Combo + Extension Cab

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Jess 1971, Sep 26, 2018.

1. Jess 1971

Jess 1971 Supporting Member

I currently run two combo amps: a Splawn Super Sport 1x12 and a Dr. Z Maz 18 NR 2x10. For a while now I've been thinking of getting a smaller head (Marshall? Two Rock? Rivera?) and a 2x12 cabinet, mostly because I just miss the bigger sound you get when pushing multiple speakers. Thinking of maybe selling off my Splawn and getting a head/cab set. And then it occurred to me that perhaps I could just get a 1x12 extension cab and use it in conjunction with the internal speaker on my Splawn.

Do any of you guys use combo amps with additional extension cabinets running at the same time? Any pluses or minuses I should consider? I reached out to Splawn and I can get a matching extension cabinet (unloaded) for just $300 or so, so I'm thinking of pulling the trigger. Any thoughts?

2. dewey decibel

dewey decibel Member

we eat a lot of cheese and drink a lot of beer
    Go for it. Only thing is you might want to change the impedance when running the extension cab, but I’m pretty sure your amp has a switch. I’d ask them what they recommend.

Jess 1971 likes this.
  3. Rossi163

Rossi163 Supporting Member

If you really like the Splawn, then an extension cab is the logical choice. I would recommend one with removable back panels so you have more flexibility. Closed back for bigger venues, open back for smaller ones.

Jess 1971 likes this.
  4. Jess 1971

Thanks. Yeah, my Splawn currently has a 16-ohm 65-watt Creamback, so I would get another 16-ohm speaker in the extension cab and switch the output on the combo to 8-ohms.

5. Jess 1971

Good idea! I do really like the Splawn, and I think it would benefit sonically from the extra cab, which I think would open up the sound a bit.