Combo Amp with my 11R

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by charley, Jan 31, 2012.

1. charley

charley Supporting Member

I am looking to get a combo amp to use with my 11r. My budget is keeping me around the $300 mark. Right now I am considering either a ZT Lunchbox or a Tech 21 TM30. I want to go with a lightweight combo for 2 main reasons. The first is portability. The second is that I would like to have a stand alone combo that I can still use when I am not using my 11R.

The Lunchbox is of interest to me because of its large amount of headroom and portability. 200 Watts seems like a nice amount of headroom, especially for use with an 11R. It's main shortcoming to me is that there is no effects loop. Unfortunately, the Lunchbox's big brother The Club is out of my price range. I am concerned about sending the 11R through the front end, since I still want to use the amp sims, just not the cabs.

The Tech 21 seems like a much better stand alone amp than the ZT. It's warm tone, effects loop, and the fact that it is a much more vibey amp really appeal to me. Still, 30 solid state watts don't seem like they would provide enough headroom for the 11R

My primary use for this setup is in an apartment where I must use low volumes. BUT, I still want a rig loud enough to gig with. If anyone has used either of these setups, and info would be great. I ant to hear the good the bad and the ugly.

Thanks.

2. jb4674

jb4674 Member

How about the Power Engine 60 instead?

3. lspaulsp

lspaulsp Gold Supporting Member

Tech 21 PE-60 or
    Mustang III was getting good reviews.

4. tech21nyc

tech21nyc Member

Our Trademark 30 is more of a recording/practice amp. It can be used for low volume gigs but it won't compete with a loud drummer. For that you need to send it's SansAmp output through the PA. You can try a beefier speaker or hook it up to a larger cab like a 212. It's a hard call. The 11R through the efx return would work quite well.

Our Trademark 60 is a better choice for a band and can work with a modeler but the speaker emulation in that amp is post efx return and can't be bypassed. We've had some customers use the TM60 with modelers and they really like the sound. Something you have to try for yourself.

The best choice for the 11R is our Power Engine 60 though it's not a standalone amp. One of my rigs is our PE60 with our Leeds pedal and some other pedals on a small pedal board and that works quite well.

5. charley

charley Supporting Member

Interesting about the speaker emulation. Does that mean that I can still use the speaker emulation controls on the amp, even with an 11R(cab sim off) plugged into the loop? Would the "Flat" setting provide the correct response to then use cab sims in the 11R?

6. lspaulsp

lspaulsp Gold Supporting Member

I've run mine into the effects return of my Flextone III and it works great. They can be had cheap

7. tech21nyc

tech21nyc Member

On the Trademark 30 the speaker emulation circuit is "before" the EFX return. It's only on the Trademark 60 that it is "after:" the efx return.

You could run the 11R either way, with its cab sims off or on while running into either the TM30. Because you are amplifying your signal through a guitar speaker, the speaker sim will not be as necessary as when running directly into a recording console or full range speaker.

briluster likes this.
  8. ratmtattat

ratmtattat Member

tech21, I know that you're going to be a bit biased here, but is there a difference between using an FRFR and the Power Engine 60 for amplification?

9. tech21nyc

tech21nyc Member

My "bias" is more personal preference than trying to steer anyone to our products.

I play direct quite a bit. Local gigs as well as many musical theater productions over the years which require you to go direct. At the U2 Musical Spiderman they use Fractals and you monitor with headphones/Avioms and they also have the a couple of monitor speakers in the band room.

For local gigs when going direct with my pedal board (Leeds, British pedals, compressor, OD pedal and Boost DLA,) I usually use my QSC K10's. I'm also singing and playing acoustic through those speakers and they are usually very low volume gigs. In that situation the QSC's are the most practical. If it's a band gig with drums and bass etc, I'll use one of my tube amps or my pedal board with a Power Engine.

My direct rig sounds fine with the QSC's but I much prefer the tone through the Power Engine or using another guitar amp's power amp and speaker. It's the most amp like because it is an amp vs playing an amp emulator or modeler through a SR speaker. For myself, I find the tone and response through a full range speaker a compromise.

When I do musical theater gigs and have to monitor with only headphones whether it be our SansAmp, POD, Fractal or even a real amp in an isolated room that's the biggest compromise. There is no guitar/speaker interaction in that situation. Just not my thing as a player. It goes beyond the "amp/electronic/analog/emulation/digital/modeling" technology at that point and is really more about the physics of moving air molecules and how that interacts physically with the guitar. You can't generate real feedback or natural sustain with headphones.

Sorry for the long explanation. In the end, it's up to each player to decide what he or she prefers and is ultimately comfortable with. I know quite a number of guys that are very happy with the direct/headphone route. Modeler or amp doesn't matter to them.

Having said all that, in many situations a loud tube amp is not always practical. Many times what I want and like is just the wrong approach for the given situation. For a really soft gig my direct rig or a modeler is the right tool for the job.

10. ratmtattat

ratmtattat Member

No need to be sorry, that is pretty much what I was looking for in an answer. :)