Combo + cab VS head and cab?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by MrMoose, Apr 18, 2016.

1. MrMoose

MrMoose Member

Most 1x12 combo amps seem to cost about as much as their equivalent heads. Is there any downside to running a combo into a 4x12 cab rather than running a traditional head/cab?

What I'm thinking is that I can buy a combo to use for rehearsals and then for gigs - if I choose - I can hook up the combo to my 4x12 cab - sweet!

Would this essentially be the same as running a head and cab? Just trying to determine if this is safe to do!

Thanks!

2. HoboMan

HoboMan Silver Supporting Member

As long as your combo has the speaker outs and correct impedance switch. Also you'll need to make sure the cab and cabinet are the same ohms.

I used to do this all the time with my Marshall JCM800 combo. I placed it on top of a Marshall 4x12 cab. Sometimes I used the combo and 4x12 speakers together, other times I only used the 4x12,

3. MrMoose

MrMoose Member

I didn't know you could run both the combo and cab together! How do you do that?

4. buddaman71

buddaman71 Student of Life Silver Supporting Member

many combos have an EXT CAB out.

5. HoboMan

HoboMan Silver Supporting Member

My Marshall had two speaker outs. I connected one to the internal speaker in the combo and the other speaker out I connected to the 4x12 cab.

MrMoose likes this.
  6. buddastrat

buddastrat Member

Yes, combos are super versatile, you have grab n' go. I used to do the same thing with a JCM 800 combo too. I'd usually just run a 4x12. But then had a Budda combo, and used to put the chassis into a head shell and it was versatile in that regard as I could keep size down. Usually the chassis is the same from the companies and you often can just buy a shell if you want and have both!

MrMoose likes this.