Silver Supporting Member
I use a head/cab for two reasons. 1)the ability to carry them one at a time to separate the weight, and 2)I primarily play at church and we mic amps offstage so I can keep my head close and run a long speaker cable offstage to the cab.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom